To Cleanse or NOT to Cleanse - that is the question.

Options
Call it a detox or a cleanse - have you done it and what do you think. Complete food addict hoping to kick some cravings to the curb with a 21 day reset program. Thoughts?

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't need to be reset. You're not a Playstation.
  • Dianamarie91
    Options
    I've done cleanses before and they have not worked for me. Just made me feel cranky, more hungry, and if anything, I only lost "water weight" and quickly rebounded when the "cleanse/detox" was over. I believe just eating clean (eliminate / reduce processed foods) is a better option. Again, this is just my personal opinion and what worked for me.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    21 days? Ehhhhhh.....
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I've never done one, don't know if even would. Even if I did though, 21 days seems way excessive.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they're complete nonsense. But there are people who claim to derive benefit from them. I think it's more psychological than anything else- "cleansing" and "purifying" and having a fresh start MENTALLY, not physically. Rituals can be powerful things. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's more than that.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No need to cleanse. It's a gimmick to sell products, books, supplements.

You can eliminate cravings by cutting back on the things you shouldn't eat and eating more healthy things you enjoy. It doesn't take any magic formula. It does take some willpower though, especially at the beginning.

Get rid of the junk or 'trigger' foods in your house. Fill your fridge and cupboards with healthier foods you like.

Every time you feel a craving do this! Ask yourself: "Am I craving this because I am actually hungry?" If so, tell yourself that you are craving xyz because you are hungry, but that you are going to choose something else to satisfy your hunger.
    If you're not actually hungry, ask yourself how you are feeling. Chances are, it's a feeling that is triggering the craving. Some people experience cravings when they are bored, angry, sad, depressed, excited, nervous, worried, etc. What could you do instead of eating xyz that would help deal with the feeling? Go for a walk, talk to a friend, do some housework, make tea, play with your kids, snuggle with your partner, engage in a favourite hobby, etc. Whatever it is that will make you feel good and is not food.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    This again???? OK I'm in just to see.
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it; think it's hogwash.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary.

Waste of time & money.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    what are you trying to achieve?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No Just No.....:noway:

That is always the answer to that question.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    not done one before and suspect money would be wasted. the food cravings issue can only be solved by will power.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Evolution has created a magnificent cleansing system built right into your body. To take advantage of your own personal cleansing equipment, try just drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of fiber in your diet!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. are your kidneys not working?
    2. have you stopped peeing and pooping?

if the answer is no, then you do not need a cleanse. Your body does that on its own...

you cannot jumpstart, reset, restart, your metabolism and/or weight loss.

Calorie deficit is what leads to weight loss..

eat less + move/workout more = weight loss...

and do you really think a 21 day detox is going to teach long term healthy eating habits that will last for life? What happens on day 22 when you go back to "regular programming?"
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You may lose some weight, but you'll probably go nuts once you go back to not fasting. +1 For everyone who says you don't need to fast.

Lately I'm into substituting a green smoothie for a meal when I feel as if I've been eating too much, eating not too much but too much junk, or am feeling tired/stressed. Doing a mega rehydrate is plenty enough 'cleaning' for me.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    In.
    Also in.

Also, also, not to cleanse.

Also, also, also, use the search option. You might be surprised. We won't be.

I'm also for the above.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they're complete nonsense. But there are people who claim to derive benefit from them. I think it's more psychological than anything else- "cleansing" and "purifying" and having a fresh start MENTALLY, not physically. Rituals can be powerful things. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's more than that.

THIS, all day long.