Always full and struggle getting to 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    No offense but how did you get overweight then?

Lol well before I ate anything I wanted and didn't concern myself with calories. At my heaviest I was 225. Since I started eating healthier, I have lost 25 lbs and no offense taken :)

Glad you don't get offended at this question, I think its a stretch to try to be offended at it anyways :) Its really perplexing to have people say stuff like this if its really true for them and not an attention getter, because obviously you ate a lot more than this before to get where you are, so what changed exactly, especially since you aren't "eating clean"? I'd suggest two things: you are eating more than you think, so get a scale and weigh and log everything carefully and 2) don't change a thing about how you are eating so far until you get a handle on the whole food weighing and portion size, because its likely you are in the correct zone, just slightly under reporting your food amounts, and if you don't change and keep your mindset of its "too much food", that can help you in the long run.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand feeling full and being unable to hit your calories when you are more mindful of what you eat. My daily calories range between 1000 and 2500 depending on what I feel like eating that day, and I sometimes feel more satiated at the lower range depending on my choices!

One of the usual candy bars I used to eat frequently had 300 calories for a 40 gram (1.4 oz) serving. I would eat 3-4 at once and not feel satiated.

Now it's different. Today for example I had 2 huge servings of salad for lunch which overall consisted of 110-150 g (about 4-5 oz) each purslane, cabbage, orange bell peppers and lettuce and half a cup of lemon juice/vinegar. If I had stopped there, I would have been looking at a maximum of 120 calories for such a huge meal. To get your usual meal at 1200 calories with this salad for example, you would have food coming out of your nose. It simply wouldn't fit in! What I did to add calories was to add some olive oil and a handful of walnuts to my salad for 200 extra calories.

Moral of the story: if you feel too full, add calorie dense foods to your low calorie meals like oils and nuts/nut butters.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options
    Eat a protein bar as a snack after supper.. or sometime during the day maybe?
    I eat a lot of fish.. so I can understand struggling to get to your goal.. but I will eat like 3 pieces of fish for supper.. That's only 100 calories per fish!

So protein bars can be a life savor!

BTW.. water with cereal!? YUUUUCK lol :)

haha i don't mind the water. i guess i never really thought of eating more than the serving size on chicken bc I didn't wanna go way over in protein.

You say you don't mind the water, but why not just eat something you enjoy. One of the biggest things I learned this time losing weight was eat things I like. I don't have to eat nasty cauliflower or something I don't enjoy just because people say it's good for you.

But OP said she doesn't like milk - she doesn't have to have cereal with milk just because everyone else does.

If she prefers it with water, good for her.

I knew someone who had cereal with orange juice - ie used the orange juice in the bowl the way most people would use milk.
    Didn't appeal to me at all but she liked it.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you are full then stop eating- if you are hungry eat more.
    make healthy choices, you are on a winner!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Eat a protein bar as a snack after supper.. or sometime during the day maybe?
    I eat a lot of fish.. so I can understand struggling to get to your goal.. but I will eat like 3 pieces of fish for supper.. That's only 100 calories per fish!

So protein bars can be a life savor!

BTW.. water with cereal!? YUUUUCK lol :)

haha i don't mind the water. i guess i never really thought of eating more than the serving size on chicken bc I didn't wanna go way over in protein.

You say you don't mind the water, but why not just eat something you enjoy. One of the biggest things I learned this time losing weight was eat things I like. I don't have to eat nasty cauliflower or something I don't enjoy just because people say it's good for you.

But OP said she doesn't like milk - she doesn't have to have cereal with milk just because everyone else does.

If she prefers it with water, good for her.

I knew someone who had cereal with orange juice - ie used the orange juice in the bowl the way most people would use milk.
    Didn't appeal to me at all but she liked it.

