How to eat before a 10K

Options
I will be running in a 10K on Saturday. I am hoping to make it the whole way through without walking. So far, my furthest distance is 4.7 miles. I have been running for a couple of months now and have worked my way up from about .5 mile running to this 4.7. My biggest problem is bonking out before I go as far as I want to go. I know it is a fuel issue, not a muscle exhaustion issue. My legs are not sore, but I just can't seem to keep moving. The last couple of long runs I have done I ate some yogurt before hand, and it seemed to help. However, I want to really push it Saturday. I always go further on race day (have done some 5ks before) than I normally do, but I need the right kind of energy. With that being said, can you runners please share with me some of the things you eat before a long run?
TIA

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an overall nutrition issue. Usually, a runner won't have to think about special nutritional need for a distance up to a half marathon. What is your intake like? If you opened your diary, I could give more specific advice, but here's some general stuff:

I wouldn't suggest eating anything different before your run (nothing new on race day), but increase your calories in the days leading up to the race. You'll want to keep your glycogen stores topped off.

Normally, I will eat a banana and some peanut butter or some toast about 2 hours before the race starts.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if it were my 10K I would have a double meal replacement shake and maybe a banana. my races are usually in the morning.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you normally would. You should have enough glycogen stores for around 90 minutes anyway. Changing what you eat from what you would while normally running can cause problems so Just make sure to have a carb heavy meal the day before.
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an overall nutrition issue. Usually, a runner won't have to think about special nutritional need for a distance up to a half marathon. What is your intake like? If you opened your diary, I could give more specific advice, but here's some general stuff:

I wouldn't suggest eating anything different before your run (nothing new on race day), but increase your calories in the days leading up to the race. You'll want to keep your glycogen stores topped off.

Normally, I will eat a banana and some peanut butter or some toast about 2 hours before the race starts.

I am pretty new to running regularly, so I wouldn't quite classify myself as a runner...yet. ;)
    I am doing a meal replacement program under my doctor's care, and it is low calorie. I was actually stalling out on weight loss from not eating enough. And I sure wasn't gaining any distance. So I have added a meal on the days that I run. Usually a lean meat, salad or other green veggie and a carb like brown rice or potato.
    I haven't been logging my food on MFP much lately since it has all been meal replacement.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    Just eat what you normally would. Changing what you eat can cause problems. Just make sure to have a carb heavy meal the day before.

I don't want to try anything new. I guess I am looking for good food combos to give me energy until the end.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    if it were my 10K I would have a double meal replacement shake and maybe a banana. my races are usually in the morning.

Mine is in the morning too. Yikes! I usually run in the evening. That is an additional issue. I don't have as much energy to exercise in the morning.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

I am pretty new to running regularly, so I wouldn't quite classify myself as a runner...yet. ;)
    I am doing a meal replacement program under my doctor's care, and it is low calorie. I was actually stalling out on weight loss from not eating enough. And I sure wasn't gaining any distance. So I have added a meal on the days that I run. Usually a lean meat, salad or other green veggie and a carb like brown rice or potato.
    I haven't been logging my food on MFP much lately since it has all been meal replacement.
    I was on a medically supervised diet myself. so the yeah I would do two meal replacement shakes if it's in the morning. and maybe a banana. I just busted out a 10K training day yesterday and going to repeat it again tonight. I'm ready to sign up for a 10K. I know for sure I can make it.

good luck, I'm sure you will do great. for the record. I was running 4.8 miles and monday I went to 5miles, I just ran around my block after my 4.8mile run to hit 5. then yesterday I ran the rohr park which is 3.1 miles and i just went for two. and made it with steam left over. all on 400cal of shakes. you got this. good luck again.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

Mine is in the morning too. Yikes! I usually run in the evening. That is an additional issue. I don't have as much energy to exercise in the morning.
    yeah I run in the evening too. my races are in the morning, doesn't seem to affect me much.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

You run a mile...you are a runner. Even those who are on week 1 of C25K are runners.

