What if there were no "free refills"?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The reason for less obesity in the 50's, 60's and 70's, people moved more and didn't sit in front of computers/tv's all day. Kids were outside playing all day long. Mother's/wife's were scrubbing floors on their hands and knees. Doing the wash and hanging clothes out. People walk to the grocery stores, etc.

Now everything is done for you.

It's my fault, NOT society's fault, that I got fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumble: :explode:
    And portions were probably smaller.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Huh? You do realize that servers only bring refills when the glass is empty, right? If you hadn't drank the first 5 glasses the server brought you, they wouldn't have to bring you a 6th. Most times they ask. When they just bring one, I leave it, and they see a full glass and don't bring anymore. This is one of the most non-sensical ideas I've ever read. What's the difference between limiting a soda to 16 oz with free refills, or allowing 64 oz sodas with no refills? Both ideas are stupid, and do nothing to fix the problem, which is a lack of education about nutrition.

Also, all you can eat buffets have been around at least 60 years, longer than you've been alive.
    I was brought a "fresh" drink when my cup had 1/3 left just last week. WITHOUT my asking for (or wanting) a new one.

That's a courtesy though. I'd rather get a free refill unprompted that run out if soda and not seeing my server. Especially if I'm eating something spicy lol
    [/quote]I wouldn't. It seems hugely wasteful to me.
    [/quote]

You can ask them not to.
    [/quote]Indeed. After they've poured it and brought it.
    [/quote]

Or at the very beginning when you are seated…

Like someone else pointed out, servers are usually pretty willing to comply with requests, especially simple ones like this where it is LESS work for them.
    [/quote]On the flip side: when entering a new restaurant folks could say: hey, do you have free refills, bring em coming. I'd rather they ASK ME before bringing unwanted things to my table. Hard to know going in, unless you're a regular. If it's not there, I won't feel like I "should" (I don't) drink a little of it. It's just such a silly waste. And not something I've seen in ANY other country. I've never seen a waiter bring a fresh soda (tea, whatever) in a fresh glass when a full 1/3 of the glass of the previous drink is still there. WITH NO PROMPTING. To me it's just silly and wasteful. I'm not saying limit, legislate etc. I'm just saying: ask me before bring refills. Water, drinks, bread...
    Otherwise, I'm generally of the mind that we all make our choices and we all live with those choices. If you want 3 or 4 20ounce sodas? Go for it. The ONLY times I've ever complained about the choices others make is when they are blowing smoke toward me, or taking up part of MY expensive airplane seat. Otherwise, their choices are their own.
    [/quote]

I'm in Canada, it's happened here too. Usually you are asked but I know I've been to a couple of chains where they just bring you one.
    [/quote]Canada, yes. I've had that happen at Earls, but not many other places. Where did you have that happen? It sure says a lot about mark up!
    [/quote]

East Side Mario's was one for sure. I know I've had it happen in at least one other but can't think of it right now.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I go charges for their refills.

I think people should have the right to do what they want. It's not like anyone has ever refilled themselves to death so who cares.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    No just no. People need to be responsible for their own decisions. The nutrional information is available.

If I were to legislate anything weight/diet related it would be for doctors to provide patients with their BMR information after physicals. I rather people be educated than dictated.

^ This.
  • looseseal
    Options
    So restaurants offer free refills on beverages. And? So what? You pay what, $3 for the initial soda and because the refills are 'free', you feel obligated to be glutinous and drink as much as you can while there? You're paying $3 whether you drink one glass or 57. No one is forcing you to drink more than you want. That choice is yours, as it should be and as it should remain. If you don't want more than one glass then don't drink more than one glass. I'm tired of people looking to someone else to tell them what to do. Cripes.
  • incantarix
    Options
    I think one of the reasons the US is fatter is sugar and hydrogenated or processed polyunsaturated oils. People are busier and eat prepared foods more often, and way more than they are supposed to be eating. People who cook their own home made, from scratch foods can get just as fat, when they use too much oil, or just eat too much of it. The US in general has blown portion sizes way OUT of proportion. I understand the argument of "try and have more control over what you eat when you go to a buffet". If everyone had better self control, MFP wouldn't exist, and we'd all be perfect. It's difficult for many people emotionally and psychologically, as food has become as lethal as alcohol to alcoholics. We don't tell alcoholics to "just have control".

