Flu Shot or No Flu Shot...?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    That said I did get the mist (I'm also military and was ordered to) It doens't hurt to try to prevent it, but your not guaranteed to not get sick.

I am amazed that your work/employer/military can "order" you to inject something into your body....I believe everyone has the right to make their own choice.

I choose not to, because I have not had a case of the flu in 22 years. My son is egg allergic and can't take it, and he never got sick. My husband has never had any vaccines due to medical reasons and he rarely gets sick, and has only had the flu once in the 8 years we have been together. My daughter could get it, but I choose not to, in case she gets sick from it and introduces our family to it that way. We eat a healthy lifestyle, get all our vitamins and healthy anti-oxidants, drink Gochi juice and my kids are not in a day care. Things might change once they go to school, but for now, we are happy with our choices.

I do use the regular childhood vaccines for my kids, but don't believe in the flu shot because it is just a guess at what will be the prevalent strain that year. The other vaccines are meant for a specific disease, no variations/mutations etc and are for a lifetime, maybe with a booster.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the shot! If everyone got the shot, the flu wouldn't spread like it does!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten a flu shot, i have never had the flu...and i have worked in call centers or restruants for the last 10 years. The way i see it, i am putting myself in risk to get the flu and not getting it, so why go out and get a shot just in case i catch something i have never caught?

If i get the flu, then i might start getting the shot.They say once having it, you are more apt to catch it again. I am immunized for everything else, i just don't see the sense in getting the extra shot. My mom gets sick every year after getting the shot, and i have always had reactions to immunizations. Usually swelling, sometimes illness. My mom said when i was a baby, my legs would swell up like watermelons for days after getting shots!! My luck? I'd get sick to, so i am not running out to get it :-)

I did not get the H1N1 last year, i read all the research, pros and cons, and did not feel it was necessary for me. There were long lines for that one around here, as well. My sister planned on getting it for my nephew (who was 3 at the time), but three times she was ready to queue, and something happened, they ran out, the clinic was cancelled, or they changed the elegability for the clinic (some he was eligable for, others not), so she took it as a sign that he was not supposed to have it, and didn't bother. He is another one that has reactions to shots, so maybe it was a good thing.

No flu shot for me, until i actually catch the flu.
  • blazer83
    Options
    The flu shot is mainly for prevention. Of course there's no guarantee that you won't get the flu...to think that it stops every type of flu virus is just crazy. However, it will definitely help you have the upper hand if you do happen to come into contact with the flu. There's less chance that you will get as sick with the shot as opposed to just building up your immunities by coming into contact with it. The shots are made based on which versions of the flu virus will likely show up during the flu season.

My suggestion is to protect yourself and a family member that may be at risk most for getting and suffering from the flu. If you work around lots of different people (customers, patients, many co-workers, etc.) throughout your day, it's best to protect yourself and others that you will come into contact with by getting the vaccine. Your immune system has a "memory" and remembers the antigens (or virus molecules) of certain viruses that you've been in contact with in the past. Once stored in its memory, antibodies can be produced instantly. However, if it happens to be a new virus, your immune system must go through the full process to create antibodies in response (full sickness in effect). And no matter how fit and healthy you are or have been, you are still at risk of getting it.

Just keep in mind that people react differently to any vaccine. If someone had an adverse reaction to it and are telling others to not get it because of that, then they are perpetuating the spread of the illness indirectly ( if it was someone who has egg allergies...I would probably be mad after that too). I received the H1N1 and flu vaccines last year and showed a mild sickness for 1-2 days after (these are typical results). Don't forget the best part....it's free!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the shot! If everyone got the shot, the flu wouldn't spread like it does!

The flu shot is not like other vaccines, that are almost guaranteed to work/prevent the illness. There are hundreds of strains of flus out there and more mutating all the time, and the flu vaccine only works on a few variations that they think will be the most common. We will never get rid of the flu like we did polio and small pox.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Why fix something that is not broken? If you get the flu, seek treatment. The number of cases of flu diagnoses does not warrant the propaganda we have been seeing this year for the flu shot. Have you seen the "Flu Shot Gift Cards" at Walgreens? Imagine getting THAT in your Christmas stocking LOL

This is just my opinion though. I hate needles, so I might be biased lol
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    That said I did get the mist (I'm also military and was ordered to) It doens't hurt to try to prevent it, but your not guaranteed to not get sick.

I am amazed that your work/employer/military can "order" you to inject something into your body....I believe everyone has the right to make their own choice.

I choose not to, because I have not had a case of the flu in 22 years. My son is egg allergic and can't take it, and he never got sick. My husband has never had any vaccines due to medical reasons and he rarely gets sick, and has only had the flu once in the 8 years we have been together. My daughter could get it, but I choose not to, in case she gets sick from it and introduces our family to it that way. We eat a healthy lifestyle, get all our vitamins and healthy anti-oxidants, drink Gochi juice and my kids are not in a day care. Things might change once they go to school, but for now, we are happy with our choices.

I do use the regular childhood vaccines for my kids, but don't believe in the flu shot because it is just a guess at what will be the prevalent strain that year. The other vaccines are meant for a specific disease, no variations/mutations etc and are for a lifetime, maybe with a booster.

It didn't bother me really, I signed up for the military and all it entails. Our military members give up a lot to protect our country, self included. Freedom of choice in some matters are just one the the things we give up. If anyone does have a history of bad reactions to vaccines or allergies they can get a waiver not to have it. I will say they did not make us have the H1N1 vaccine unless we wanted it last year and I have been advised but not forced to have the gardsil vaccine.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Yes, get one. The flu shot does not make you sick.

Everyone reacts different to the shots!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I say no.

But then again, we're a vax free family.

Do your own research and try to find unbaised (good luck) sources.
    I could, of course, link you to all kinds of info saying how bad they are. BUT if you're already questioning it, then it might be worth it to do some research on it before you get it.