PLEASE REPORT THIS!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Holy cow 57+ posts and counting from the 2nd spam bot. This is insane!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    According to Olivia (moderator), he's not the night mod. He's supposed to keep an eye on the MFP Italian community. Maybe there's another night mod...I have no clue who that person is.

there needs to be more info about who to report this stuff to, because sending reports doesn't result in stuff getting cleared up quickly. It's not much of a problem to wait for a mod when there's a spat going on between users in a thread... that's generally self-contained in that thread and tends to be amusing to watch anyway (and if it's not, well, it's confined to one thread).... but this spammer is literally clogging up the board and the recent posts page and really seriously disrupts the forum, because threads are falling off the recent posts page way too quickly and that seriously impacts discussion and probably there's a lot of 1 post threads that are not even being seen by other users.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Holy cow 57+ posts and counting from the 2nd spam bot. This is insane!

I don't think it is a bot though, which is the issue. People in some countries are paid to do this, and because they're humans, they can evade measures that are designed to stop spam bots, e.g. typing the numbers or answering simple questions when you create an account here. And as they constantly sign up with new accounts, being banned doesn't stop them. ISP bans don't work either, because they can end up banning other users from the same geographical area who have nothing to do with the spammer.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    :drinker: @ the mod who cleared up this spate of spam posts.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Allright, another night filled with this crap is upon us. Anyone want to see if they send more spam posts then me? Perhaphs a contest. I am at 10 already.

Did anyone find out if we had any specific night Mods to report to?
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    yesterday they were advertising call girls too..... the entire recent posts feed was full... how many threads on a page? it was that number minus about 3
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    we tried some black magic of our own in this thread to try to get rid of them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1260180-anyone-know-black-magic-spells-to-get-rid-of-spammers
  • jdad1
    Options
    If black magic worked i would hope to see it used. I don't really want to see any of Thors magic hammer though. :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    If black magic worked i would hope to see it used. I don't really want to see any of Thors magic hammer though. :laugh:

but Thor's magic hammer is the best bit!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    As fast as I'm reporting more are popping up. I volunteer to be a spam mod if MFP will have me
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    another spammer rkbaba19, seems they are an astrologist.....
  • jdad1
    Options
    As fast as I'm reporting more are popping up. I volunteer to be a spam mod if MFP will have me

I wish there was a way to get Olivia to see this thread. I am sure that someone out of the many that have voluntered would be good to use to at least help with this issue. It is getting to be outragous.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I report at least 3 a day.

So do I
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I wish there was a way to get Olivia to see this thread. I am sure that someone out of the many that have voluntered would be good to use to at least help with this issue. It is getting to be outragous.

I've sent her an inbox message with the link, don't know if that will work?
  • jdad1
    Options

I've sent her an inbox message with the link, don't know if that will work?

Of course it will. Hopefully we can hear if there is a solution in the works. This is an every single night thing now and it dominated the bourds for hours.
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Killed a few more baba magical threads :)
    If i missed some please do tell me :)

Thank you
  • jdad1
    Options
    thank you Darkon
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Folks,

We understand and apologize for all the increase of spam lately. I know its especially a problem at night and is extremely frustrating. We are working on improvements to better block these spammers and to provide our current mods with better tools for dealing with the spam. I would like to wait until our current mods have upgraded tools (within a couple of weeks) to deal with this spam before bringing on new mods just for spam. The effort of help is deeply appreciated. We do have mods that are on in the night; although we are not currently on 24 hours a day.

In the meantime, reporting these spam posts is very helpful.

Also, much thanks to our volunteer moderators who are spending hours upon hours each week blocking spammers and removing posts.

Warm Regards,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I reported some too. It's like that whack a mole game at the carnival. As soon as you get one, another pops up.