Not minding water is different than enjoying eating it that way. I didn't say she had to eat it with milk, but there are so many other things you can choose to eat why pick something that you don't think is great
  • bdawson
    bdawson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I am in the same boat as you. My problem, when I'm not watching what I'm eating, isn't with portion sizes, or types of food, it's with all the other junk I eat ie)chips, cookies, chocolate bars etc. Thus when I cut those things out I really struggle to eat enough calories. As other posters have said, try to include healthy high calorie food into your diet. Eg) peanut butter, olive oil, etc. Also you can look at things like protein bars, just make sure you get one that doesn't have a lot of sugar or carbs.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    on some days... So far, I have lost a pound every single day, minus yest where I gained one b/c it was Easter.

I'm currently 5'4" and weigh 200 lbs. I eat approx. every 3 hours and do not eat anything after dinner.

Other than yesterday (because it was a holiday), I stick to portion sizes on everything. I am a "dirty" eater so it's not exactly like I eat too much protein or too much fiber. I do aim to drink half my body weight in water and do not drink anything other than water.

Obviously, I want to get over 1200 calories but some days I struggle. My diary is public if anyone has any tips or can relate.

I guess my question is how did you get to 200 lbs if you think 1200 calories is too much? My thought is you are eating more than you think you are. It's a common problem that most of us deal with.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek and the first thing I noticed is that you have cereal for breakfast quite regularly, but there isn't any milk entered (unless you eat dry cereal for breakfast?). Also wondering if you are using a food scale, if not, you're likely eating more than you're logging.

EXACTLY!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when my stomach says yeah or nay. I eat because I need the fuel to do the things I like do. :happy:

I would like to get to that point. I'm just afraid of eating clean bc it would cut out a lot of dirty foods that have more calories and replace them with fruits and veggies, which would tend to have less.

This makes no sense to me at all, OP. Eating clean would, yes, contain foods with less calories- but you'd be eating more OF them, and ingesting more nutrients rather than processed crap. Failing to see a downside.
    At the very least, try it before ruling it out.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one commented on OP's statement that she is loosing a pound every day. I'm no expert, but that can't be healthy. 1-2lbs a week is what MFP recommends.
  • goingthecourse
    Options
    Struggle??

I struggle to stay under my calories and I eat between 1700-2000 calories. laugh
    I was like this too! Then I started doing exercise and now I'm looking at my calorie requirement way up there in the clouds and I'm like "What? How do I reach that? I'm going to bed." Not healthy!!!

[sorry about the editing omg quoting is hard]
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1. You CAN eat more than 1200 calories, you just WON'T. You obviously did once before, or you wouldn't be trying to lose weight in the first place.

2. Losing 1 lb per day is not healthy. You should be shooting for 1 lb per WEEK, and no more than 2 lb per week.

3. You not only need to reach 1200 calories, but you need to eat more than that. If you're 200 lbs, your BMR is definitely higher than 1200 calories, and you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

4. Yes, you need to weigh foods instead of using measuring cups if the food is a solid (meat, cereal, etc.). You can still use measuring cups for liquids, though some people insist on using the scale for everything. I use both, depending on the food.

5. What's this about not wanting to go over in protein? The more protein, the better! Why would you be limiting protein of all things?

6. Cereal with WATER? That sounds absolutely disgusting. So you don't like milk - is that all types of milk? Cow's milk, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc? I'd personally rather skip the cereal altogether if my only other option was water. Blech!

7. Excuses. Cut it out. Your body needs fuel. Food is fuel. Therefore, eat food. Your health is more important than some arbitrary number on a scale. Take care of your body, because it's the only one you'll ever have.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I really admire you Amber. You have asked for help when you needed it. You have answered questions politely. You've shown patience and grace when some responses have asked questions you have already explained or, quite frankly, been down right snide.

I think it takes courage to make your diary public and ask, "where am I going wrong?". Good for you.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Struggle??

I struggle to stay under my calories and I eat between 1700-2000 calories. :laugh:

OMG! I wouldn't know what to do with so many calories
    Wine, beer, ice cream, cheese..... :love: :love: :love:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    1. You CAN eat more than 1200 calories, you just WON'T. You obviously did once before, or you wouldn't be trying to lose weight in the first place.

