• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I wish I could join you. Good luck! :drinker:
  • toeknee45
    toeknee45 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ginger Gold is the best apple.

Gala, Fuji and Golden Delicious are good also.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a granny smith every day... yum!!
  • kingfisher_
    Options
    McIntosh is the best!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Honey Crisp, Cameo, Rome, Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, Granny Smith

Honey Crisp are expensive, sad but true. But so delicious I still buy them as treats- not everyday eating apples and I don't share them.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Allll about the braeburns!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Some funny apples in this thread..

I like: Egremont Russet, Coxs, Lord Lambourne and if you can find them: Beauty of Bath.

For cooking: Bramley.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like a Pink Lady :-)

Never been one for Cox :-p .. but each to his own.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am on a budget & with three kids, fresh apples were killing me. I have found 6 pounds of apples at Sam's for $4.98, they are Jonagold, so I've been buying those.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Every morning I slice up a Granny Smith apple in a cereal bowl, add cinnamon, nutmeg, splenda and a dash of lemon juice and microwave for three minutes. Top with a third cup of granola. . . yum. Apple crisp for breakfast.

In the winter when I can get them. . . it's Jonathan's with salt!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So don't eat apples....

Why ask for a recommendation of a food you dislike?

_1391452809.gif
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    gala apples are my jam.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Pink lady all the way for me!
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Pink lady or honey crisp are the absolute best (flavor and texture). Gala and fuji can taste pretty good, but are usually a bit mushier.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Since nobody mentioned this yet: honeycrisp.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Pink Lady and Honeycrisp are the bomb.

(Jazz and Fuji are alright)
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Since nobody mentioned this yet: honeycrisp.

only about a million times
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Macoun! Not sure if they are available outside New England or not, might be a regional thing...
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    So don't eat apples....

Why ask for a recommendation of a food you dislike?

_1391452809.gif

. . . did you read the OP? I disliked apples AS A CHILD because I disliked the varieties that were standard in my house. I've now discovered I DO like apples (2 varities at the time of posting) and would like suggestions for more varieties I may enjoy.

Anyway, apple fest was last night! Here are my complete results, for those interested.

The Applicants: Fuji, Braeburn, Jazz, Pink Lady, Gala, Honeycrisp
    The Accompaniments: Pie Spice mixture (cinnamon, ground cloves and a pinch of nutmeg), Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, Laughing Cow White Cheddar wedge, Sweet Lava Caramel Dip

Fuji: Crisp and apple-y. A clear winner in both the Peanut Butter and Caramel dipping categories. Also paired well with the cheese spread.

Braeburn: Not too crunchy, but not at all mealy. Nice and sweet. Hands down winner with the spice blend.

Jazz; This one was by far the easiest to core- very few seeds, and little waste. It was, however, almost mealy, and very quick to brown. Average in all categories- paired well with each accompaniment, and was decent enough on its own, but not outstanding.

Pink Lady: Crunchy, sweet and very lightly tart. Average in all categories.

Gala: Perfect balance between crispy and soft/biteable. Paired well with the spice blend.

Honeycrisp: Sweet & crunchy, almost alcoholic flavor. The most unique of all the apple flavors. Also, unfortunately, the most expensive. PHENOMENAL with the cheese spread!

Each had their merits, and each paired more or less well with the various things I tend to pair apples with. I doubt I'll go for Jazz again, unless to ensure that I didn't just get a less than stellar apple for my test run. I also will likely not go with Pink Ladies, as there was nothing stand-out about it to me. Honeycrisp was a great apple, but price will force it to be an occasional treat. Galas and Braeburns may make frequent visits, but I think Fujis are the winner here! They won the panel in two out of four pairing, and placed in a third, as well as having a pleasant taste on their own.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, and I will certainly keep an eye out for those apples mentioned that were not available for test round one! I'm looking forward to an orchard trip this fall :)
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Gala are great, and if you can afford to fork out £2 for 4 apples (which is the price near me anyway) try Pink Lady, i've never tasted a nicer, more crisp apple!