How to eat before a 10K

Options

Replies

• coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bandwagon; but yes! Bananas are usually my choice, too! And nothing nutritionally, but keeping my playlist fresh helps my running, even when I'm flagging.
    In fact, you remind me I need to get back on them for my 10k training. Itching for some PBs! Good luck x
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I run 10K-ish everyday during lunch, and in the 5hrs leading up I eat...

Bowl of kids cereal
    Bagel thin
    Yogurt
    Granola bar
    Banana

And I'm bouncing off the freaking wall.

When don't you bounce of the wall?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Yikes, you're only eating 800 calories a day? yeah, no wonder. You're not going to be able to fuel much of a run with that. I looked at your profile, with only 20 or so pounds to lose, you should really be eating more. It doesn't matter if you're eating all carbs, on that low of an intake, you're just not going to have much energy.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I run 10K-ish everyday during lunch, and in the 5hrs leading up I eat...

Bowl of kids cereal
    Bagel thin
    Yogurt
    Granola bar
    Banana

And I'm bouncing off the freaking wall.

When don't you bounce of the wall?

Mondays :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Sounds like an overall nutrition issue. Usually, a runner won't have to think about special nutritional need for a distance up to a half marathon. What is your intake like? If you opened your diary, I could give more specific advice, but here's some general stuff:

I wouldn't suggest eating anything different before your run (nothing new on race day), but increase your calories in the days leading up to the race. You'll want to keep your glycogen stores topped off.

Normally, I will eat a banana and some peanut butter or some toast about 2 hours before the race starts.

I am pretty new to running regularly, so I wouldn't quite classify myself as a runner...yet. ;)
    I am doing a meal replacement program under my doctor's care, and it is low calorie. I was actually stalling out on weight loss from not eating enough. And I sure wasn't gaining any distance. So I have added a meal on the days that I run. Usually a lean meat, salad or other green veggie and a carb like brown rice or potato.
    I haven't been logging my food on MFP much lately since it has all been meal replacement.

You run a mile...you are a runner. Even those who are on week 1 of C25K are runners.

As far as fueling....your meal replacement program might be one possiblility. What is your carb intake with that? A lower carb diet on the shorter distances like 5Ks and 10Ks is fine, but if you are having fueling issues and you are extremely low carb I would look there.

I am doing 5 meal replacements a day. 160 calories a replacement. 20 carbs per serving. So, that is 100 carbs a day. I wouldn't consider that to be extremely low. Eventually, I would like to do a half marathon. There is one in my area in November. I feel like I need to be at a better weight to be able to do that, though.

And thanks for the encouragement.

My 9 year old eats more.

What exactly is a "meal replacement"? Are we talking shakes? Either way, you should re-evaluate your diet as it is not in line with your goals.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I've run a few 10ks. I fuel up by having pasta the night before, and porridge for breakfast,

I honestly doubt that you are bonking or hitting the wall during a 10k or less run- it's something else that's making you feel off,

The fact that you're eating meal replacements rather than real food might be a clue.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I would pick some food that requires chewing. Make sure it is sufficient energy to supply you for your run.
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an overall nutrition issue. Usually, a runner won't have to think about special nutritional need for a distance up to a half marathon. What is your intake like? If you opened your diary, I could give more specific advice, but here's some general stuff:

I wouldn't suggest eating anything different before your run (nothing new on race day), but increase your calories in the days leading up to the race. You'll want to keep your glycogen stores topped off.

Normally, I will eat a banana and some peanut butter or some toast about 2 hours before the race starts.

I am pretty new to running regularly, so I wouldn't quite classify myself as a runner...yet. ;)
    I am doing a meal replacement program under my doctor's care, and it is low calorie. I was actually stalling out on weight loss from not eating enough. And I sure wasn't gaining any distance. So I have added a meal on the days that I run. Usually a lean meat, salad or other green veggie and a carb like brown rice or potato.
    I haven't been logging my food on MFP much lately since it has all been meal replacement.

You run a mile...you are a runner. Even those who are on week 1 of C25K are runners.

