A question for the Food and Nutrition experts

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Assuming you like each of them equally it would still depend on your remaining calorie and macronutrient needs.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Bah. I'd choose #2 because 2>1.
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    I would go with food option number two, more protein, less carbs!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Depends on which macro I need to fill the most.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein always wins.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The sodium on either is high. I try to never consume foods where sodium in MG exceeds the calories. I would go hungry in this case.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Neither of these food items seems to make much of an impact in anything. I'd eat both, if I enjoyed them. If you're in a deficit, 70 calories over is still under. If you're at maintenance, 70 calories is within the margin of error, and if you're bulking, you better be eating all the food and not worrying about a 70 calorie snack.

I'm trying to figure out how something can have 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat but 0 carbs and be 70 calories. The math doesn't work. It would be 65 calories. Is this one of those things where the food doesn't count the carb if it is under a certain amount, like under 2 grams, or is it a zero net carb food with less than 2 grams of fiber?

Meh, I guess I don't care a lot what you eat, I just want to know why the data is inaccurate.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The sodium on either is high. I try to never consume foods where sodium in MG exceeds the calories. I would go hungry in this case.

You micromanage sodium on a meal per meal basis?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Based on the information given, food 1, but I'd be interested on the micronutrients as well.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    #2, because of carbs.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'd eat both because 70 calories a serving isn't enough for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm with Niner on this one.... My snacks are 500+ calories so depending if I liked either of them (cause I will not eat things I do not like) then I would have to eat both and then some....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Do you have family history of high BP? Because if not, then sodium really isn't a big concern.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The second one, based on more protein and fat. By those macros, I suspect however that it is something I couldn't actually eat.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I should pick 2 because I need the protein, but I'll probably pick 1 because carbs taste good. SInce the two of them together are only 140 calories, I think I'll have BOTH, because I ran today and I really need the extra calories. :drinker:
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I believe in good and bad foods so I can't answer that -- I need to see an ingredients list at the very least. Like for the first product -- where are those carbs coming from? How much naturally occurring fiber is there? For the second, is that fat from a seed oil? Trans fat? Why so much salt for so few calories?

And even above all of that what it tastes like matters too. I want all of the food I eat to be delicious and something I genuinely enjoy eating. So delicious first, whole foods second, and ingredient list third (few or no objectionable ingredients) -- calories and macro nutrients come in at a distant fourth.

Same here. I would also need to know the micronutrient breakdown before I could make a choice. What vitimins and minerals are in each food? If I had to eat one of them I would choose the most nutritious food over which tasted better. Otherwise I would chuck them both in the bin and choose a food that was both healthy and delicious.

But looking at the available data I would pick number 1 mainly because it has protein, lower sodium, low carbs and no sugar.

Oh, and keep your beliefs to yourself unless they are, you know, "science" and can be backed up with hyperlinks to peer reviewed studies from acceptable ivy league universities. However, if you add a profile picture of your abs minus your head your beliefs will suddenly become acceptable scientific fact. :wink:
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Here are two food items I eat.. based off the macros only which one would you eat? and why would you pick that food item?

No, I am not telling you what the food is because you might choose one just because of what it is...

I just want to know based off the STATS which would you choose and why.

FOOD 1:

calories: 70
    carbs: 8
    fat: 3
    protein: 2
    sodium: 170
    sugar: 0

FOOD 2:

calories: 70
    carbs: 0
    fat: 5
    protein: 5
    sodium: 300
    sugar: 0

cannot make an informed decision without entire nutrition label including ingredients and vitamin content. sorry.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It's 70 calories. Taste would be my sole determining factor. And if they're both bad enough, the choice could always be "neither"
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    #2, because of carbs.
    8g of carbs. That's what decides it? Without considering anything else at all? Why are you afraid of carbs?
    Not afraid of them; eating keto and 8g is about 50% of my daily intake. INB4 keto is bad, I have PCOS and significant insulin resistance and have never felt better than I do now. So for me, yes that decides it. Plus #2 had higher fat. :)