SUGAR ADDICT about to go COLD TURKEY -Advice?

Options

Replies

• VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    but your sample size of n=1 trumps that?

Well since my personal study with that n=1 sample size produced results, and theirs produced wasted bandwidth and presumably ink, yup.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    This whole thread = TL:DR but..I just wanted to wish you luck on your endeavors. I see what your doing here, and I hope it works for you. For me, the more time I spend away from chocolates/sweets the less I want them. I hope this works for you also.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I have left the house at 2 in the morning to get a candy bar. If there is a cake we bought or something, it will be the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning. I will eat the cake for breakfast and for lunch, and if theres any left, it will be my dinner too. I've been this way since I can remember, my Halloween candy would be gone in a matter of days where other kids would have them in their lunch boxes into December.

I totally get it!!

I'm actually at the point right now where i'm going down a slippery slope... Just finished off the last of my atkins bars and i'm not buying them again for a good while. It only jump starts my cravings. I'm this close to throwing away the expensive bag of chocolate granola that my boyfriend bought because once I start with it, I can't stop and that crap is 200 calories for a 1/2 cup! I believe that if you go cold turkey you can overcome it. It will be hard to re-introduce it for the holiday and birthday but stay strong and stick to your allotted serving. Go for the fruit or hot tea.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    "Don't overdo it" is not a point where many of us are. Simply eating it, sometimes just smelling it, leads to eating until you've gone too far or there isn't anymore. Cutting it out completely for a while might be what's needed to evaluate why you thought you needed to eat so much of whatever it is. Certain foods are triggering and we may need to take a period of time away from those foods in order to better understand those triggers by seeing what life is like without them.

The brain can get caught on well-worn paths leading to bad habitual behaviors. Some people find it works to take time away from the trigger to alleviate those habitual responses. That's what I did with soda. I stopped drinking calories for a few months in 2012, though soda was the main target. Since then I've had soda maybe 5 times and never found myself craving it. I know I can go another year without drinking it, or I can drink some like I did on vacation a few weeks back but do so moderately. I enjoy but don't crave and therefore don't overdo it.

There are certainly other strategies besides cold turkey but it can and does work.
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am completely sugar free, having been (still am - who am I kidding!!) a chocoholic!!! I could probably consume as much as you put in front of me. I have previously done 6 months sugar free (including processed foods etc) and lost 4.5 stone. having now recovered from a serious injury, I have been sugar free for 11 days.

I have two things that help - 2 tsp of pure maple syrup with museli (no sugar variety) and natural greek yogurt, also I have a handful of berries in the evening. You may find it tough for the first week, but drink lots of water and keep going. It gets easier.

Last time i did this, within 10 days people were complimenting me on clear skin and bright eyes and shiny hair (sound like a dog!)

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try frozen grapes they r sweet and a nice treat for replacing candy. I also love fresh yellow cherries
  • rieann84
    Options
    i'll just leave this here

fc2a203349d5c907fe81864ae0b2bba1.jpg

for those of you saying: sugar is sugar is sugar. i've never binged on apples.
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness...I am not the only one! The first time I remember it happening, was when I was about 14 and I asked my dad to go to the shop to get me chocolate and some horrendous hour! Sadly it hasn't stopped, until I went sugar free! I am so pleased someone else admits to eating sweet stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner if poss!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am completely sugar free, having been (still am - who am I kidding!!) a chocoholic!!! I could probably consume as much as you put in front of me. I have previously done 6 months sugar free (including processed foods etc) and lost 4.5 stone. having now recovered from a serious injury, I have been sugar free for 11 days.

I have two things that help - 2 tsp of pure maple syrup with museli (no sugar variety) and natural greek yogurt, also I have a handful of berries in the evening. You may find it tough for the first week, but drink lots of water and keep going. It gets easier.

Last time i did this, within 10 days people were complimenting me on clear skin and bright eyes and shiny hair (sound like a dog!)

Feel free to add me if you want.

You understand that maple syrup, greek yogurt and the such all have sugar?
  • Acg67
    Options

It's almost like you never were addicted to sugar at all, since you can apparently consume it in moderation
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Like some others, I'm all about flexible eating, where it mostly eat good, but I have some wiggle room for whatever. But, I have some foods that I just can't have in the house. If i do buy them, and sometimes I feel like I'm in control, so while at the store, I buy them, only to demolish them in one sitting.

There are a few people here that really piss me off big time because they just say, "just have will power". Fukc you. There are about 3 or 4 specific things where I just don't have any. I can take a bite, and my eyes roll into the back of my head, and I'm like a heroin addict looking for that huge rush. And I can demolish a lot of calories very quickly. Then I'm mad at myself, not for eating it, but for buying it. Because I will not leave the house and go buy it, so there are critical moments at the grocery store where I need to be strong and remember that those couple of items just should not go into my cart.

It's that simple for me. Just don't buy it and I don't eat it.

I'm not advocating eliminating everything sweet. Just the crack-like things. I still have cookies and ice cream in the house. And, I'm cool with just having a couple of cookies or a serving of ice cream. But, I stay away from my foods that cause a landslide into oblivion because I cannot believe how something can taste so delicious.

Words right out of my mouth. This exactly for me too. In fact, if I buy the "wrong" type of ice cream I fail, but if I keep it to the one I enjoy but don't got completely out of my mind crazy eat the whole thing before I know what happened even though I totally knew what was happening, I can keep it in check. I think the main problem is she used the word sugar and as we all know, sugar is in just about everything, mostly.