As far as fueling....your meal replacement program might be one possiblility. What is your carb intake with that? A lower carb diet on the shorter distances like 5Ks and 10Ks is fine, but if you are having fueling issues and you are extremely low carb I would look there.

I am doing 5 meal replacements a day. 160 calories a replacement. 20 carbs per serving. So, that is 100 carbs a day. I wouldn't consider that to be extremely low. Eventually, I would like to do a half marathon. There is one in my area in November. I feel like I need to be at a better weight to be able to do that, though.

So...you are intaking ONLY 800 calories a day? You do realize at the 10K you will burn around 600 right? I think I found your problem. And I would forget about a HM for as long as you are doing that....just trying to be realistic here so please don't take that as being mean. As your distance grows...so too does your nutrition needs. This is why you are hitting your wall at only mile 5.

I must have posted it on another post, but I do eat a regular meal on days that I run. It usually bumps me up to about 1100 calories on those days. I am not taking it as mean. I promise. I did talk to my doc about what my goal was with running, and she had me add the calories on those days that I run. Maybe I should add them everyday. But then I feel like I would be stuck again at not losing anything. *sigh*
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    Hmmm. I've run a few 10ks. I fuel up by having pasta the night before, and porridge for breakfast,

I honestly doubt that you are bonking or hitting the wall during a 10k or less run- it's something else that's making you feel off,

The fact that you're eating meal replacements rather than real food might be a clue.

I am pretty sure that I know what it feels like to completely bonk out because I am out of fuel. I have done lots of different things in the past (Insanity, P90X, etc) that were high energy and made me completely collapse. And I was eating regular food then. I am looking for the right kinds of things to add while to add to my energy level while I temporarily use the meal replacement to help with weight loss.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you normally would. Changing what you eat can cause problems. Just make sure to have a carb heavy meal the day before.

I don't want to try anything new. I guess I am looking for good food combos to give me energy until the end.

I eat 3 hours before, trying to get in 100g carbs, not too fibrous and a good mix of different releasing carbs. 30g oats, banana, orange, Greek yog, honey.....or fruit n eggs, toast.

Then during race I drink 30-50g carbs in firm of pure glucose in water. I avoid fruit juice just in case it upsets my tum.

Bear in mind, when you wake up, you are glycogen depleted so you need a big top up(I'm 128lb and burn about 600 cals a 10k)If your race is in afternoon you need to load up your carbs all day.

Adequate carbs generally and the day before should help. Try not to be in deficit around race time, it is detrimental to performance and puts you at risk for injury and slow recovery.

Fuel up soon after.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi

It's complex this fuelling thing!

Please don't eat 1100 on the day of your race! That leaves you only 500 for repairs and living. You need to be at BMR plus 600 at least.

Take your maintenance cals (the sedentary figure, mines 1750 per day, I'm 128lb and 5'7")and add 600. Then take away 100-200 cals. You'll still be losing weight, but your health won't be at risk. Body has to get energy from somewhere, you don't want to leech good stuff out of muscles, bones, and organs. Yep. Heart tissue. Not good.

If you still insist on being dangerously low cal, then consider walking to get your deficit. It's less harmful.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hi

Please don't eat 1100 on the day of your race! That leaves you only 500 for repairs and living. You need to be at BMR plus 600 at least.

Take your maintenance cals (the sedentary figure, mines 1750 per day, I'm 128lb and 5'7")and add 600. Then take away 100-200 cals. You'll still be losing weight, but your health won't be at risk. Body has to get energy from somewhere, you don't want to leech good stuff out of muscles, bones, and organs. Yep. Heart tissue. Not good.

If you still insist on being dangerously low cal, then consider walking to get your deficit. It's less harmful.

This.

I got chewed out by someone on my FL because I was complaining about feeling awful after a 10k run the other night... I've only been eating 1500 a day (5'8 167lbs) and 10k burns 600 calories for me. You're asking your engine to run on fumes, that's why you're running out of energy. I *still* feel crappy two days later.

