Eating 1200 weekdays and binge on weekends?

Options
13»

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The real question is why do you want to binge on weekends? Or at all? This could be a sign of a food addiction. Check out www.oa.org.
    \
    I don't think that is true AT ALL. Weight watchers allowed this in their program for a long time. You could "save" points for the weekend. Many of us think of the calories we consume in a weekly framework as opposed to a daily one. This is a MORE normal way to look at it than less. I see naturally normal weight friends eat like this without thinking too much about it.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started to reply but then looked at your profile and you are quite thin at about 98 lbs. Go see your doc to get to the bottom of a maybe deeper issue.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think it would work, but honestly why do you want to restrict yourself so much and then binge? You can try eating 1400 and save 200 from everyday. Or just eat the 1600 and you won't feel the need to binge on weekends - I promise! I'm on maintance right now (I used to eat below 1200, then eat like 2000 in one day) my maintaince is also 1600 and I don't feel the need to binge at all. It's all good

Because I don't want to watch my calories every single day of the week.

Because I enjoy going out on the weekends and stuffing my face.

Because what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me and restricting and watching every single day would result in me ACTUALLY binging.

Been maintaining since December. I usually stay within a 3-4 pound range. 3K or less in a day is not a binge. It's all a numbers game I'm happy to play.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between a planned weekend caloric surplus and a binge. I would consider a binge to be more eating uncontrollably, until your stomach hurts.

^^^^ this

the word binge is overused and incorrectly used

OP: what you describe sounds like calorie cycling, i.e. over the course of a week having high calorie days and low calorie days, and then you look at your weekly calorie total and make sure you're in deficit for the week... if you're in deficit for the week you should lose weight. There's nothing wrong with this approach, just as there's nothing wrong with having a daily deficit and eating the same number of calories per day. The only thing I'd caution is not to have too many low calorie days in a row such that you get too hungry and prone to unplanned overeating. This is probably the number 1 cause of people screwing up their diets. Most calorie cycling plans I've seen have only 3 low calorie days in a row, then at least 1 high calorie day. And make sure the weekly deficit number is the right size for your goals and how much weight you have to lose (i.e. 20% deficit if you have a lot to lose, 10% deficit if you're just looking to lose the last few lbs - or maintenance calories if you're eating at maintenance)