SUGAR ADDICT about to go COLD TURKEY -Advice?

Options

Replies

• Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Well, I can understand what your going thru. I have some ideas that have helped me.

As long as we think of food in emotional romantic kind of ways - then it will be something harder to give up. The minute we change our attitude about food - thats when half the battle is won.

change "oh how the wonderful delectable chocolate flowed gently across my lips" to "its just fuel for the body", that will help you leave the powerful effect that food has on you, so dont romanticize it.

And then, just make a decision and just dont eat it, for a week. you can do it for a week. When the week is over, you probably will have changed your cravings and drive toward it. Also have something else that you eat instead of the food you want to give up.

I cannot do "everything in moderation" and so it seems drastic but really, the reward of losing all that weight and all that is attached to it, is worth it.

we get attached to food for things that its not meant to be. i mean poeple really get attached to food! its kinda like watching the show Hoarders and see how poeple get attached to plastic garbage that they cant throw out, i think wow how can they feel so affectionate toward a piece of plastic, but we do the same with food.

so be brave, go without it for a few days, substitute something else and enjoy that instead. and come back in a week and see results.
  • summerlovely91
    summerlovely91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Listening to how badly you have it in for sweets, I understand because i used to be that. I went cold turkey on sweets and anything sugary actually and it was so easy.
    I started with coffee. No sugar there
    Chocolates? Hate them so done!
    Jelly sweets, that was a nightmare. I still miss them but when i see the calories in them. Its enough for me to walk away
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am with the rest: FRUIT, specially the tropical sweet ones like mangoes, pineapple ... they are sweeeeeett.

I had your problem but only with chocolate.... now I eat a bit of 85% dark chocolate every day which they say it is actually healthy (i am sticking to this no matter what :) ) and found that I can cope with my chocolate cravings.

Before going to the gym and if i have sugar cravings I do a bit or organic no added sugar peanut butter with a bit of honey and a banana on a wholemeal bread. It has calories but it is a 'healthy' treat and banana + honey is sweet enough to help out.

I would say honey is good with sugar cravings as it is super sugary but a healthy item (in moderation sadly like everything else that is tasty in life)

:laugh:
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that there are certain foods you can eat when you have cravings that will help you combat them.

I can't/don't know how to upload a pic here so I posted in a blog:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PRguez/view/cravings-648785

It shows a chart depending the craving you are having what 'normal' foods help.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Replace with fruits - I did that once no picnic booboo. Headaches for over a week - migraine style!
  • dakrzone
    dakrzone Posts: 6
    Options
    I've seen a lot of good advice here but for me since I also have a sweet tooth it's pretty simple. There are certain things I just don't keep in the house anymore, like ice cream I know I'll devour it. By keeping certain high trigger foods away I know I am decreasing their stronghold on me over time.

Alternatively to satisfy my sugar cravings I try to make sure I buy prepackaged things so that I can better exercise portion control and build up will power over time. I also declared that dark chocolate is my ally and as a sweet is much better than other options. I now keep Fiber One brownies around for that sole purpose.

I used to love sugared drinks and weaned myself of that by substituting artificially sweetened single packs like Hawaiian Punch or Crush. I understand the artificial sweeteners are their own problem but it helped me kick soda and juice to the curb and also provided the sensation of having something icky sweet without the real calories and feeding the sugar addiction. Now I don't use them much at all either.

So my advice would be not to go cold turkey but certainly remove the high trigger sweets and replace them with better alternatives until you develop some more willpower then reintroduce them later. Use sugar alternatives in other areas to help you break your sugar addiction. I like low glycemic index sugars like coconut sugar and agave syrup. Taking regular sugars out of the lineup in a major way has helped calm my sweet tooth.

I think if you make some of these changes along the way you'll have aha moments where you realize you are no longer enslaved to sugar and it will empower you with self control to go further. When you do reintroduce certain things you'll notice if you've developed the willpower yet right away and it will be easier for you to temporarily banish them again until you think you're ready for another try.

Ultimately I just don't think denying yourself is a good long term option. I myself am not on a diet. I am changing my diet. Being an emotional eater my goal is not to limit or deny myself anything but to change my relationship with food for the long haul. I still eat certain things and as long as I don't go over in calories I'm still losing weight as I develop more discipline along the way.

