Only ate 748 calories today

Options
13»

Replies

• 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry eat more; if not don't eat.
    Would you want to eat only 748 calories every day ? -- absolutely not.

The idea that it is bad for you to eat 748 calories ONE day after a day of high calories doesn't make sense. Think about the 748 as a poor fast day (i.e. some people go 24-36 hours without food while intermittent fasting).
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Not eating much the day or two after a binge is your body's way of trying to "make up" for your overindulgence. There have been studies on the "naturally thin people who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight" that have shown this is exactly what their bodies do after a day of overeating--they consume less in the next or two. You'll be fine.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Not eating much the day or two after a binge is your body's way of trying to "make up" for your overindulgence. There have been studies on the "naturally thin people who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight" that have shown this is exactly what their bodies do after a day of overeating--they consume less in the next or two. You'll be fine.

A person who's already in a calorie deficit might feel a little less hungry the day after eating at maintenance or a little above. They don't naturally feel like eating a third of their maintenance calories.

If we had great hunger-cues to start with, the majority of us wouldn't have ended up here.

Overeating and then excessively restricting is how you wind up in a binge-cycle. A banana and a glass of milk tonight to keep you from a kitchen raid, and you should be all set.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with oregonzoo above. 740 calories is a snack for me and I can't believe what some are saying.

It sounds to me as if you don't want to eat out of guilt because of a bad previous day. try to eat up at least 1200 calories even though you had a bad day yesterday. it'll all work itself out in a week.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'd take the cue from my body and not eat, and then I'd feel free to enjoy a big breakfast that includes extra bacon and pancakes the next morning.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying one low day, balanced by other high or normal days, is quite fine and I would not be forcing myself to eat if I wasn't hungry in this scenario.

Some people seem to be making this into a bigger deal than it really is.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    sometimes it happens..dont worry about it too much..it will work itself out:smile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    make up for the binge and cut down the next few days and exercise more. some on here worry more about the calories for a week..not daily. you could still lose this week it you play your cards right.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I used to feel I must eat my calories up each day like a good girl. But I got sick of eating crap at the end of the night to do it. Now I try to eat a little more healthy stuff during the day. But if I don't eat them all I don't and I don't worry about it, and sure as eggs is eggs a day will come, like yesterday, where I feel a bit more hungry than usual, and I will eat a bit more. And guess what, at the end of the week my goal will be more or less on track. I don't hold with anyone eating under 1200 on a regular basis for faster or greater weight loss, but for one day, because they simply are not hungry I don't think there is a problem.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's better to have a snack and at least get over 1,000 so that your metabolism doesn't slow and so that you don't wake up ravenous tomorrow morning making you more likely to binge.

Your metabolism will not slow from one low day.

You're right- my mistake there. I was rather exhausted when writing my response. Your metabolism will not slow down after one day.

Regardless, the worst thing you can do after binging is not eating properly the next day as you want to maintain consistent eating habits to avoid the restriction-binge-restriction cycle that is rather easy to fall victim to. Telling somebody who binged to not eat the necessary amount is setting them up for failure, especially since the OP is anxious and worried about their health.

Eating regularly and balanced nutritious meals is one of the best means of combating binge eating episodes.