Metabolic Damage: Alan Aragon interviews Lyle McDonald

Options

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Oh nice... the private message Lyle is referring to was from me. I dropped him a line to see if he wanted to do a Q&A for my site on metabolic damage. He said he pretty much said everything he had to say on the topic on the AARR. I can't believe I had somehow missed that issue. But I agree... very good write up.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    tagging so my FL see.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Excellent article. Water retention masking weight loss makes perfect sense to me.
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! :drinker:
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    tag
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This article should be required reading to join MFP. And anyone who tells others they're in "starvation mode" because they ate only 1199 calories one day, should be banned for life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Two of the best individuals to learn from. Thanks again bro as always.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Lyle can be annoying as hell but I'm interested to read this later. Thanks!
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome article! I think every single person who posts on here complaing " I'm doing everything right, exercising all the time...and still not losing weight" (you know the type) should be forced to read this over and over and over again until they have a true understanding of this article.
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This article should be required reading to join MFP. And anyone who tells others they're in "starvation mode" because they ate only 1199 calories one day, should be banned for life.

THIS!!!!! I have only been on this site a few months and these "starvation mode" posters drive me absolutely bonkers!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read when I have more time. Thanks for sharing.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This article was a great read. I think many women also confuse their aging metabolism with metabolic damage. I know about 4 years ago my activity and diet did not change (in my view because it was not drastic or noticeable) but I put on about 10 lbs. each of those years. This was not damage, it was just getting older and most likely even though I stated diet did not change, my intake may have increased some with portions as my size increased. The weight is now harder and takes work to take off but as a previously trim and fit person it is a hard fact to get used too. Staying fit and eating anything (prefer healthy foods though and smaller portions) was always easy in the past, so when I gained I thought something must be really wrong but it was just age and small adjustments in diet and activity. Women (in my case at least) also seem to have issues with when they have an image in there heads and something does not match up they need to find an reason that has been outside of their control. For me I really didn't notice much at first, clothes got tight went up a size or 2 but as a previously vain person; I always looked at my reflection when walking at the mall, when one day I looked and did not recognize the person I saw and just thought ugh she's fat, then realized that it was me. This should have been a wake up but instead I gained about 15 more lbs. I thought thyroid, hormones, I messed up my metabolism by not eating earlier in the day, when the facts were I most likely became less active, and was eating more or even just choosing high calorie foods that I would not have chosen before. I think this article should be a must read, for all of those in denial like I was.

The water info was interesting too, I am trying to up my intake and trying to find out more about water retention and weight.
  • lilliemelissa
    lilliemelissa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tag for later! Thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am taking this article to Easter Brunch tomorrow for my sister....aka bat**** female dieter...

Great article, loved it. The no nonsense approach was great.

Read parts outloud to my husband who enjoyed it as well....

I am so glad I am not one of the women referenced in the article...(thanks to a younger husband :drinker: )
    But even when the drop in metabolic rate is massive, sufficient to drastically slow fat loss, even when it occurs it’s only when that person’s body has more or less reached the limits of leanness in the first place. So for ‘hundreds of women who are self-reporting this in emails’ to a certain coach to exist, well; just let me call that what it is: bull****.

This to me was one of the best parts of the article and I can see this quote being used a lot in those threads where there is all caps to many !!!! of these and the women obviously are too stressed and just need to read this article and take the advice...calm down and relax anyway you can/have to.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    That article is now bookmarked to link to for the many many over stressed women in the forum. I've often linked Lyle's older and just as appropriate article on "Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss", but this article has a bit more into the stress factor.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    can't wait to read this later, thanks!
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    One of the best articles I've read. Thanks for sharing!!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    While the science behind these articles can be very persuasive, the points could be made without the misogynistic language and characterization of female dieters as neurotic and crazy.