Whichever way you choose to go we'll be here to support you!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've seen anyone mention Quest bars yet. Or are those not applicable to you? They have Stevia and very little sugar, but lots of protein. They're my go to snack, since I have a huge sweet tooth and sweets are my absolute favorite. They not only satisfy the craving but also keep me full!
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar for a few weeks last year. I too am a sugar addict! The first few days actually weren't that bad for me, but I imagine it's different with everyone. I didn't eat fruit for a while, but that was just coincidental. I still ate yogurt, but I gave up the cakes and cookies I loved. I didn't feel very different, but when I went to eat sugary cakes again, they tasted ten times sweeter. Same thing with fruit. I think our taste buds kinda build up a tolerance to the taste of sweetness when they're so used to having it.

Now, I try to enjoy sweets in moderation. I know a lot of people struggle with that, so I will not tell you to "just try moderation" as many have told me, but if you're ever ready, go for it :) good luck and I hope things go okay for you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, I know people suggested fruit, but I would also suggest checking out the greek yogurt section. They have some awesome "dessert" type yogurts now that have mixers with flavored yogurt. I remember having a key lime pie flavor that had dark chocolate chips and graham cracker pieces that was pretty damn good. You could satisfy your sweet tooth on that on days where the fruit isn't cutting it and get some decent protein in your diet. Also Kashi bars, they have a couple of flavors with dark chocolate that would give you protein and fiber in addition to the chocolate fix. The Dark Chocolate Almond with Sea Salt and chia seeds is yummy, as is the Cherry Dark Chocolate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

some more facts for you…
    ….The second aim was to examine the hypothesis that glycaemic and insulin responses to foods which contain added sugar(s) are higher than responses to foods containing naturally-occurring sugars. Eight healthy subjects drawn from a pool of eighteen consumed 50 g carbohydrate portions (except 25 g carbohydrate portions for fruits) of the test foods. The GI and insulin index were determined according to standardized methodology and expressed on a scale on which glucose = 100. The median GI and insulin index values of all foods tested were 56 (range 14 to 80) and 56 (range 24 to 124) respectively. The median GI of the foods containing added sugars was similar to that of foods containing naturally-occurring sugars (58 v. 53 respectively, P = 0·08). Likewise, the median insulin index of the foods containing added sugars was not significantly different from that of foods containing naturally-occurring sugars (61 v. 56 respectively, P = 0·16). There was no evidence of‘rebound hypoglycaemia’or excessive insulin secretion relative to the glucose response. We conclude that most foods containing sugars do not have a high GI. In addition, there is often no difference in responses between foods containing added sugars and those containing naturally-occurring sugars.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=895280

Color me unimpressed with your copy and paste skills. Why don't you answer reddy's question? Use your own words. Small ones if you have to. Unintelligable grunts will result in a deduction of points.

Where'd he go??

hahaha so predictable. :laugh:

to a magical place called bed …

and I am not going to play your stupid little games…..

really reddy you are so predictable that it is getting boring…

but congrats on white knighting this thread too ...
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'd thank to thank everyone for their advice, thoughts, and the info you have shared.

I am not looking to cut out all sugar, or carbs.... I am not looking to cut out natural sugar. My problem is a mental one, I am more than sure. It isn't carbs I crave, not fruit, juice... It is the stuff you see in the supermarket checkout... the last minute items. Chocolate bars, soda, that sort of thing.

I have been given lots of good ideas here to help me try and distract myself from the urge... Really, I just want to go without giving into the 'caramilk craving' in hopes that time will lessen it's hold on me, time heals all wounds as they say... That is the hope I have in this endeavor.

