To Cleanse or NOT to Cleanse - that is the question.

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are talking about this:

soap.gif

Not.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    ETA: ^lol, yes, this

I cleanse daily, in the shower, with soap.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they're complete nonsense. But there are people who claim to derive benefit from them. I think it's more psychological than anything else- "cleansing" and "purifying" and having a fresh start MENTALLY, not physically. Rituals can be powerful things. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's more than that.

Yep! It can be a good way to kick a habit or change your perspective, but your body has a liver, kidneys, and gut to cleanse you all day, every day.

If you are having any unexplained symptoms, elimination diets can help you identify foods you don't tolerate well.
  • lardbut1960
    lardbut1960 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    nope, no value, we are fearfully and wonderfully made, eat healthy and your amazing machine will manage the rest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    How about just 21 days of eating more nutritiously and being in calorie control? No such thing as "cleanses" or "detoxes". These are programs designed by the diet and supplement industry to rob you of your hard earned money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    NO
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    At best, unnecessary. At worst, physically and mentally unhealthy.

I can see there being a place for short-term fasting for spiritual/religious reasons (not talking about intermittent fasting), but using cleansing or "detoxing" to deal with an unhealthy relationship with food is more likely to make it worse imo.

As boring as it sounds, it's much more productive to learn to eat the foods you enjoy in appropriate portion sizes. To eat in moderation. To practise self control around the foods that you tend to want to over-eat. There's nothing wrong with cutting down on certain foods or making changes to your diet, but if you make those changes gradually, you're more likely to stick to them long-term.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've fallen for it in the past. Do yourself a favor and save you money. Spend it on groceries instead. Calculate your TDEE and your BMR, try to eat in between those two numbers.

If you only care about the number on the scale, all you need is a calorie deficit.
    If you care about body composition/body fat %, then eat enough protein and start a progressive lifting routine.
    If you care about your overall health, eat enough fat, fiber, micronutrients and get plenty of water and rest... and maybe some cardio. :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    OOOOH!! I totally know this one!

NOT to cleanse.
  • cheflisa1974
    cheflisa1974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well good thing this is a program where you eat three meals a day. I cannot go without food, nor would i want to. But it does require that you not eat boxed or packaged products. Good ol produce and meats.
  • StacPolly
    Options
    Lots of negative replies, and for 21 days I totally agree. You'd be shaking like a leaf and weak as a baby. And unable to do any exercise. What's the point in that!!? Couple of days on 75/25 veg/fruit juice when relaxing, 2 or 3 times a year has always made me feel revitalised though. And helps if going through a binge stage. Have a read of the book Fit For Life by H Diamond.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Cravings does not equal addiction. That word is thrown out way too much.

And add me to the "no" votes on the need to cleanse!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Well good thing this is a program where you eat three meals a day. I cannot go without food, nor would i want to. But it does require that you not eat boxed or packaged products. Good ol produce and meats.

You can do this without paying for a "program". It's called the produce, dairy and meat departments.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    miley-haha-no.gif

use your organs, yo
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Cruciferous vegetables.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Call it a detox or a cleanse - have you done it and what do you think. Complete food addict hoping to kick some cravings to the curb with a 21 day reset program. Thoughts?

Use this to cleanse properly.

septic-pre-roll-large.jpg
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What's needed??
    2mxiu6f.jpg

Think about it first....
    51trbk.jpg

Then stop and say no!
    1913lz.jpg
  • kelsielknight
    kelsielknight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried many cleanses. I am now a health and wellness coach with herbalife and enjoy their clease very much so! It is very gentle, but does wonders!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    YWAJg.gif

Also, reported the idiot spammer.