From your profile picture you look great, why such extremely low calories? I think you need to make a conscious decision between running and eating more real food or quitting the running (or cutting down to much shorter distances) and continuing your vlcd.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

So...you are intaking ONLY 800 calories a day? You do realize at the 10K you will burn around 600 right? I think I found your problem. And I would forget about a HM for as long as you are doing that....just trying to be realistic here so please don't take that as being mean. As your distance grows...so too does your nutrition needs. This is why you are hitting your wall at only mile 5.

I must have posted it on another post, but I do eat a regular meal on days that I run. It usually bumps me up to about 1100 calories on those days. I am not taking it as mean. I promise. I did talk to my doc about what my goal was with running, and she had me add the calories on those days that I run. Maybe I should add them everyday. But then I feel like I would be stuck again at not losing anything. *sigh*

Even 1100 calories is extrememly low for how much you are running. That leaves your body with only 500 calories to repair and refuel with. There is a lot going on in running that you need to make sure your nutrition is covering. Even with you normal 4 mile runs, that leaves your body with only 700 to work with. Not good.

When not training I eat 1700 calories every single day. Sometimes more if my long run is over 8 miles. And honestly...even 1700 calories a day is pushing the lower end of what I should be eating to lose weight. I have 11 lbs or so to goal.

When it comes to your HM prep, you WILL have to bump those calories WAY WAY WAY up...you will be looking at a minimum of 2K calories intake on long run days...that includes pre-fuel, mid run fuels, and post run fuels...which for me comes to about 500 calories ball park.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Your body doesn't have a magical clock that dings and resets your calories every 24 hours. Perhaps try tracking on a weekly basis in order to maintain adequate fueling to support your runs and to minimize beating yourself up over bad days.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for your thoughts on both of your posts. The race is at 8 in the morning, so I plan on eating a regular meal this afternoon and this evening. I will probably be at 1200 calories for the day--may even push it up to 1400 because I am always tired when I work out in the morning. Then I will get up a little early to have a little extra in the morning. I know there will be food afterwards, but I am not sure how much I will be able to eat. I usually completely lose my appetite after I run.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    Hi

This.

I got chewed out by someone on my FL because I was complaining about feeling awful after a 10k run the other night... I've only been eating 1500 a day (5'8 167lbs) and 10k burns 600 calories for me. You're asking your engine to run on fumes, that's why you're running out of energy. I *still* feel crappy two days later.

From your profile picture you look great, why such extremely low calories? I think you need to make a conscious decision between running and eating more real food or quitting the running (or cutting down to much shorter distances) and continuing your vlcd.

Because I need to lose about 25 pounds to be in a "healthy" weight range. I need to lose weight. When I eat more, I don't lose anything. Nothing. Sadly, even with this, I am not losing anywhere near where others are losing doing the same plan. :(
  • ggluvbug1
    Options

Your body doesn't have a magical clock that dings and resets your calories every 24 hours. Perhaps try tracking on a weekly basis in order to maintain adequate fueling to support your runs and to minimize beating yourself up over bad days.

True. I am aware of that....at least on an intellectual level. Emotional level is probably another thing entirely.
    Tracking on a weekly basis? Like total calories for a week?
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    carbo load the night before with things like rice or sweet potatoes. Make sure you are extremely well hydrated not just day of, but day before and the week leading up to your run. I don't usually eat anymore before a morning fun run, or if I do, I eat about 1- 2 ounces of plain almonds. One reason, I'm usually too nervous. Secondly, I would advise against a lot of carbs before as it will raise your insulin levels, especially if this is a morning run. Also advise that you DO NOT eat a food you're not used to eating that morning. it'll mess with your stomach.

eat some protein, baby! ;) protein for the long haul. you can eat a banana afterwards!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

True. I am aware of that....at least on an intellectual level. Emotional level is probably another thing entirely.
    Tracking on a weekly basis? Like total calories for a week?

Yes. If you're consistent with your running, you should be consistent with your intake.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carbs, if it's a fuel issue. Don't get fancy with it. The best carbs are the ones you eat. It's likely a fitness or pace issue though. It frankly doesn't take much glycogen to run a 10k.