As for what happens on June 19.... I have several trips coming up this summer. As many people have goal rewards for themselves... new outfits, tattoos, etc... I am using my upcoming trips and activities as 'mile markers' on my journey. For example, I stick to my current work out schedule up to june 18, then on June 19 we leave for a road trip to QC for Amnesia Rockfest. When I get home, I start a new workout schedule that takes me up to my Girls weekend... then my next round takes me up to my trip to AB.... You get the idea. :)

Again, thank you all so very much for taking the time to try and help me. Gifs, science, and all :P
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

some more facts for you…
    ….The second aim was to examine the hypothesis that glycaemic and insulin responses to foods which contain added sugar(s) are higher than responses to foods containing naturally-occurring sugars. Eight healthy subjects drawn from a pool of eighteen consumed 50 g carbohydrate portions (except 25 g carbohydrate portions for fruits) of the test foods. The GI and insulin index were determined according to standardized methodology and expressed on a scale on which glucose = 100. The median GI and insulin index values of all foods tested were 56 (range 14 to 80) and 56 (range 24 to 124) respectively. The median GI of the foods containing added sugars was similar to that of foods containing naturally-occurring sugars (58 v. 53 respectively, P = 0·08). Likewise, the median insulin index of the foods containing added sugars was not significantly different from that of foods containing naturally-occurring sugars (61 v. 56 respectively, P = 0·16). There was no evidence of‘rebound hypoglycaemia’or excessive insulin secretion relative to the glucose response. We conclude that most foods containing sugars do not have a high GI. In addition, there is often no difference in responses between foods containing added sugars and those containing naturally-occurring sugars.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=895280

Color me unimpressed with your copy and paste skills. Why don't you answer reddy's question? Use your own words. Small ones if you have to. Unintelligable grunts will result in a deduction of points.

Where'd he go??

hahaha so predictable. :laugh:

to a magical place called bed …

and I am not going to play your stupid little games…..

really reddy you are so predictable that it is getting boring…

but congrats on white knighting this thread too ...

I went to bed too, hahaha :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'd thank to thank everyone for their advice, thoughts, and the info you have shared.

I am not looking to cut out all sugar, or carbs.... I am not looking to cut out natural sugar. My problem is a mental one, I am more than sure. It isn't carbs I crave, not fruit, juice... It is the stuff you see in the supermarket checkout... the last minute items. Chocolate bars, soda, that sort of thing.

I have been given lots of good ideas here to help me try and distract myself from the urge... Really, I just want to go without giving into the 'caramilk craving' in hopes that time will lessen it's hold on me, time heals all wounds as they say... That is the hope I have in this endeavor.

As for what happens on June 19.... I have several trips coming up this summer. As many people have goal rewards for themselves... new outfits, tattoos, etc... I am using my upcoming trips and activities as 'mile markers' on my journey. For example, I stick to my current work out schedule up to june 18, then on June 19 we leave for a road trip to QC for Amnesia Rockfest. When I get home, I start a new workout schedule that takes me up to my Girls weekend... then my next round takes me up to my trip to AB.... You get the idea. :)

Again, thank you all so very much for taking the time to try and help me. Gifs, science, and all :P

OP - do what you must…but IMO you would be better off using the next few months to teach yourself some moderation rather then just saying I am going to ban "some" sugars…that is just my .02….
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am terrible sugar lover. Candy? Yes please! Baked goods? Pass them my way! Chocolate? Oops, sorry... didn't mean to bite your fingers there....

I usually crave the sweets in the evening, after my supper and after my logging is done. Its a nagging little voice that creeps in anytime around 830pm or after... It whispers ice cream promises and sugary white lies that I an not strong enough to resist most nights. I have been a junk-junkie my whole life. Always.

I cannot help that I love sweets.... but I can improve the way I show that love! I am embarking on a challenge I set up for myself, it starts today and ends on June 18th. I have many fitness goals laid out and carefully planned for each day. I have food goals as well. For the next 62 days, I am going 'sugar free'.. In such a sense as no candies, cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream. No cappuccino, no pepsi... Basically I am cutting out my crutch-foods. I am hoping this will result in me losing the insane sugar cravings I currently have.

HOW CAN I KEEP THE SUGAR CRAVING AT BAY!? Do you have any go-to snacks you fall back on when you really want a naughty dessert? I'm looking for some tips or ideas. Anything that will keep me from daydreaming of a caramilk bar in the evening!

I have given up eating sweet foods for the most part. It saves me calories and also works for me in that I find it easier just to think "no I don't eat that" than to debate with myself whether I can work it into my day, so it's now rare that I go over my calorie allowance (or go to bed hungry because I've over eaten early in the day). If I really want something sweet then sometimes I will have a small diet fizzy drink, or a protein bar. Porridge with banana and peanut butter also hits the spot! Mostly I will have something completely different though like some salty nuts, or something creamy or cheesy. I now have room for that type of treat in my calories because I'm not eating the sweet stuff.
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

OP - do what you must…but IMO you would be better off using the next few months to teach yourself some moderation rather then just saying I am going to ban "some" sugars…that is just my .02….

