Quit smoking >100 days ago.

Options
I quit smoking more than 100 days ago, just before the end of 2013. In that year I already did several attempts, some of which were successful for months, but eventually I started again. I see these as useful experiences.

So I quit again and in the 100+ days after that I discovered something had changed - I didn't have a single moment of temptation. Never did I want to smoke again. Every time I saw smokers, I held my breath to avoid breathing the smoke in.

Now I see smoking as a disgusting habit that's really bad for both short-term and long-term health and that makes people, including me, behave like addicts. And I really don't want that anymore. And I don't want to spend all that money!

Just wanted to share that for all of those who are struggling to quit. I hear a lot that it's hard to keep going and my story shows that it can be different. It can be really easy to not smoke! :)

Another advice: start doing cardio exercise before you quit. This creates a lot of motivation to quit, exercising is a nice way to deal with the stress of everyday life and you'll see the your performance will improve a LOT in the first weeks and months after you quit - so it's a really good way to find out how big the influence of smoking is on your body!

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Good job I'm coming up on 60 days quit. I have a 0 nic ecig around though to avoid relapsing to the real thing. I almost thought I hated smoking so bad I'd never go back until a few days ago. Instead of going back I got the vaper.
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks, you too Josh!

Good idea to get a vaper instead of smoking. I never heard about a 0 nic ecig. Good that you avoid nicotine as well, I always found this nicotine addiction so annoying.

First stage of quitting something is the "fighting stage", where you spend a good amount of energy and willpower to make sure you don't relapse - this is what most people always talk about. But it will not stay hard. Eventually you get to the next stage where it'll be easy, you'll feel in total control. I hope you get there too!

In fact, if you keep viewing not smoking as something that's hard, even when you quit for years the risk of relapsing is still big. At some point you got to change your mindset and see smoking as something that's not relevant to you, it's just something that other people do.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Well done on quitting.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Quitting smoking is what got me into the gym. My energy is up, and I was able to take my temper out on weights. The ability to go outside and run around with my dog, and not get short winded is priceless.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting! I quit in July 2010 and it was the best decision I ever made!
  • laurenthecarts
    laurenthecarts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Did you experience the infamous weight gain? I'm at the contemplative stage of quitting, but the thought of not making as much progress to lose weight and even gain some is making me put it off... I mentioned it to my doctor who said that it was a guarantee 'but that you'll lose what you gain in a year' - wasn't quite as motivational as I think she'd intended!

By the by, I know it's a foolish thing to put me off stopping as the health aspects obviously outweigh that con, but oh well. If I was a completely reasonable thinker I would have never started smoking in the first place eh!
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Rock on!

82 days here, I also use a 0mg nicotine ecig. Haven't cheated not once.

It's really done me wonders for those tough moments like driving when I'd chain smoke before.

I was actually out with friends today and my ecig was hanging around my neck as per usual, but one of them noticed I hadn't used it at all throughout the day, even when others were smoking around me or when I drove.

I wont say I don't still need it, because if I ever have a weak moment, it's there... and it's got to be better than breaking down and buying the real thing... but it helped me start this lifestyle change, and now I believe my lifestyle change has helped me depend less upon it.

I'm enjoying eating healthier, losing weight, breathing better, and getting closer to my goals each day.

Edit to Lauren***

I didn't notice any weight gain, esp. using a 0 nicotine ecig as a replacement habit rather than binging on junk food to keep my mouth busy, chewing gum helps a bit too.

On the contrary, I was able to start biking and roller blading again slowly for longer periods of time, and have lost more weight I believe due to my decision to quit.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Did you experience the infamous weight gain? I'm at the contemplative stage of quitting, but the thought of not making as much progress to lose weight and even gain some is making me put it off... I mentioned it to my doctor who said that it was a guarantee 'but that you'll lose what you gain in a year' - wasn't quite as motivational as I think she'd intended!

By the by, I know it's a foolish thing to put me off stopping as the health aspects obviously outweigh that con, but oh well. If I was a completely reasonable thinker I would have never started smoking in the first place eh!

The weight gain happens if you replace smoking with snacking. I avoided that stage, and started losing weight instead. Just like exercise you have to do it at a pace that won't have you giving up. For me ecigs helped tons.
  • ramyad1
    ramyad1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Well done on your 100+ days! I gave up two weeks ago, however I am using Vapors - Which I guess does not really count however I am reducing that too and hope to be "clean" soon :-)

Problem I have is the weight gain though - I am trying to lose weight at the same time too but not doing so well. Gained 2 kg this last week :-(
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!

One of the best things you'll ever do for your health!

I've been QUIT since 2008

:flowerforyou:
  • sana1314
    sana1314 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well done! I've been quit since 2012
  • Haley_Adele
    Haley_Adele Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well done! :-) I'm on 372 days of no smoking. I've put some weight on but I'm working on getting it back off.
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :D

Not so much this attempt, if any. But my first serious attempt to quit smoking (which was more than a year ago and also lasted >100 days) I gained >10 kgs (around 95 to 106 kg). That's what got me in this losing weight thing. I lost it again within 6 months. Now I'm losing more.

I think the best thing you can do is to start exercising, preferably something that's heavy on your lungs, like running. That way you have a way to get rid of your stress that burns calories - instead of eating calories. If you want to be sure that you don't gain, measure your calories and avoid certain risk foods.

Even if you gain some: for your health it's better to stop smoking and gain a bit then to keep smoking (and not gain).
  • ladonnabeard7
    ladonnabeard7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I quit march 24th cold turkey it hasn't been quite a month yet but I am almost there, I also decided that same day it was time to do some major changes in my life. I have done pretty good, when I get a craving for a cigarette I walk the craving usually last about 10 mins and then it goes away. I have lost 13 lbs so far and I hoping for another 17 down by July. Congrats on everything!!!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

I quit when I found out I was pregnant (unexpectedly), it was still difficult.

I for one, gained about 2 stone after quitting :wink:
  • deana2828
    deana2828 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yay congratulations. Its nice reading this as I have just quit too. I am still at the stage where my moods are up and down. Sometimes I feel upset and at other times angry. I also feel really tired. I am hoping I come out of this stage soon and start to enjoy the benefits :sad:
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    quit July last year, Never felt better.
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well done on your 100+ of quitting. You always know when the time has come to give up :-)

I had smoked for 29 years (and I am still only 45) and I had 3 attempts before I finally decided I really wanted to do it. I have been given up since 2nd April 2013, so just over 12 months.

I have put weight on which I knew would happen. But if I can stop smoking then I can lose weight. One thing at a time, last year was giving up smoking and now this year will be losing weight :-)

I gave up as I wanted to, and I just was fed up with the cost, plus I really didn't want to be someone that was so addicted that is all I cared about.

Again very well done.
  • yaxm
    yaxm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats :D I quit about that time too, I'll send you a FR
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    2 years 4 months nicotine free! I quit cold turkey after a stay in ICU for a arterial blood clot in my leg! It was either quit or lose my leg.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!