WHITE vs BROWN RICE - or NO RICE?

Options
I barely eat any carbs in the beginning stages of weight loss. Before a workout I carb up a tad bit. However, I know it is good to have just a little bit of carbs sprinkled in daily. I am having my usual steamed chicken and veggies dinner. If I am going to have a SMALL (1/2 pint) of rice, should I go white or brown? What I have read is brown has more calories but more nutrients, and white rice is considered, "empty calories." Opinions and thoughts? Will it hurt my weight loss if I cannot exercise to burn it off after?

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with rice (brown or white) as long as it fits into your calorie goal.

/thread
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with rice (brown or white) as long as it fits into your calorie goal.

/thread

^ this
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My concern is an overage of carbs prolonging the weight loss. Most carb research I do makes carbs look like the enemy of burning fat.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    This thread is ricist
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options

HAHAHA +1

Only Jabroni's ask rice questions I guess!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Unless you don't get enough fiber in your diet, I'd think it's more an issue of taste. Brown rice has a few other micronutrients, but those are generally covered by a well-balanced diet elsewise.

Just eat whichever tastes better.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't condone ricism. I eat them together mixed in equal portions without thought to the color of their exteriors.

I was not fast enough. /le sigh
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    My concern is an overage of carbs prolonging the weight loss. Most carb research I do makes carbs look like the enemy of burning fat.

Consuming carbs in a caloric deficit will not hinder fat burning.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    This thread is ricist

iseewatudidthere.jpg
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Since I am not sure what type of white rice you might be eating you might want to note that most white rice in the US is enriched.

I hate that white rice gets such a bad rep and since I don't care for brown rice, white it is for me :smile:
  • Forty6and2
    Options

Consuming carbs in a caloric deficit will not hinder fat burning.

^^ Yep.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Since I am not sure what type of white rice you might be eating you might want to note that most white rice in the US is enriched.

I hate that white rice gets such a bad rep and since I don't care for brown rice, white it is for me :smile:

feel good about your white rice, because studies show better nutrient bioavailibility from the white rice anyway...and brown rice as a fiber source? LOL....
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I barely eat any carbs in the beginning stages of weight loss. Before a workout I carb up a tad bit. However, I know it is good to have just a little bit of carbs sprinkled in daily. I am having my usual steamed chicken and veggies dinner. If I am going to have a SMALL (1/2 pint) of rice, should I go white or brown? What I have read is brown has more calories but more nutrients, and white rice is considered, "empty calories." Opinions and thoughts? Will it hurt my weight loss if I cannot exercise to burn it off after?
    NO RICE

and if you must use rice sparingly
    remember Rice is a filler
  • ublanchard
    Options
    If you want to eat rice and it fits into your calorie plan, have it. I am 99% sure that carbs are not magical weight-gain molecules. Not burning it off after you eat it doesn't matter because if you're eating an appropriate calorie amount for your goals, you'll burn some of those calories next time you exercise. Your body doesn't separate calories from different sources and burn them differently when you exercise. Like, it doesn't use a calorie from a piece of chicken differently from a calorie from a piece of cake.

I'd eat brown rice because it has more flavor and a lower gylcemic load, which is a concern for me but maybe not for you.

(eta: maybe i'm wrong about my rice choice! always learning new stuff here.)
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options

Does enriched mean they add more nutrients to it?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Brown rice ... They say it's organic .. I don't know if they stick to their claim.

But I eat Della Brown Organic Rice
  • smaddox75
    Options
    Brown Rice or Quinoa
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I eat white rice multiple times a week, brown tastes like cardboard.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Neither. Go quinoa or CousCous