As far as fueling....your meal replacement program might be one possiblility. What is your carb intake with that? A lower carb diet on the shorter distances like 5Ks and 10Ks is fine, but if you are having fueling issues and you are extremely low carb I would look there.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

face it you are a runner. no matter if you started yesterday. you are a runner. just a new runner like me. I'm a runner but just started in Oct. 2013.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options

I was on a medically supervised diet myself. so the yeah I would do two meal replacement shakes if it's in the morning. and maybe a banana. I just busted out a 10K training day yesterday and going to repeat it again tonight. I'm ready to sign up for a 10K. I know for sure I can make it.

good luck, I'm sure you will do great. for the record. I was running 4.8 miles and monday I went to 5miles, I just ran around my block after my 4.8mile run to hit 5. then yesterday I ran the rohr park which is 3.1 miles and i just went for two. and made it with steam left over. all on 400cal of shakes. you got this. good luck again.

Thanks. I may just do that. Good luck with your training! This kind of thing is new to me, and I just want to make sure I am ready.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I don't know how 'low calories' your 'low calorie' is, but that could definitely make running more challenging. I would try to supplement on the days leading up to the race with extra sources of carbs/glycogen (apples, bananas, toast in the morning), and then eat what you are used to before the race. Its very difficult to make significant dietary cuts while trying to train for distance running. Eat more the days before, then eat regularly the night before, just to top off your stores. You don't want to be weighed down on race day.
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have found that the run where I had the most energy and stamina was a 6mi run after I'd been eating Paleo for 2wks. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the Paleo itself, just overall nutritious breakfast - mix of protein and veggies at every meal. Including breakfast, which I usually skip!

Before a 10K race, I usually have my coffee, a banana and a Fiber One bar. During the race, I like a Nuun tablet in my water bottle with Hammer Endurolyte capsules that I take at the start and 4 miles. No, I probably don't need all that but it makes me feel better.

Good luck and have fun!
  • ggluvbug1
    Options

You run a mile...you are a runner. Even those who are on week 1 of C25K are runners.

As far as fueling....your meal replacement program might be one possiblility. What is your carb intake with that? A lower carb diet on the shorter distances like 5Ks and 10Ks is fine, but if you are having fueling issues and you are extremely low carb I would look there.

I am doing 5 meal replacements a day. 160 calories a replacement. 20 carbs per serving. So, that is 100 carbs a day. I wouldn't consider that to be extremely low. Eventually, I would like to do a half marathon. There is one in my area in November. I feel like I need to be at a better weight to be able to do that, though.

And thanks for the encouragement.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

I am doing 5 meal replacements a day. 160 calories a replacement. 20 carbs per serving. So, that is 100 carbs a day. I wouldn't consider that to be extremely low. Eventually, I would like to do a half marathon. There is one in my area in November. I feel like I need to be at a better weight to be able to do that, though.

sounds like the same one I was on. HMR diet.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    I have found that the run where I had the most energy and stamina was a 6mi run after I'd been eating Paleo for 2wks. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the Paleo itself, just overall nutritious breakfast - mix of protein and veggies at every meal. Including breakfast, which I usually skip!

Before a 10K race, I usually have my coffee, a banana and a Fiber One bar. During the race, I like a Nuun tablet in my water bottle with Hammer Endurolyte capsules that I take at the start and 4 miles. No, I probably don't need all that but it makes me feel better.

Good luck and have fun!

Never heard of Nuun. Will have to look at that. Bananas seem to be a common theme. I will definitely be eating one!
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    [/quote]

sounds like the same one I was on. HMR diet.
    [/quote]

I am using Optifast. But yeah, they look very similar.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

So...you are intaking ONLY 800 calories a day? You do realize at the 10K you will burn around 600 right? I think I found your problem. And I would forget about a HM for as long as you are doing that....just trying to be realistic here so please don't take that as being mean. As your distance grows...so too does your nutrition needs. This is why you are hitting your wall at only mile 5.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I run 10K-ish everyday during lunch, and in the 5hrs leading up I eat...

Bowl of kids cereal
    Bagel thin
    Yogurt
    Granola bar
    Banana

And I'm bouncing off the freaking wall.