WHITE vs BROWN RICE - or NO RICE?

Options

Replies

• JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    By the way, I read your profile and saw you are a borderline type 2 diabetic which means you are most likey insulin resistant as well. You NEED to watch your carb intake closely. I'm not diabetic but I'm insulin resistant and hypoglycemic so I have to watch my carb intake as well. Stay away from white bread, white rice, white bagels, cakes, cookies, muffins, and other refined carbs. You need to stick to complex carbs only i.e. brown rice, whole grain bread/bagel/english muffin, sweet potatoes, and veggies. For fruits, berries are low GI meaning they have little effect on blood sugar. Green apples and green grapes > red apples and red grapes (less carbs). Make sure you have protein with every meal/snack to stabilize blood sugar and prevent spikes and drops.

Thanks for the info!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I personally try to stick to the "closer to the real thing" way of thinking.
    I know it might not matter a whole lot, but it always makes more sense to me to eat foods in the most natural way I can, as if they were designed just right.
    So I vote brown, but if you hate it, which some do, then don't force it.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I barely eat any carbs in the beginning stages of weight loss. Before a workout I carb up a tad bit. However, I know it is good to have just a little bit of carbs sprinkled in daily. I am having my usual steamed chicken and veggies dinner. If I am going to have a SMALL (1/2 pint) of rice, should I go white or brown? What I have read is brown has more calories but more nutrients, and white rice is considered, "empty calories." Opinions and thoughts? Will it hurt my weight loss if I cannot exercise to burn it off after?
    NO RICE

and if you must use rice sparingly
    remember Rice is a filler
    And why exactly does it have to be used sparingly?

A filler? What does that mean? I enjoy eat white or yellow rice with my chicken or beef. Are you saying that's bad?
    Yes it is a filler its cheap way to supplement meals. When I go out for thai food I order without rice or noodles and I feel just fine. When I go to a mexican resturant I orer al la carte for a chile colorado burrito and i only eat the chile i feel fine and satisfied and i save a good 6 dollars.
    Back in the day I would go to a resturant (loyally went for years every friday night) and when I brought I coupon they would give me3/4 of the plate of rice and beans and jip me on the meat. cause it was a filler and they were losing money buy doing buy one get one free.

I, too, tend to avoid getting rice or noodles when I go out because I can usually find tastier things to fit into my daily calories (e.g. ice cream). The rice doesn't do much for me, whereas I'll enjoy the ice cream much more. In that sense, I frequently find rice to be a filler.

However

If someone has the available calories, and they like it, eat it. It's a perfectly fine energy source.

Rice over ice-cream every time.
    Love rice!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you feel is important. If you ask, you are going to have many answers based on what others feel is important. Since you talked about burning fat , it makes me think you are thinking of low carb way of eating. If that's the case then I would say either no rice or brown basmati rice. All rice will raise your blood sugar levels which in the end ( for me at least) leaves you wanting more carbs. Brown basmati rice has the lowest glycemic index of any of the rice even though it has the same amount of carbs. Basmati rice has also been found to have lower levels of arsenic than the common short grain / long grain white or brown rice.

If you are going to eat brown rice then my suggestion is to soak it to help rid it of phytic acid which supposedly keeps us from absorbing it's nutrients. If you don't believe that then soaking it will help decrease it's arsenic content which brown rice has more of than white because the bran is there.
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just eat whichever one I want.
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This thread is ricist

*bravo*

and to that, i say "cauliflower."
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Brown rice won tonight for me. Good points all around though!

shutterstock_83830726_Brown_Rice_Side_2f290f50_4.jpg
    picture share
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    WILD rice! Cooked with a little chicken bouillon. YUM! I love it.
  • Blueeyedgirl4
    Blueeyedgirl4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been eating brown rice only because I thought the extra fiber would keep me fuller longer.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My favorite is sticky rice! But I love brown and white rice too. Mmmm rice is so good.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat white rice, as I'm diabetic and it's practically pointless for me (no fiber). I will eat brown rice 3-4 times a month or so.

I love rice, just have to keep it to a small quantity. I'll use it to stretch taco meat sometimes.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We use long grain brown basmati at our house for the lower glycemic load. I don't eat wheat rice or potato because they are trigger foods for me. I eat mass quantities of Besan and chickpeas, carbalicious, acceptable glycemic load and I can portion control easily. Try some Farinata sometime for your workout.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer white rice over brown.

Both are nutritionally valueless though, so I normally only have rice occasionally.

Par boiled or re-boiled rice is good for your gut floral as it is a good source of resistant starch.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I barely eat any carbs in the beginning stages of weight loss. Before a workout I carb up a tad bit. However, I know it is good to have just a little bit of carbs sprinkled in daily. I am having my usual steamed chicken and veggies dinner. If I am going to have a SMALL (1/2 pint) of rice, should I go white or brown? What I have read is brown has more calories but more nutrients, and white rice is considered, "empty calories." Opinions and thoughts? Will it hurt my weight loss if I cannot exercise to burn it off after?
    NO RICE

and if you must use rice sparingly
    remember Rice is a filler
    And why exactly does it have to be used sparingly?

A filler? What does that mean? I enjoy eat white or yellow rice with my chicken or beef. Are you saying that's bad?
    Yes it is a filler its cheap way to supplement meals. When I go out for thai food I order without rice or noodles and I feel just fine. When I go to a mexican resturant I orer al la carte for a chile colorado burrito and i only eat the chile i feel fine and satisfied and i save a good 6 dollars.
    Back in the day I would go to a resturant (loyally went for years every friday night) and when I brought I coupon they would give me3/4 of the plate of rice and beans and jip me on the meat. cause it was a filler and they were losing money by doing buy one get one free.

Sounds like perfectly sound and logical advice. Sucks you're missing out on great thai dishes like pad kee mao due to refusal to eat noodles or rice
    I've had my decade of eating thai food homemade or not I'm not missing it (the rice and noodles) The last time I had thai food i got SOUP and thai salad lovely
    I ask again, why must rice be used sparingly?
    For me sometimes its tempting
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    This thread is ricist

+1
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am one of the weirdos who actually prefer brown rice, though I usually only have 1/4-1/2 cup max.

I prefer quinoa. More protein.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with rice (brown or white) as long as it fits into your calorie goal.

/thread

^This
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I love white rice.
    I eat it a few times a week, to go with my scrambled eggs.

.....mmm, that actually sounds good now.