I do appreciate this, but I know that never works for me. I try moderation, and do 'ok' for a time... but then I find myself just trying to find ways to fit that cheesecake, icecream, whatever into my day and make that my focus instead of ensuring the day is properly healthful.

I know, I sound frikken nuts to say it, but I know it is my weakness... my shortcoming. When quitting smoking, I couldn't do moderation. I'd cave and go past my 'daily allowance'... Same with candy bars and such... I can't seem to hold back once I start.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am terrible sugar lover. Candy? Yes please! Baked goods? Pass them my way! Chocolate? Oops, sorry... didn't mean to bite your fingers there....

I usually crave the sweets in the evening, after my supper and after my logging is done. Its a nagging little voice that creeps in anytime around 830pm or after... It whispers ice cream promises and sugary white lies that I an not strong enough to resist most nights. I have been a junk-junkie my whole life. Always.

I cannot help that I love sweets.... but I can improve the way I show that love! I am embarking on a challenge I set up for myself, it starts today and ends on June 18th. I have many fitness goals laid out and carefully planned for each day. I have food goals as well. For the next 62 days, I am going 'sugar free'.. In such a sense as no candies, cookies, cheesecakes or ice cream. No cappuccino, no pepsi... Basically I am cutting out my crutch-foods. I am hoping this will result in me losing the insane sugar cravings I currently have.

HOW CAN I KEEP THE SUGAR CRAVING AT BAY!? Do you have any go-to snacks you fall back on when you really want a naughty dessert? I'm looking for some tips or ideas. Anything that will keep me from daydreaming of a caramilk bar in the evening!

OP: I did this for February (with the exception of the fact that I did eat refined carbs a couple of times a week), I completely understand where you are coming from I did it as I couldn't even have tea without having sugar in it, I was drinking fizzy drinks EVERY day and then having chocolate/sweets/porridge with sugar. It was hard but I dropped 6lbs in 2-3 weeks and now I don't drink fizzy drinks or add sugar to porridge or hot drinks, I still have too much chocolate (just cannot crack that habit so I just make room for it), my saving grace was tinned fruit in fruit juice (some are with syrup). I did dream about chocolate brownies though lol. First few days I had headaches and I was tired but after that I was fine, really helped me as I used to have blood sugar crashes during intense exercise but I no longer do :smile:

Good Luck!

P.S Everyone knows fruit has sugar *blah, blah blah* it's clear the OP is not referring to this
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Your best bet would probably be to cut it back (drastically) for about a month or two. Then when you no longer crave it, try reintroducing the trigger foods in moderation.

Otherwise if you try moderation now, you MAY be setting yourself for failure - IMO.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I do appreciate this, but I know that never works for me. I try moderation, and do 'ok' for a time... but then I find myself just trying to find ways to fit that cheesecake, icecream, whatever into my day and make that my focus instead of ensuring the day is properly healthful.

I know, I sound frikken nuts to say it, but I know it is my weakness... my shortcoming. When quitting smoking, I couldn't do moderation. I'd cave and go past my 'daily allowance'... Same with candy bars and such... I can't seem to hold back once I start.

last comment and then I will leave it alone..

are you going to do this for life? Abandon certain sugars for three months, then start eating "some" again, and then end up overeating on them and repeat the cycle? If you start now, then maybe you can learn to enjoy them in moderation and not have to resort to that drastic cycle over and over …..
  • warriorprincessdi
    Options

last comment and then I will leave it alone..

are you going to do this for life? Abandon certain sugars for three months, then start eating "some" again, and then end up overeating on them and repeat the cycle? If you start now, then maybe you can learn to enjoy them in moderation and not have to resort to that drastic cycle over and over …..

For life, maybe not. This is about me showing myself it can be done... I just want to show myself I can move beyond this nightly battle with my mind telling me it NEEDS it. I can now enjoy a cigar once in a blue moon on a special occasion without running out to buy a pack of cigarettes; I'd like to reach this point with cakes, candies and sweets.