OP try using reverse psychology on yourself also. I know it may sound silly, but sometimes I just get in a state of mind that "I gotta have it" and I continually talk myself into it. So I've try to start thinking "yuck, that sounds nasty" even though it totally doesn't, but half the time that actually works and I can get the idea of stuffing myself with yummy treats out of my mind by just making myself think they are gross or do I really want to ruin my whole day with a binge? The answer almost always is no, sometimes it is yes and I eat like a fiend. I also keep dark chocolate in the freezer and even though I love dark chocolate, I don't ever overindulge for some reason and usually 1 or 2 squares is exactly enough for me and since it is frozen, it takes me a lot longer to eat. Good luck.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Yes fruit helps me a lot!! Though lately I need to work on more fruit and less sweets!!
  • rieann84
    Options

It's almost like you never were addicted to sugar at all, since you can apparently consume it in moderation

I never said I was addicted to sugar ? But I just have to shake my head at people who say that a strawberry is the same as a bag of m&ms. Mentally..it's just not. I could eat a handful of strawberries and be fine. That bag of m&ms has me searching for more chocolate.

I'm not sure why you're picking a fight with me.
  • lautour
    Options
    *messed up quote*
  • lautour
    Options

Would it help if you considered "sugar addict" as a colloquial term? It just means someone has sugary junk food cravings they can't control. Quite frankly you're massively derailing the thread because it's been clarified many times now.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    My experience with people who do the "all or nothing" approach? The "all" is short lived. Rarely have I seen it succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Looks at ticker..

Seems to have succeeded for me...

plus. she didn't say she'd never have another goodie for the rest of her life. All or nothing responses rarely succeed in making their point.

Much much easier to not eat the entire cake once you've kick the sugar addiction to the curb. I can have 1 cookie now if I want to and be happy.

So you learned moderation?

I think you are missing the point of this thread and subsequent posts. If you paid more attention to what others were saying than your own responses you may have a better understanding.

Most peoples goals are to get to a point where they can easily choose to eat something or not eat something (are we agreed on that - yes, good).

Now stay with me because here's the tricky bit - it's all about how we get to that point. You seem to favour just cutting back and getting to the point of perfect moderation. That will work for some, but sadly not for every one.

What some of us are suggesting is to deal with the craving issue (which we all agree is psychological - but that's fine, we know what it is so we can work with it). The best way to do that IMO is to cut back on the trigger foods for a period long enough to break the habit.

Once the cravings are gone, then look to re introduce the trigger food back to - wait for it because this is where it gets interesting - to a point of perfect moderation.

Sometimes it may not work first, second or third time. That's just something some of us will need to work/live with.

Hope that clears things up. :smile:

Not really. I guess I'm heartless, cold and not one who is in touch with his feelings (probably why I've been single so long). If I get "cravings" I eat that food. That's the beauty of IIFYM - It forces a healthy relationship because you form a habit of eating a portion.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It took me quite some time to kick my Pavlonian response to candy bars at the checkout stand. There were times at the grocery store where my hands would seriously get clammy and I would grab a candy bar, put it back, grab it again, put it back. I'm sure I looked freaking insane.

I started buying a small apple every time I went to the grocery store and I'd eat it in the car. Yeah, it's still sugar, but I wasn't trying to kick a sugar habit, I was trying to kick a "buying a candy bar every time I go shopping habit". An apple has a hell of a lot less calories than a candy bar, and has more nutritional bang for the buck. Now I have a candy bar or two on the weekends, but not because I am in that NEED A CANDY BAR NAAAAOOOO state. I buy one when I'm relaxed and enjoy every last bite.

Good luck kicking your habits, it's alllllll mental, but I'm sure you know that.
  • Acg67
    Options

Would it help if you considered "sugar addict" as a colloquial term? It just means someone has sugary junk food cravings they can't control. Quite frankly you're massively derailing the thread because it's been clarified many times now.

Wonder why some people suggested giving up all sugar and carbs in the case of one poster if they really only meant "sugary junk food" and that point was clarified multiple times.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I think you are missing the point of this thread and subsequent posts. If you paid more attention to what others were saying than your own responses you may have a better understanding.

Most peoples goals are to get to a point where they can easily choose to eat something or not eat something (are we agreed on that - yes, good).

Now stay with me because here's the tricky bit - it's all about how we get to that point. You seem to favour just cutting back and getting to the point of perfect moderation. That will work for some, but sadly not for every one.

What some of us are suggesting is to deal with the craving issue (which we all agree is psychological - but that's fine, we know what it is so we can work with it). The best way to do that IMO is to cut back on the trigger foods for a period long enough to break the habit.

Once the cravings are gone, then look to re introduce the trigger food back to - wait for it because this is where it gets interesting - to a point of perfect moderation.

Sometimes it may not work first, second or third time. That's just something some of us will need to work/live with.

Hope that clears things up. :smile:

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Here is the best advice I got and it works--->when a sugar carving hits eat a bit of coconut oil. just try to cook with it more too and it WILL reduce your cravings: http://iquitsugar.com/faqs/why-is-coconut-oil-so-good-for-you/
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It took me quite some time to kick my Pavlonian response to candy bars at the checkout stand. There were times at the grocery store where my hands would seriously get clammy and I would grab a candy bar, put it back, grab it again, put it back. I'm sure I looked freaking insane.

BEEN THERE!