I'm pathetic, did 3 mins on my exercise bike and dying :'(

Options

Replies

• purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    3 minutes is more than yesterday. Tomorrow it may be 3 and a half - any step forward is a good one - congratulate yourself for what you have acheived rather than beat yourself up for what you have not.

^^^THIS^^^
    Keep at it, it will get better and easier. YOU CAN DO THIS. Think POSITIVE and POSITIVE things will happen. There were so many things I couldn't (or thought I couldn't do) at a heavier weight and now those things are a breeze. It just takes commitment and dedication. Keep your goal in mind.
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and just thought I'd get back on my exercise bike. Did three minutes and I'm dying, chest getting tight and hurting so I had to stop. I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail.

Hate my disorder medication, made me gain weight with stress. I want to lose it but how can I lose the weight if even 3 minutes is a struggle?

Pathetic eh?? makes me pathetic for only managing 3 mins on a cross trainer... dont sound nice does it.... we have to start somewhere and work up
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well I try to post a couple pics for you, but just remember you wont get any gains from what you don't start. Even if its only 3 mins today and tomorrow but by the end of the week it will be 5 mins. We got to start somewhere and if you don't start you will never get anything out of it.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I work out 1 to 2 times a day for a hour or longer. I am still over weight by 12 to 15lbs and cant get it down if anything its going up. I am motivated and I get out and try. If you want feel free to add me and watch my fight.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You are NOT PATHETIC! If your chest is tight and hurting, you definitely need to move forward slowly, and I think it would be wise to consult with your doctor. Slow and steady is all that is required, and the more your doctor is aware of your goals and efforts to overcome obstacles, the better he can advise you. Set a realistic pace for you, and gradually keep building....I have heart issues, and started out walking 17 minutes......Your doctor can be a great friend to keep you moving forward while in a safe place.
    Take care, and never give up on yourself.....but move forward at a pace that is good for you....It's the direction you are moving that matters most!
    Shari
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Last year I started running (using C25K app) and after running for less than a minute I thought I would die. I was actually sure of it :) Yesterday I ran 5 miles without stopping and felt great throughout.

You have to start somewhere and if you are at 3 min now that is great. Do that until it feels better and then push another 30 sec. etc. You will gradually build up and before you know it you will be rocking your workouts!!

Congrats on getting on that elliptical and making it happen :flowerforyou:
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and just thought I'd get back on my exercise bike. Did three minutes and I'm dying, chest getting tight and hurting so I had to stop. I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail.

Hate my disorder medication, made me gain weight with stress. I want to lose it but how can I lose the weight if even 3 minutes is a struggle?

Two weeks ago, I was totally out of breath when I did the "warm up" of my exercise video. At the end, I was close to throwing up. I've made great progress in two weeks and I am POSITIVE that you can too!!!
    Stick with it. You did 3 minutes and that was 3 minutes more than you did the day before.
    Next time aim for 4 minutes and so on. Consistency will give you results and it is the only way to build your endurance.

If it was easy to get in shape everyone would be a walking Holister ad. But it IS tough. (But you can be tougher than the challenge and triumph)

Congratulations on taking the first step towards a healthier life.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thats 3 mins more than you did yesterday! gotta start somewhere..... dont be so hard on yourself. you are doing something. and that 3 mins is at least 10 laps round the people who chose to stay on the couch :)

i just started on my bike and treadmill too, at the start of a long 100lb to lose journey. add me if you like :) X
  • XxMarciaxX
    XxMarciaxX Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You are not pathetic hun , The more you practice the better you will become. The fact that you are choosing to be active is much better than sitting around all day doing nothing. Heres my story ... For 4 year ive had chronic pain all over my body that started from a niggle in my shoulder and gradually got worse and spread over the years , I am on prescription Tramadol everyday , waiting to be diagnosed in the next few months . Everyday my partner has to lift me out of bed and help me down stairs only to have to help me back up the stairs and massage my aching body at night. But i decided i was to stubborn to let it beat me and 3 times a week once meds had kicked in and pain had eased i started doing 5-10 mins of strength and i would be exhausted all day after.

But the more i did it the easier it got and i am now doing strength/circuit workouts 3x a week and a kickboxing cardio workout 2x a week , Gentle yoga on a Saturday to ease out my body. I have now been doing this consistently for 5 weeks lasting anything from 20-45 mins a time. I still hurt everyday and cry just to get out of bed in the morning but i keep going anyway because i can feel myself getting stronger. If i can do that i know you can do it to. And believe me this is coming from someone who felt so pathetic and weak and useless when i couldn't even get past 5 mins at first. Keep doing what your doing as you are going in the right direction to a healthier you x
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I started with zumba/aero for 15 minutes three weeks ago. I kept stopping and was panting and with shortness of breath,
    Next day, i was able to do 10 mins without resting, but still went to 15 minutes. Then went to 15 minutes straight without resting.

Now, I can do 20 minutes without stopping. I am going to add 5 more minutes tomorrow and so on, until I reach my target of one hour cardio with just one rest ( after 30 minutes) .

Im gonna keep trying . Im sure we can do it!
  • lomajo17
    lomajo17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    MrsStripeyPie: How's your routine going so far?
  • dropdeadgreggie_
    dropdeadgreggie_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So you'll get 3.5 tomorrow, no big deal. Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • HPrHP14
    HPrHP14 Posts: 6
    Options
    YOu can do anything you want to do and may take some time but you can do it with the right motivation and support group. Have faith in yourself and stay strong.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a push up, run or pretty much anything when I started and a year later I did the Spartan Trifecta, ran a half marathon 2 weeks in a row...everyone has to start somewhere!
  • mruter
    mruter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It won't be 3 minutes forever. You just need to build your endurance and before you know it, you will be passing that 20 minute mark. Don't give up. It is hard work but worth it!
  • skylarsmom99
    Options
    3 minutes is more than yesterday. Tomorrow it may be 3 and a half - any step forward is a good one - congratulate yourself for what you have acheived rather than beat yourself up for what you have not.

Very True!!! ^^^^^^ :wink:
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    On day you will be looking at a 5 mile race, or a 60 minute elliptical ride, or whatever your fitness challenge is at the time and feeling discouraged, having forgotten this moment. Right now, your challenge isn't so much physical but mental. You accomplished something by starting, and tomorrow you will accomplish something by getting back on, when you've been telling yourself these negative things. 3 minutes will grow... right now focus on thinking positively, congratulating yourself for what you have done, and taking it slow. You know you can do 3 minutes now, so tomorrow get on the bike and accept nothing less than 3 minutes (even if 3:01 is all you do). You can do it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a push up, run or pretty much anything when I started and a year later I did the Spartan Trifecta, ran a half marathon 2 weeks in a row...everyone has to start somewhere!

Agree with above.

I can't do a pull up, last year I could only shift my shoulders, I can actually pull myself up 1" and while yes, that's still small, it's still better than no inch.

It's like building blocks.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

By maintaining a calorie deficit, and the next time you get on the bike, shoot for 4 minutes, then 5 minutes, and so forth. You'll get there, just be persistent, patient, and always push yourself to whoop some *kitten*.