I'm pathetic, did 3 mins on my exercise bike and dying :'(

Options
12346»

Replies

• kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Six months ago I could do only 6 minutes on my elliptical; today I do up to 50 minutes (I'm still dying but it is so worth it!) :smile:

Exactly me^^^^! Keep going hun, it gets a little bit easier; and you never know, you might even start to enjoy it!!!:wink:
  • deeulisah
    deeulisah Posts: 2
    Options
    Keep doing that 3 minutes honey, it will turn to 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 22 minutes....I know you get the picture. You have to start somewhere; 3 is good....maybe try 3 more minutes a little later on and you'll be at 6 minutes today. Do be impatient. Slow is good. And, stop being hard on yourself. Praise yourself for the 3 minutes...don't put yourself down:flowerforyou:
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you think you're going, you're still out-lapping everyone on the couch.

Weightloss is not a race. It is a long, terrifying journey that has both success and failure.

The only way I'd ever term anyone 'pathetic' is if they decided to give up.

I started out, about a month ago, jogging on the treadmill, could barely go more than a minute at 4.0. It took me almost 20 minutes to get a mile, and I was exhausted, my joints ached, and I wanted to throw up. But I kept at it, and I'm now jogging 3-4 days a week, each time getting better, faster, and going for longer.

Recently I finished a 5k on the treadmill, jogging for 2 mins, then walking for 2 mins.

I've been able to get my mile time down to 13:21, and am now jogging at an average of 4.8 mph all within a month.

Any improvement is a step in the right direction, you just have to be consistent.

Don't give up!

29bd3iw.gif
  • dayhadley
    dayhadley Posts: 46
    Options
    How about starting a simple walking plan at first instead of jumping on the bike. I know when I"m at my heaviest I don't have the stamina for the elliptical which is my favorite, so I'll revert to one of my walking DVD's at home. Leslie Sansone has some very mellow ones and have increments of 20, 30 and 40 minute walks. I just bumped up to Denise Austin fat-burning walking DVD which is more rigorous, but you have to start somewhere. And - as everyone was saying - at least you started! Kudos to you on that. I am having a hard time RE-starting my Denise video or back on the elliptical at Planet Fitness. But, everyday/every minute that you do SOMETHING is a step forward. Especially for people (like us) who are on meds (mine are for thyroid). I want to blame my thyroid and metabolism for the weight and lack of motivation but I DO KNOW, that if I DO SOMETHING, it is better than doing nothing. Keep up the good work! And thanks to MFP boards for motivation of the day!
  • lkmpowell
    lkmpowell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Girlfriend! We are all right here with you...................remember baby steps! I also have a medical condition which requires me to take medication for treatment. Losing weight and exercise is very hard for me, but I be "D*#%" if I will let it keep me down more than one day.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and just thought I'd get back on my exercise bike. Did three minutes and I'm dying, chest getting tight and hurting so I had to stop. I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail.

Hate my disorder medication, made me gain weight with stress. I want to lose it but how can I lose the weight if even 3 minutes is a struggle?

A medication I was on contributed to my gaining 30+lbs in a year and prohibited me from losing any of that weight so i know how you feel in terms of that.

Try doing increments. 2 minutes slowly cycling then 1 minute a little bit harder or even just 30 seconds. then go back to 2 minutes of slow easy riding. Breaking it up with help not only with the pains but will also make it easier to build it up to what you want!

You're not pathetic. and as much as some times i think i am too, i'm not either.

also try stretching before getting on the bike or whatever exercise as well to get the blood flow moving first and also so you don't straight yourself as bad in the long run.
  • mamalov54
    mamalov54 Posts: 1
    Options
    Dont give up I know the feeling, I got on the tredmill about 1 and 1/2 hrs ago and I wanted to give up at the same time but I stayed on and after 10 minutes of going at 3.0 it felt like I could go on to finish the 30 min. It's tough but even if you slow down a bit and then pick up the speed again after a few minutes you will be glad you did. Keep it up I'm routing for you.:smile:
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Start off slow! start with walking!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm pathetic, did 3 mins on my exercise bike and dying :'(

That is 300% more than people not doing any minutes.

BUILD ON IT CHICA!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    take little steps and slowly boost is everyday :)
    if your still having problems try a different form of exercise, dont be so hard on yourself <3
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    So you did 3 minutes.. that's 3 minutes more than SO many other people still sitting on the couch. Tomorrow make it a point to do at least 4 minutes. Don't let yourself stop until you pass that 3 minute mark. Each time just do a little bit more.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    3 minutes is more than yesterday. Tomorrow it may be 3 and a half - any step forward is a good one - congratulate yourself for what you have acheived rather than beat yourself up for what you have not.

Agreed! When I started on my biking, I could only go about 2-3 minutes without being completely out of breath. But I kept it up, day after day (and even logged it, probably to the amusement of some of my MFP pals!). By the second week, I could do five to ten minutes, and as the weeks continued, the number of minutes I could "last" grew. Remember, you are not in a race, so enjoy your progress even if it seems like the increments are tiny to you. Your body will notice, adapt, and you will reach your goals!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and just thought I'd get back on my exercise bike. Did three minutes and I'm dying, chest getting tight and hurting so I had to stop. I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail.

Hate my disorder medication, made me gain weight with stress. I want to lose it but how can I lose the weight if even 3 minutes is a struggle?

You can lose weight just by following the calorie goal that MFP sets for you! Even if you only can do a few minutes on your bike, its GREAT that you are trying! Focus as much as you can on accurately logging your food intake, as you lose weight that way, the exercise part will get easier and easier =)

Good job!!
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Baby steps.... just take baby steps. Don't get distrancted and don't get discouraged.... you just do what you can and your physical condition will improve. Getting back on the bike should not be a stressful event for you..... it should be something you look forward to as you watch and measure your improvement.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start at the beginning, we all have to take baby steps. Please don't call yourself pathetic. I recently found a website I love, looked thru the videos, picked a couple and tried to do them. Not so much. But, guess what? I kept going back and today I did one whole video all the way thru and was it tough? Hell yeah it was tough, but, I did it :) Stop being so hard on yourself, love yourself and take care of yourself and you will get better, one step at a time!
  • thakard
    thakard Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, I also was having the same issue after recently trying to start losing weight. I am 30 years old and am 350 pounds, while I just started using myfitnesspal today I have been trying to exercise more over the last 2 weeks.

If I can let me give you a suggestion, when I started about 3 weeks ago I only could do about 3-5 minutes. I would get tired quickly and that left my confidence very low and I would give up. Starting 2 weeks ago I would start my bike riding and then start playing a game on my iPad. This kept my mind focused on the game and not the burning in my legs and the slow progression of a dot around a screen on my bike.

The first day I started this I hit 15 minutes, and I had no idea that so much time had gone by. Today I was did 30 minutes on the bike and tomorrow I hope to do more. Basically I would say get your mind distracted somehow, it worked wonders for me.
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options

2 minutes at a time and do it 10 times a day. There's more than one way to skin that cat. When you start reaching your mini goals then you'll never wanna look back at the way it used to be.