My (censored) response to "Veg Out!" blog entry...

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
...that apparently wasn't approved by the new screening process on blog comments as this was the immediate response: "Hold on, this is waiting to be approved by MyFitnessPal Blog." and then that disappeared as well.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/veg-out-7-meat-free-protein-sources-that-satisfy/#comment-1343942737
Must be the meat then, right? Give me a moment and I'll provide some n=1 showing vegetarians die of heart attacks at relatively young ages.
Good luck with that.
Wow. If you truly believe that veg*ns don't have heart attacks, then you really have been drinking the koolaid. I'll start with Jay Dinshah, founder of American Vegan Society. I know a website/blog is horrible source, but since it's a pro-veg*n side, I'm going to use it anyhow: http://thevegantruth.blogspot....

As for the others, there seems to be a lot of jumping from correlation to causation. So many of these studies that are purported to prove the health benefits of a veg*n lifestyle *once adjusted for confounding variables that are highly correlated with it* such as not smoking, regular exercise, socioeconomic status, awareness of physical health, etc., the strong case for it simply disappears.

Finally, I'm not saying that veg*n -done correctly- isn't healthy, but using a comparison of veg*n done right vs. omni done wrong doesn't make a compelling argument. And that so many are so quick to claim that even veg*n done wrong is healthier than omni done right shows the bias that is inherent in the movement.

I find it disturbing that defense of our positions (at least when unpopular) is apparently now going to be censored in the blog comments. Will be interesting to see what types of comments are approved going forward. Apparently, "Good luck with that" is okay, but attempting to respond to it is not.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Fight the Power, Jof. We're right behind you.

Way way behind you.

Just watching, really.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    :embarassed:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fight the Power, Jof. We're right behind you.

Way way behind you.

Just watching, really.

adam-levine.gif
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    First rice cakes make you fat, now meat makes you fat?

I thought this was a calorie counting website. I base that assumption on the fact that I was given a goal calorie intake to meet each day.

I guess I was wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I thought this was a calorie counting website. I base that assumption on the fact that I was given a goal calorie intake to meet each day.

I guess I was wrong.

I do have to agree that it does seem there is a rise of articles leaning towards the demonization of foods.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I guess I was wrong.

I do have to agree that it does seem there is a rise of articles leaning towards the demonization of foods.

Which is a shame since the front page when you log in has always said "eat whatever you want and still lose weight," and I feel like that's the appeal of calorie counting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Those blogs usually go with just a handful of comments and then everyone moves on. That vegan chick's entry gets 100+ responses which is about 6x normal rate with a ton of people both disputing and supporting her post......and yet the author still believes she didn't post anything controversial.

Yes, continue thru life with a bunch of people shouting about how wrong you are without doing any self analysis whatsoever. Because nothing is your fault. Ever. And now, all the dissenting comments will be moderated from ever hitting the wall so please, say whatever BS thing you want and never have to hear about it.

Well done MFP, well done.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Apparently fear mongering generates more traffic.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

there there. baby steps.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Apparently fear mongering generates more traffic.

Then your scarf should be creating a bottleneck.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

there there. baby steps.

I blame our MFP overlords.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Those blogs usually go with just a handful of comments and then everyone moves on. That vegan chick's entry gets 100+ responses which is about 6x normal rate with a ton of people both disputing and supporting her post......and yet the author still believes she didn't post anything controversial.

Yes, continue thru life with a bunch of people shouting about how wrong you are without doing any self analysis whatsoever. Because nothing is your fault. Ever. And now, all the dissenting comments will be moderated from ever hitting the wall so please, say whatever BS thing you want and never have to hear about it.

We're all here for the same reason.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Aesthetics?
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Aesthetics?

I'm here for the entertainment and thought that everyone else on the forums was here for the same reason.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Aesthetics?

I'm here for the entertainment and thought that everyone else on the forums was here for the same reason.

No no no. The reason is unconditional support, no matter how crazy the idea. You're clearly doing it wrong.

:flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Aesthetics?

Do you mean to tell me that we as individuals might actually, somehow, be here for various and different (but still valid) reasons?

Sounds like witchcraft.

BURN THE WITCH!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Aesthetics?

No no no. The reason is unconditional support, no matter how crazy the idea. You're clearly doing it wrong.

If that's true then why don't I feel very supported in my journey after your comment?

Conundrum...
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Aesthetics?

Do you mean to tell me that we as individuals might actually, somehow, be here for various and different (but still valid) reasons?

Sounds like witchcraft.

BURN THE WITCH!

Only if I weigh less than a duck.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Aesthetics?

If that's true then why don't I feel very supported in my journey after your comment?

Conundrum...

Oh well . . . umm . . . hey look over there!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

Aesthetics?

Sounds like witchcraft.

BURN THE WITCH!

HEY HEY HEY!!! LEAVE THE WITCH ALONE! She's just over here sitting in her corner minding her own business waiting for some zombies to kill!!