2. Losing 1 lb per day is not healthy. You should be shooting for 1 lb per WEEK, and no more than 2 lb per week.

3. You not only need to reach 1200 calories, but you need to eat more than that. If you're 200 lbs, your BMR is definitely higher than 1200 calories, and you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

4. Yes, you need to weigh foods instead of using measuring cups if the food is a solid (meat, cereal, etc.). You can still use measuring cups for liquids, though some people insist on using the scale for everything. I use both, depending on the food.

5. What's this about not wanting to go over in protein? The more protein, the better! Why would you be limiting protein of all things?

6. Cereal with WATER? That sounds absolutely disgusting. So you don't like milk - is that all types of milk? Cow's milk, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc? I'd personally rather skip the cereal altogether if my only other option was water. Blech!

7. Excuses. Cut it out. Your body needs fuel. Food is fuel. Therefore, eat food. Your health is more important than some arbitrary number on a scale. Take care of your body, because it's the only one you'll ever have.

X2
    Especially the last one.
  • Melaniemelanie1981
    Melaniemelanie1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your lucky, I struggle to stay under my calories lol.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. We are on here because we can easily eat over 1200 calories! It is too easy, certainly not hard. I never understand when people on here say they cant eat enough,what? why are we overweight then? I struggle keeping it under 2000 calories! thought that is why we are here not the opposite problem, I cant eat enough. We can all eat enough. Don't mean to be mean but it certainly isn't a struggle eating too much.

The prospect of physically eating 1,200 calories can, in my opinion, create a mental blockage that translates into a person not being able to eat that much. Let's say a person is used to eating 2,000 calories per day then decides to go on a diet and follows the default setting of 1,200 calories. Sounds good? Not really because they haven't really made a game plan other than go on a diet to lose weight. So for breakfast, they open the fridge and spotting nothing they think they can eat, they close the fridge and may repeat several times finally skipping the meal entirely or settling for a quick 100 calorie fix. This repeats at lunch time. By dinner time they have only had 300 or 400 calories, may not really be hungry or missing the hunger cue, then can't find anything that meets their criteria of a diet food for dinner so they eat very little. This type of thing continues until you establish a pattern of eating a calorie deficit that meets at least the 1,200 calories. So when someone complains they are struggling to get to the 1,200 calories it's more they are fighting that psychological barrier. My opinion.

Just to clarify - We are not all here for weight loss, a common misconception that comes up in the forums. Not everyone can eat enough either so generalizations don't apply. Just because you are struggling to keep your calories below 2,000 doesn't mean others are. Everyone is different with their own struggles in their diet journeys whether or not the goal is weight loss.

Agree with the "Just to clarify" section.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body - you definitely do NOT need to force anything into yourself when your body says no. :)

1200 calories is the bare minimum recommended for a sedentary woman. This has less to do with weight loss and more to do with making sure you're getting enough nutrients into your diet. It's harder to get enough protein and fat as well as the various vitamins and minerals your body needs if you're eating at such a low calorie level.

Hunger shouldn't be the only indicator of whether or not you're eating enough. The hormones that control our hunger cues can be suppressed by too many things, including exercise and prolonged undereating. You also need to watch your mood, focus, energy levels, gym performance, as well as things like healthy skin and nails.

You can boost your calories without adding a lot more food by incorporating more calorie dense foods into your diet. Nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy, cheese, Greek yogurt, sour cream, avocado, full calorie dressings and sauces, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate, ice cream, fruit juice, protein shakes and smoothies, granola, whole eggs, etc. It should be fairly easy to boost each meal by a few hundred calories.
    This!

Seriously, verhunzt, every post you have had has been TERRIBLE information. I seriously wish you could have a muzzle for your hands.
  • law110
    law110 Posts: 43
    Options
    Wow! You've lost a pound everyday! That's fantastic. I think your body is really working with you to get where it wants to be.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No offense but how did you get overweight then?
    I'm curious too. I'm so sick of seeing people who say "OMG, i can't eat 1200- but then they are def. overweight " . If you can't eat 1200 a day how did you end up this big ??? Give me a break !

I'm sorry...I'm kinda in this boat. I wish I couldn't eat my 1700 cals/day. I would be in a better place than I am now!!