Sweet potatoes

Options
Hi

I want to like sweet potato but well it's too sweet :(

Is there anything I can cook it with to see if I can make it less sweet tasting?

Thanks

Replies

• Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    not very healthy but I put cheese on it!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Chipotles. Seriously. Get a can of chipotles in adobo and chop a few up (carefully, don't touch your eyes!) and put that with a few spoonfuls of the adobo in the sweet potatoes and mash.

Even better with bacon if you can afford the cals.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes and don't find them too sweet. I usually just bake it in the skin, split it, put a pat of butter on it, and a bit of cinnamon.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and black bean burritos are awesome! You can also wrap each individually in a paper towel and place in a freezer bag and freeze. When you want one just pull it out and heat for one minute right in the paper towel. So good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Could mash them half and half with normal potatoes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Black pepper and a little ceyenne. The sweet and hot go really well together.

ETA: Also beet and sweet potato hash is really tasty.
  • LoveDanceSing
    LoveDanceSing Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try white sweet potatoes they're a little less sweet to me, add salt and pepper and whatever other spices, they're delicious
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    Baked sweet potato fries.

There are lots of minor variations in the recipes that you can find online, but the seasoning that you use could override the sweet. I use Seasonall-type spices for mine. I've tried to use less oil in order to cut back on calories but they don't cook quite the same. But even served with mayonaise, I find that the calorie counts aren't ridiculous, especially for how filling they are.

I personally prefer to use coconut oil, not just for its nutritional benefits, but I use so little oil in my cooking that olive oil normally goes bad before I get a chance to use it a second time.
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Peel, chop, and stir fry in olive oil. Season with cumin, paprika, a little cayenne. When tender add shredded smoked gouda cheese just until melted. Yum. My daughter has been making these at Thanksgiving for the last several years. She has totally converted all haters of sweet potatoes!!! :)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Peel, chop, and stir fry in olive oil. Season with cumin, paprika, a little cayenne. When tender add shredded smoked gouda cheese just until melted. Yum. My daughter has been making these at Thanksgiving for the last several years. She has totally converted all haters of sweet potatoes!!! :)

This sounds AMAZING.. Have to try this..
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I add them to my oatmeal (along w/ apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and pecans). Adds just enough natural sweetness to offest the blandness of the oatmeal.
  • SoFlaJP2121
    Options
    Sweet potato and black bean burritos are awesome! You can also wrap each individually in a paper towel and place in a freezer bag and freeze. When you want one just pull it out and heat for one minute right in the paper towel. So good!

OMG Thank you for this! I could kiss you in the mouth! lol
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Slice them into reasonably thick discs. Nuke me for 5 mins. Throw on the grill with a touch of Tangerine Oil (Extra Virgin of course). Brown each side. Then add with your favorite meal. Yummy.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I chop them into cubes, toss them in olive oil and a seasoned salt blend, and roast them on a sheet pan with parsnips, onions, carrots, etc
  • How I make mine...

2 Sweet Potatoes, dice in whatever shape tickles your fancy. Place in a large Tupperware. Melt some coconut oil, No salt brand and pepper, or garlic salt, Shake it up baby!

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Once ready, place on tin foil and back for 40 minutes, intermittently spraying with spray butter. Once 40 minutes is reached, Broil for 2 minutes tops.

Take out of oven and OMG BEJEEZERS, lil gifts from Heaven. And they do not taste sweet. I have sweets....

Try it! You'll love it!
  • gottobethin2014
    Options

This sounds AMAZING.. Have to try this..

yip thats one for me too!
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    wow thank you

you have all given me something to work with!

off to the supermarket tomorrow

deffo trying the coconut one with garlic salt
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    btw do any of these work with butter nut squash? another i find really sweet

believe it or not i am not a fussy eater!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

OMG Thank you for this! I could kiss you in the mouth! lol

This visual made me bust out laughing. :laugh:

I usually just eat mine with a little butter, but I also love sweet potato fries. I want to try this burrito, though. I think I might even be able to get my daughter to eat that.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    btw do any of these work with butter nut squash? another i find really sweet

believe it or not i am not a fussy eater!

I know I made something with butternut squash, and I can't remember what it was, but I like that cubed and sauteed in olive oil, then sprinkled with salt and pepper, or roasted is delicious, sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. You could roast the sweet potatoes, too, but that might make them sweeter for you, so I don't know if that'll work. I'll see if I can figure out what I made with the butternut squash.