Couch to 5K: Starting Monday Oct 11 -- Join Me!

Options
Hello!

I will be starting the Couch to 5K (C25K) training program on Monday, October 11. Basically, it's a 9-week training program to run 5 kilometers (or 3.11 miles). More information, including the training schedule, can be found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It is a 9-week program, but you can repeat weeks if necessary and progress at your own pace. I am positive that I will have to be repeating some weeks, as I am very out of shape!

If anyone is interested in starting along with me, please reply to this thread. We can leave updates on our progress and keep each other motivated to make it to the end!

Replies

• snowflakelaia
    Options
    Hi!

I could start with you! I should get back to running and I haven't done it for qutie a while... how do we do it?
  • desi3nita
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I am looking forward to doing it.:smile:
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I want to join! But, I started today.. hope thats ok!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it...
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I need to start training for a marathon relay that I will be running in May and what better way to get started :smile:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Hello-
    I just wanted to wish you the BEST OF LUCK - I recently did the Couch to 5K over the summer.
    I have never in my life enjoyed running and in truth, I run a little slower than my fast-walk!! I did
    the program a little slower than they recommended b/c it was super hot and humid outdoors plus
    I could feel needing at least 2 days between runs as the runs became longer. But I actually really
    enjoy the running now and like to run a few days a week.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about something here - no matter how 'easy' you think the beginning
    intervals are, do not skip ahead! It takes time for your body to get used to the mechanics of running + gravity + impact
    and in fact, I've heard it takes longer for your muscular and skeletal system to catch up than it does for your cardiovascular
    and respiratory systems.

Also, CONGRATS on those pounds already lost! Good for you! Keep up the good work!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
    I have printed out the couch to 5k a few times thinking I would do it. I have started jogging a few times already and can do up to 6 mins total but I don't stay with it. Maybe this will help me. I am finding I want to compete against someone but just don't really have anyone who is doing what I want to do....so yes I am in.
    Monday here we come!!!

Mary
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm in!!! Funny I just posted a topic about starting to jog and being so overweight. I am very out of shape as well and get out of breath walking. So this should be interesting!!! I have somebody to do it with!!! Thanks so much!!!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    We all can do this together!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Jennifer1982
    Jennifer1982 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I could start with you! I should get back to running and I haven't done it for qutie a while... how do we do it?

Great! Did you visit the link I posted? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Each week consists of 3 days to run. You pick the 3 days of the week you'd like to run... whatever works best with your own personal schedule! :-)
  • Jennifer1982
    Options
    I want to join! But, I started today.. hope thats ok!

Sure! How'd your first day go?
  • Jennifer1982
    Options
    I'm in! I need to start training for a marathon relay that I will be running in May and what better way to get started :smile:

Wow. How far do you have to run for the marathon relay?
  • Jennifer1982
    Options
    Hello-
    I just wanted to wish you the BEST OF LUCK - I recently did the Couch to 5K over the summer.
    I have never in my life enjoyed running and in truth, I run a little slower than my fast-walk!! I did
    the program a little slower than they recommended b/c it was super hot and humid outdoors plus
    I could feel needing at least 2 days between runs as the runs became longer. But I actually really
    enjoy the running now and like to run a few days a week.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about something here - no matter how 'easy' you think the beginning
    intervals are, do not skip ahead! It takes time for your body to get used to the mechanics of running + gravity + impact
    and in fact, I've heard it takes longer for your muscular and skeletal system to catch up than it does for your cardiovascular
    and respiratory systems.

Also, CONGRATS on those pounds already lost! Good for you! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your advice and congrats on completing the program!
  • Jennifer1982
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
    I have printed out the couch to 5k a few times thinking I would do it. I have started jogging a few times already and can do up to 6 mins total but I don't stay with it. Maybe this will help me. I am finding I want to compete against someone but just don't really have anyone who is doing what I want to do....so yes I am in.
    Monday here we come!!!

Mary

Definitely looking forward to it!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i'm in...i will be starting about 1.5 weeks late since i will be on vacation next Monday. i do some walking now and have been workout out regularly for 12 weeks now, so i'm pretty sure i can get this done in the 9 weeks. AWESOME thanks for the invite. team work rocks!!!
  • hdumpty
    Options
    Hi, I'd love to start on the 11th with you.
  • Jennifer1982
    Options
    I am glad so many people have responded so far! I have wanted to start this program many times but never went through with it. Having other people to do it along with will be a great motivator to do it and stick with it! :-)
  • eyoreblu
    Options
    I have been reading about this for a while now, REALLY want to try!!! I am in!!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Ok, a friend of mine is going to physically do this with me. I know I wouldn't do it on my own, same with her. So, we're in. I'm thinking we'll either start on Sunday or Monday. I'm going to have to get her on this site too...
  • hgascoigne
    hgascoigne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am starting this today. I am really excited about it.