Obviously banning free refills and buffets would be silly and never accomplish anything. I think having nutrition classes in school while kids are growing up, and really teaching them what food is all about, is the only way to solve this problem long term. Parents shoving a cookie into their crying children's mouth to comfort them, overindulging at holidays, and making food a reward, are all factors that have contributed to this psychology of overeating and not being able to control oneself in regards of food.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I really miss the days of being glutenous. :sad:

Don't take away the free refills, too. :cry:

And don't even think about taking the salt from the table. :angry:
  • looseseal
    Options
    I think one of the reasons the US is fatter is sugar and hydrogenated or processed polyunsaturated oils. People are busier and eat prepared foods more often, and way more than they are supposed to be eating. People who cook their own home made, from scratch foods can get just as fat, when they use too much oil, or just eat too much of it. The US in general has blown portion sizes way OUT of proportion. I understand the argument of "try and have more control over what you eat when you go to a buffet". If everyone had better self control, MFP wouldn't exist, and we'd all be perfect. It's difficult for many people emotionally and psychologically, as food has become as lethal as alcohol to alcoholics. We don't tell alcoholics to "just have control".

Obviously banning free refills and buffets would be silly and never accomplish anything. I think having nutrition classes in school while kids are growing up, and really teaching them what food is all about, is the only way to solve this problem long term. Parents shoving a cookie into their crying children's mouth to comfort them, overindulging at holidays, and making food a reward, are all factors that have contributed to this psychology of overeating and not being able to control oneself in regards of food.

A nutrition class is fine I guess, but it's the parent's job to teach their children about self-control, portion control, eating well, etc. School's don't help when they feed kids crap and have vending machines in schools (whose dumb idea was that anyway?)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

A nutrition class is fine I guess, but it's the parent's job to teach their children about self-control, portion control, eating well, etc. School's don't help when they feed kids crap and have vending machines in schools (whose dumb idea was that anyway?)
    Parents need nutrition classes. Most parents don't teach their kids anything about nutrition because they don't know anything about nutrition.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day, as I was thinking about some municipalities trying to ban or limit sizing on soft drinks.

When I was younger, when you ordered a soda you got a glass of soda, and if you wanted a refill, you paid for it. I remember begging mom for another refill, which she'd usually allow me one. Now, it's considered good service if you are brought a refill on your drink without having to ask for it. I think I've probably had 6 glasses of soda when a waitress was on her game. (And of course, water was always free.)

We also didn't have all-you-can-eat buffets when I was a kid. We had a "buffet" where you would pay for each item, like a cafeteria line. That was always a treat when I was a kid--I got to eat what I wanted rather than what mom made for me, and had quite a variety to choose from. But I better get what I want on the one tray I went through the line with, and I better eat it all because mom was paying for every ounce.

I think this is a better solution to banning soft drinks. Just have restaurants charge for refills. In my opinion, every wins.

(Btw, I quit drinking soft drinks about a year ago, but every so often I still get a soda.)
    Huh? You do realize that servers only bring refills when the glass is empty, right? If you hadn't drank the first 5 glasses the server brought you, they wouldn't have to bring you a 6th. Most times they ask. When they just bring one, I leave it, and they see a full glass and don't bring anymore. This is one of the most non-sensical ideas I've ever read. What's the difference between limiting a soda to 16 oz with free refills, or allowing 64 oz sodas with no refills? Both ideas are stupid, and do nothing to fix the problem, which is a lack of education about nutrition.

