"You must STOP losing weight"

Options

Replies

• jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ignore others. If they ask, just tell them its none of their business. I have a friend currently who keeps telling me I'm too obsessed with MFP but I just keep ignoring him and I like to think that maybe people are just jealous. Just keep going and don't give up :)
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I keep getting told that I am gonna blow away with the wind..... I am currently 176lbs and my heatly range for my body height is between 145 and 185. I am doing what I want not what everyone else thinks I should do. My goal currently is 160 and I believe that is reasonable considering I am 6 foot tall. Just do what is best for you and I wouldn't hide it, tell them it's your decision not yours.

The only wind is their Hot Air!..

If they were healthy, active normal weight folks then their opinions 'MAY' count for something .. otherwise, they are just seem to be spouting from a position if ignorance and being mean.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do however think this person below has a very good point:
    I would at your point (just from looking at your photos) focus now on some lifting and strength training and see how your body will transform. To say you have 10lbs left to lose may not be the case...you may be very happy at the same weight and more toned with muscle, you may be happy only down 5 more lbs, you may be happier just when your clothes fit just that extra bit better. Do not get too hung up on that 10lbs.

I third this. If it's really the body fat you're looking to lose, try some strength training. It's known to shred fat on women and give us the body that many women envy.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I got this a lot when I leaned out last year. Then I would tell people what I actually weighed and they wouldn't really believe me because I carry a good amount of muscle mass so I typically weigh more than I look like I do. I knew where I wanted to be BF% wise and wasn't super concerned what the scale said.

I think someone already said it, but I think sometimes the people we are around every day see the weight loss differently and it can seem like a drastic drop, but they have no perspective to determine what a healthy athletic build would look on us. So they hear that we are trying for x number of pounds more and they mentally over exaggerate what that would look like. Ignore them and listen to the people who you know you can get an honest opinion out of.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've heard this a lot as well and I still have another 70-75 lbs to go until I reach my goal. All I can tell you is to ignore it. That's what I do. I just normally smile, nod and say "Well thank you" and keep on going about my business. It's your journey, not theirs. What they think is irrelevant. Just keep up the good work!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The assumption on this thread is that the nosy people are all insecure about themselves or are just gossips. But keep in mind that people have been bombarded for 3 decades about eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia, so when they see a lot of weight loss, their first thought is that they are seeing one of these disorders. They are concerned that I am manifesting a problem, rather than working toward a solution.

I use the question as a Teaching Moment. I explain to the person what the healthy range for my height is according to the BMI tables at National Institutes of Health. I point out that my current weight is 20 pounds above the top limit, so I am still officially overweight. I explain that I am not shooting for the bottom of the range; I just want to be a few pounds inside the top of the range. So if I lose 30 more pounds, I will be in no danger of being too skinny, and I will still be 20 pounds higher than my college weight.

I find that people quickly realize that I have a legitimate goal weight, and it is not too thin, and I am not suffering from any eating disorder.

Keep in mind that you can see more fat on yourself than most people can see. My belly used to stick way out in front of me (total apple body), so now that my belly only sticks out a little, people don't really see it as much as I do. I am the one who stands naked on the scale in the morning, so I can see the fat when I look down at the scale. In fact, I still need to suck in my gut and lean forward a bit just to see the scale, so I have extra confirmation about still needing to lose some pounds. But once I put clothes on, unless my shirt is really tight (and I have not traded to a smaller size in a few months, so they are all pretty baggy now), most of that remaining fat is just covered by clothes.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Honestly, its probably more of a compliment than an attack (or jealousy). People don't often know how to appropriately comment on weight loss, and when they're used to seeing you a certain way, it takes time for them get used to seeing the new you.

As others said, just say thanks, and keep doing what you're doing!

Congrats on your success!
  • ldocampo
    ldocampo Posts: 34
    Options
    I have an aunt that when I was losing a lot of weight in college (I was a D1 diver so we worked out a lot) she kept asking me what I was doing what I was eating and stuff because she thought I was losing weight too fast. I just told her to MYOB and kept doing what I was doing. Now a days I don't tell people I'm losing weight, I don't tell them I'm working out (I don't check in at the gym, it annoys me when others do I feel like they're just trying to show off) and I don't tell anyone what my goal weight is. So long as my BMI is ok and my doctors aren't worried I'm going to do it my way.

tumblr_mj3zqdiR931rpw9qwo1_500.gif
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    People are bad with change. They see you one way and if you've been that way for awhile, they're suddenly uncomfortable with the "new" you. Also, it sometimes forces them to evaluate THEIR eating habits, behaviors, how they look, etc.

When I first started this path, I lost nearly 30 lbs and my best friend who I've known for nearly 20 years basically freaked out on me and told me I was being "extreme" and that it was "unhealthy". (Now, she's a completely sedentary, non-active person who is lugging around at least 30-40 lbs of extra weight, but I never ever talk to her about that. That's her deal and her choice to maintain that lifestyle, so it's all good with me.) Anyway, I just had to stop talking to her about anything fitness or health related. I just realized that even though I was making changes that *I* was happy with and I felt better than I never had (and continue to feel wonderful), she just wasn't ready to accept the new me.

