A question for the Food and Nutrition experts

Options
Here are two food items I eat.. based off the macros only which one would you eat? and why would you pick that food item?

No, I am not telling you what the food is because you might choose one just because of what it is...

I just want to know based off the STATS which would you choose and why.

FOOD 1:

calories: 70
carbs: 8
fat: 3
protein: 2
sodium: 170
sugar: 0

FOOD 2:

calories: 70
carbs: 0
fat: 5
protein: 5
sodium: 300
sugar: 0

Replies

• zhogle
    zhogle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would probably go food 1. It seems like a far more balanced food item, but that of course would depend on what it is. Not every gram is equal, types of fat make a huge difference.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Well those calories are not correct for either food. Food 1: 67 cals & Food 2: 65 cals

oh and I'd choose #2
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would bet you could never get a real nutrition expert to answer that question. They'd want to know what it was before deciding if they would eat it. At a minimum they'd want the micronutrient breakdown as well.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It would absolutely depend on the day. If food #1 fit my macros that 'I had left, I would pick that. If food #2 did, then I would pick #2. It really does depend on what the food items are though. I'm not picking something I like less because of a few grams of this or that. I have been quite successful losing weight by fitting the foods that I like into my day and not eating "diet-friendly" foods or "healthy" foods. Both options look just as good to me... depending on the day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I believe in good and bad foods so I can't answer that -- I need to see an ingredients list at the very least. Like for the first product -- where are those carbs coming from? How much naturally occurring fiber is there? For the second, is that fat from a seed oil? Trans fat? Why so much salt for so few calories?

And even above all of that what it tastes like matters too. I want all of the food I eat to be delicious and something I genuinely enjoy eating. So delicious first, whole foods second, and ingredient list third (few or no objectionable ingredients) -- calories and macro nutrients come in at a distant fourth.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How much fiber in both? I'd probably pick #2 for the protein... But more important would be what they are and how they taste. If #2 is lima beans and #1 is ice cream I'm going with #1
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I believe in good and bad foods so I can't answer that -- I need to see an ingredients list at the very least. Like for the first product -- where are those carbs coming from? How much naturally occurring fiber is there? For the second, is that fat from a seed oil? Trans fat? Why so much salt for so few calories?

And even above all of that what it tastes like matters too. I want all of the food I eat to be delicious and something I genuinely enjoy eating. So delicious first, whole foods second, and ingredient list third (few or no objectionable ingredients) -- calories and macro nutrients come in at a distant fourth.
    Good and bad food? Without using trans fat as an example, what would bad food be?
    I don't know. Food you wouldn't want to feed your kids for dinner would probably be as good a definition as any.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Good and bad food? Without using trans fat as an example, what would bad food be?
    I don't know. Food you wouldn't want to feed your kids for dinner would probably be as good a definition as any.
    Extremely vague response from you where you are just making assumptions.

However, I will say the first part was accurate, you don't know.
    Since when does a belief need to explained to someone else satisfaction? I was being courteous in responding to you at all -- something you're obviously deficient in.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    I don't judge foods based on macronutrients alone, I judge a food based on nutrients as a whole so I could not pick one of those foods. Based on calories and macros alone you cannot say whether one food is better than the other because you can always make up your macros with the rest of your meal and choosing one over the other would depend on the rest of the foods in my meal and day overall. For example, I might have some yoghurt which has mostly carbs followed by fat and protein but then to increase the protein I'll add some nuts or protein powder and I could make up those same macros and calories in a different meal with different foods.

Just to add, I don't consider myself an expert as I am only a student of nutrition still but I'm not sure many experts hang around these forums.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It would depend entirely on it's taste and where it fit in my macros, but mostly on it's taste.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    obviously these are two foods that I choose to eat so no forcing involved

Like i said.. i didn't want to name the food because I want to know your answer based off the given information.

as for the calories.. that is what the label provided..
  • MrsCurvyFab
    Options
    Your correct on the expert part... I was going to put the highly opinionated but I felt I wasn't going to get a response lol Thanks for your answer.
    I don't judge foods based on macronutrients alone, I judge a food based on nutrients as a whole so I could not pick one of those foods. Based on calories and macros alone you cannot say whether one food is better than the other because you can always make up your macros with the rest of your meal and choosing one over the other would depend on the rest of the foods in my meal and day overall. For example, I might have some yoghurt which has mostly carbs followed by fat and protein but then to increase the protein I'll add some nuts or protein powder and I could make up those same macros and calories in a different meal with different foods.

Just to add, I don't consider myself an expert as I am only a student of nutrition still but I'm not sure many experts hang around these forums.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    Options
    Thanks for your answer!

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If my sodium was low enough I would choose #2 for the protein - honestly either one would be okay but I am always looking to add more protein
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I'd eat both because 70 calories a serving isn't enough for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the second one. I need MOAR protein!