Also, all you can eat buffets have been around at least 60 years, longer than you've been alive.
    I was brought a "fresh" drink when my cup had 1/3 left just last week. WITHOUT my asking for (or wanting) a new one.
    You drink the 1st 2/3 and they automatically bring you a new drink, I get that. But you took it upon you to drink the 2nd 2/3rd cup. So at that point you drank 1 and 1/3rd cup by choice. If you decide to drink another 2/3rds then again that's your choice. You can't blame the waitress for bringing you new drinks. If you didn't drink it in the first place she wouldn't have to. Don't deflect the responsibility off to someone else. It's yours.

If they bring a fresh cup you are not forced to drink it. Drink the water.
    You don't keep drinking the soda, they don't keep refilling your drink. It's pretty simple.
    after they've dirtied another glass and wasted 30 odd ounces of soda. Silly.
  • incantarix
    Options
    Well you're right about it being the parents responsibility, but many parents are not setting the right example and are not well informed themselves. That's why teaching it in schools would be very helpful to create the next generation of parents who would be informed who could then successfully teach their own children.

My parents tried their best, but letting me eat icecream every night, always having a dessert after every meal, and unknowingly enabling me to eat emotionally damaged me, in the long run. They meant well, but just weren't well informed enough to ensure I was giving myself the best chance.
  • incantarix
    Options
    Well obviously, but the point is to begin educating young generations NOW so that when THEY are parents, THEY will know better.
  • incantarix
    Options

Well you're right about it being the parents responsibility, but many parents are not setting the right example and are not well informed themselves. That's why teaching it in schools would be very helpful to create the next generation of parents who would be informed who could then successfully teach their own children.

My parents tried their best, but letting me eat icecream every night, always having a dessert after every meal, and unknowingly enabling me to eat emotionally damaged me, in the long run. They meant well, but just weren't well informed enough to ensure I was giving myself the best chance.
  • incantarix
    Options

Parents need nutrition classes. Most parents don't teach their kids anything about nutrition because they don't know anything about nutrition.

Well obviously, but the point is to begin educating young generations NOW so that when THEY are parents, THEY will know better.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Um no. How about self control? If I want another soda and it fits my macros I am having another soda and I shouldn't have to pay for something that is already included.

End thread. This is all that really needs to be said on this topic...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day, as I was thinking about some municipalities trying to ban or limit sizing on soft drinks.

When I was younger, when you ordered a soda you got a glass of soda, and if you wanted a refill, you paid for it. I remember begging mom for another refill, which she'd usually allow me one. Now, it's considered good service if you are brought a refill on your drink without having to ask for it. I think I've probably had 6 glasses of soda when a waitress was on her game. (And of course, water was always free.)

We also didn't have all-you-can-eat buffets when I was a kid. We had a "buffet" where you would pay for each item, like a cafeteria line. That was always a treat when I was a kid--I got to eat what I wanted rather than what mom made for me, and had quite a variety to choose from. But I better get what I want on the one tray I went through the line with, and I better eat it all because mom was paying for every ounce.

I think this is a better solution to banning soft drinks. Just have restaurants charge for refills. In my opinion, every wins.

(Btw, I quit drinking soft drinks about a year ago, but every so often I still get a soda.)

WHAT?! A third left? That heffa knows she should of brought the next glass with 1/3 GONE, not 1/3 left. Somebody's getting a sucky tip tonight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This legislature would reinforce the notion that ____ makes you fat. That IMO is misinformation. It has already not worked in the past. I bet the low carb low fat low whatever people simply intended to help cut out a massive chunk of foods we seemed to be eating indiscriminately. All it did was demonized a food type for a while until we " knew better " and then start the next vicious cycle with another insert food here.

I would love to see a massive campaign such as this:

SUGAR does not make you fat
    Carbs don't make you fat
    Fat does not make you fat
    Too many CALORIES make you gain weight

But who would make tons of $$ or advance their political career from this??
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Here in my country, we never have free refills, it's a completely foreign idea. Soda is also really expensive, so people generally drink very little of it. Maybe once a week on average.