Quit smoking >100 days ago.

Options

Replies

• DblChinz
    DblChinz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! I tried to quit smoking numerous times before actually giving it up for good in 2009. I quit smoking after having my son who totally changed my life! It wasn't hard for me when I finally found the reason that made me want to stop. I've only craved it in my dreams, but not when I'm awake. i pray I never pick the habit up again.
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well done, I had to quit 4-5 times before I actually stayed quit. and that was in 1999. It can be done, as you have found. Good luck with the future.
  • TMLfan1982
    TMLfan1982 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is one of those times where being a quitter is good thing. Congratulations to everyone who has quit smoking and good luck to those thinking about it or planning it.

My only advice as a former smoker who quit about one year ago after multiple attempts is:

1) Have a plan
    2) Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out the first time
    3) See your doctor for help
    4) Worry about weight loss after you've quit
  • Jsphine
    Jsphine Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good job, OP!
    I'm still making the attempts almost daily without any success....
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I quit in 1989 when I found out I was pregnant with my son, I had a bad dream that had lung cancer. I can't stand the smell of it now. One of the hardest things I ever attempted to do but well worth the struggle.
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    I quit in 1989 when I found out I was pregnant with my son, I had a bad dream that had lung cancer. I can't stand the smell of it now. One of the hardest things I ever attempted to do but well worth the struggle.

Interesting how a dream can have such an impact!

I can't stand the smell of smoke either, it totally disgusts me! Isn't that fascinating that after deliberately inhaling something for tens of thousands times becomes something that makes you feel sick?

Many people assume that once you're an addict you'll stay sensitive for it your whole life. So here's proof that this assumption should be doubted - at least for smoking.
  • ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! My last cigarette was January 22, 2014. Getting active was my motivation. I was tired of being winded and unable to exercise the way I wanted to. I have noticed so much of a difference!! I noticed a little weight gain and I was grouchy as hell....but that all passes. Good job and continued success!
  • jjuravinski
    jjuravinski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I am going on 3 months myself. It has been a tough journey but it has been one of the best choices I have made for myself!
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! My last cigarette was January 22, 2014. Getting active was my motivation. I was tired of being winded and unable to exercise the way I wanted to. I have noticed so much of a difference!! I noticed a little weight gain and I was grouchy as hell....but that all passes. Good job and continued success!
    Good on you! I am going on 3 months myself. It has been a tough journey but it has been one of the best choices I have made for myself!
    Well done people! :)
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    its 12 days smoke free for me :) not one pound gained :)
  • Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My last smoke was Dec 2, 2013. I had a bacterial infection in my lungs. I am so happy to be able to breathe that a cigarette is the last thing I want. Lol. I am so happy for all of us. Cheers to taking a deep breath.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I quit after smoking 1 to 2 packs a day for 30 years. It's been just over two years and it was the best choice I made in life. The first 6 months were tough, not hell like some people think, but they were tough. Ultimately I think the time comes to a smoker that they decide they really do not want to smoke any more (not the casual "oh, i should quit because it's bad for me" times), when this clicks, it makes it easier. If any one wants to know what I did to quit feel free to pm me, quitting is the best choice you will ever make.

To all the smokers out there - you really can quit!
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    I quit smoking more than 100 days ago, just before the end of 2013. In that year I already did several attempts, some of which were successful for months, but eventually I started again. I see these as useful experiences.

So I quit again and in the 100+ days after that I discovered something had changed - I didn't have a single moment of temptation. Never did I want to smoke again. Every time I saw smokers, I held my breath to avoid breathing the smoke in.

Now I see smoking as a disgusting habit that's really bad for both short-term and long-term health and that makes people, including me, behave like addicts. And I really don't want that anymore. And I don't want to spend all that money!

Just wanted to share that for all of those who are struggling to quit. I hear a lot that it's hard to keep going and my story shows that it can be different. It can be really easy to not smoke! :)

Another advice: start doing cardio exercise before you quit. This creates a lot of motivation to quit, exercising is a nice way to deal with the stress of everyday life and you'll see the your performance will improve a LOT in the first weeks and months after you quit - so it's a really good way to find out how big the influence of smoking is on your body!

Congrats!!! It has officially been 372 days since I quit, Just hit my 1 year on the 16th. Honestly it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but am so glad that I did and that I was able to stick with it!
  • evee7340
    evee7340 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on quitting. It isn't easy!

Def. agree with starting cardio before you quit. I was doing a lot of walking, but still smoking--in fact I would walk a couple miles to a park where I could sit down on a bench and have a smoke. Ugh. But eventually the love of walking won, and I got tired of having pain in my chest and difficulty breathing every time. Part of the reason why I quit in 2004-ish. (Other reason was I moved in with my fiance/now husband, a nonsmoker.)

Also agree with how gross I find the smell of cigarette smoke now. Can't stand it. But I do think about smoking again, all the time. My mom once told me that even 15 years after she had quit, she still thought about it a lot. It happens. I'll never go back, though. I feel so much better without it.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    All these replies make me think it's time for me to quit too !!!!
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I've been trying to quit for a while now. but after feeling crappy all month...I finally put them down (hopefully for good this time) Saturday night. So I'm 3 days without....my toughest times are on the weekends and being around family and friends that still do it.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit smoking so many times I lost count! I'm coming up on a year now!! So excited. And yes, I did gain weight, and yes it was worth it. But I've already lost all the weight I gained and then some. And yes it was hard, and yes I sometimes still want a smoke, but I'm never going to have one. I quit for real this time.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your successfully quitting smoking. I'm really good at quitting. I'm just really bad at maintaining. I've quit for up to 18 months and then started again. What always triggers me? I get so angry at people and want to kill them. Then, I weigh it out. Cigarette or murder? Cigarette or life in prison? Cigarette or being locked up and never seeing my kids again? So, I smoke. I'm at another "sick and tired" juncture in my smoking career (I started smoking at age 9) and I may just go for it. I feel like I've gotten into a great routine of healthy eating & exercise, so quitting probably won't disturb it. Of course, if I want to kill people, I'll be at risk of smoking again, but maybe I can breathe through it.

If anyone would like to friend me and help me through this process, please do!
  • AmyJ421
    AmyJ421 Posts: 4
    Options
    I quit in September 2013 on my birthday. Cold turkey. I had a ecig around just in case, but found I didn't like it, so I never used it. I was just done with it, done with feeling bad. Someone mentioned being tired after they quit, I felt like I could finally sleep through the night all night...for like 30 days, I slept between 10-12 hours per night. I did put on about 15 lbs, but have since lost 5 of that, and working on the rest. I feel better now than I have in 10 years. Congratulations on everyone for quitting. It is hard, but if you are determined you can do it.
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    excellent job! i hear it's the hardest thing to quit. i quit drinking/got sober and it was definitely difficult mentally, but not as hard physiologically. with smoking, i've heard it's extremely difficult because of the mental/physiological addiction. anyway....congrats to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!