My advice? Keep doing what you're doing. People will come around if they're supportive, and if they can't be, well, I say choose positive things in life. It's sad, but sometimes people change and you go different ways in life. Can't keep schlepping around dead weight (literally or figuratively).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    people are weird. I think the biggest thing is they get used to you looking a certain way, even if that (in my case) is morbidly obese. So then to see you thinner weirds 'em out. I have already had a couple of comments along these lines. My stepmom asks me occasionally how low I want to go and reminds me that I am tall. Duh. I am 5'8" and weigh 187, still definitely overweight! (She is thin and petite herself). A friend's mom, who met me when I was 16 and around 220 lb, freaked out when she saw before/after pics of me on facebook and immediately called my friend to say that I need to STOP losing. What?! People are weirdos, don't listen to 'em.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    After I lost 40 lbs yes I had just one person to tell me I need to stop. I knew deep down it was her own securities so I took it and blew it out my mind and kept going. I did get to my goal weight but still living a healthy lifestyle, granted I lost a few more lbs since my goal weight but I'm toning now so whatever. As I read on someone elses thread I'm skinny fat so toning is the goal. If I gain or lose from then oh well. People think cause I still eat good that I'm still dieting...which I hate that word very much!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I've started getting this as well, and I'm just barely inside a normal BMI.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think this tends to be worse for women and from women, because the concern about ED is more prevalent among women. (Whether unjustly or no.) People most often don't recognize that you're losing weight in a paced, healthy manner, even if you describe it to them, so to see fairly drastic changes in people, even over time, makes people alarmed. "Oh my God, you're starving yourself!" is always the first reaction even though it's nearly never the case.

I feel like another part of this is that people have become SO accustomed to seeing weight loss in very before/after terms because of magazines and reality shows (Biggest Loser, what?) so when they actually watch someone losing the weight, it's weird and foreign.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I get it at work too. It's funny because I've only lost around 8-10 lbs. I started at 138, and last week I was 128 but this week I'm 131 (hence the 8-10 lbs. :smile: ). I'm 5'5.5", so 130 is smack in the middle of a healthy bmi for me.

But people still comment. Like often. It's weird.
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really think that personal success just reminds people of their own lack of success. Stay on track and just let it roll off your shoulders.

^^ This all day.

First-They-Will-Ask-You-Why-Then-They-Will-Ask-You-How.png

^ One of my favorite fitblr sayings tossed around. It's so true. When i use to weight 250+ ilbs everyone would be like ... "the gym? Why? waste of time. You ain't gonna stick to that diet" ... these were close friends, family and coworkers. I learned to laugh it off and agree "aww you're right". 4-5 months later i was down to 210-200 area and they all were like "OMG ... how'd you do it? did you starve yourself? Do you have a disorder?"

I'm all over here like ....

-_- ... it's called "Work B*tch".

Keep up the good work, I'm pushing to my 190 area from 210 and i still get the same questions "We're going to order food today (taco bell, hardees, burgers) why won't you eat with us?"

Same old same old. I guess they just feel obligated to put you down or look at themselves.

Good Luck
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I think my friend JoRocka put it best yesterday.
    "I'm pooping at 3 PM this afternoon- if you could be there to add your comments in on that - it would be great- because I really do appreciate your input in my life!!!"
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You do what you feel is best for you.

Maybe your friends and coworkers just want you to know you don't NEED to lose anymore. They want to let you know you don't need to keep going as you already look great.

Or if you were being somewhat obsessive...(I think a lot of us have a tendency to get that way when we have got interested in fitness, are seeing the weight come off on the scales etc)..they don't want to hear it anymore.

I would at your point (just from looking at your photos) focus now on some lifting and strength training and see how your body will transform. To say you have 10lbs left to lose may not be the case...you may be very happy at the same weight and more toned with muscle, you may be happy only down 5 more lbs, you may be happier just when your clothes fit just that extra bit better. Do not get too hung up on that 10lbs.

I totally agree with this
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is about weight loss that makes people think they can start giving you unsolicited advice and opinions.

Imagine if it were the same way with weight gain? "Wow, you are getting WAY TOO FAT!"

Nope, that's "rude". People should just mind their own beeswax.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like farts....

why do you feel thier discomfort is your problem?
  • xLoveLexi
    xLoveLexi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I haven't had people telling me to stop losing weight yet, but I have had people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I want to lose 50 pounds. They're like "50? That's a lot! Are you sure? Maybe 20 is enough." Yes I'm sure, losing 50 pounds would put me in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height.

I fear that people will tell me to stop losing weight as well. But when that day comes, I will not fall victim to their stupid comments and opinions and do what I feel is best for me. Screw what they think, you are proud of your accomplishments, right? So you have every right to display those accomplishments.