What is your favorite healthy meal?

Options

Replies

• picklelou
    Options
    I love home made turkey burgers & mango & avocado salsa.
    So easy to make, freeze well and the fruity salsa stops my cravings for desert.

I love to cook & rarely measure, normally throw in things as I find them in my fridge.

Turkey Burgers:
    Pack of ground turkey mince.
    Half a red chilli, diced into little bits
    Quarter green pepper, diced into little bits
    Quarter red onion, diced into little bits
    Coriander (or Cilantro if you're from the US)
    Salt & pepper to season.

Mix it all up in a big bowl. Split out into burgers. I usually make 8 and freeze them.
    Pop under the grill, or BBQ and cook until cooked through but still juicy.
    You can serve as is, or sometimes I serve them 'protein style' - wrapped in a lettuce leaf with the salsa. I've even popped a slice of grilled haloumi cheese in there.

Mango salsa:
    Half a Mango (or half a cup of frozen mango)
    1/8 cup sweet corn (can use frozen)
    1/2 avacado, cubed
    1 tomatoe, diced
    Red Chilli, as desired
    Handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
    1 thick slice of red onion, diced into little bits
    Half a fresh lime, squeezed
    Salt & pepper.

I find this makes about 3 decent serves. 2 for dinner for my husband and myself and then a portion for lunch the next day.

Serve burgers with a Kale Salad, with a squeeze of lemon instead of dressing.

I also have a great recipe for Raw Chocolate.

Raw Chocolate is actually GOOD for you and tastes as good, if not better than the stuff packed with refined sugar.
    I always have a batch in the fridge for when I get my chocolate cravings.
    Your mould will determine the size and qty and therefore the calorie content.

The recipe is really simple and you can get the ingredients from any good health store:
    1 cup raw cacao powder
    3/4 extra virgin coconut oil
    2 tbs Agave

If your coconut oil is solid, heat over a bowl of warm water until melted.
    Mix all ingredients in a bowl, pour into moulds and set/keep in the fridge.

Enjoy!
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have salmon LOTS. Not much of a red meat eater.. and I will have chicken if someone else cooks it lol

I have smoked raw salmon and salad mountain bread wraps for lunch and they are delicious. And I LOVE eggs. So i have ALOT of eggs. You could make pastry free mini quiches? Just put all ingredients you would into a mini quiche bar the pastry. I put Diced bacon, onion and creamed corn into mine and they are soooo good. Sometimes I even use pastry depending on how much exercise I've done that day :-)
  • SusanBT1954
    Options
    Could I have the recipe for that cajun chicken sausage burger? Sounds interesting.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Fluffy oatmeal with ground cinnamon and a banana!
  • wannastayfit
    wannastayfit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cool CousCous Salad - I make this all of the time and add chicken or tuna or salmon. Everyone LOVES it. So easy and makes a lot for many days. Its low calorie, has fiber, is filling and you can add any protein you want.

1 cup dry whole wheat couscous, prepared and cooled (I get at Trader Joe's)
    1 large cucumber – diced
    3 tomatoes, chopped (I use a pint of grape tomatoes and cut them in half)
    1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    ¼ cup of red onion (my add)
    4 oz. reduced fat feta cheese (last step)

Dressing:
    ¼ cup olive oil (original recipe used a ½ cup which is so unnecessary)
    ½ cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp. honey (generous)
    2 tsp. Dijon mustard (generous)
    S&P to taste

Mix dressing with salad and refrigerate. Enjoy.
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options

I'm a food newbie.. what is Couscous?
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I first read that headline as "Who is your favorite healthy man?" Totally different kind of question.

I figure that variety is one of the bigger parts of health, changing things up so that you get foods that have different nutrients. I do most of my own cooking, though I don't go so far as to make my own pasta or sausage, mind you.

I've been making stuffed mushrooms on a fairly regular basis - stuffing consisting of mostly vegetable ingredients though I do use a little sweet italian sausage and some bread. Mushrooms have very few calories so that helps keeps the total count down and you can control most of the other "health" factors in your stuffing recipe choices.

I recently made a big post of soup. I started with a mix that had freeze-dried ingredients to which you were to add your own broth and chicken, but I took it a step further and added more water and a whole bunch of fresh vegetables as well. It was easy and good for 10 servings that were very convenient during a busy week. Only 190 calories per serving despite lots of chicken.

To answer the question that wasn't asked, though I had to Google healthy men, I'm middle aged so Dr. Oz would do.
  • drctbone88
    drctbone88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers simple enough, Try Flat bread with Hummus instead of mayo,add lettuce and cucumber and lots of smoked salmon,not kidding it is awesome
  • Alz4589
    Alz4589 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're gonna need to cook if you want eating healthy to be affordable!!

Turkey meatballs with diced basil, mushrooms and onions. In the oven for ~30 minutes at ~300. Put them in a clean (no high fructose corn syrup!) tomato sauce over spaghetti squash or whole wheat or gluten-free pasta, there ya go.

Echo the crustless quiches - bake them in muffin tins for breakfast.

Chicken salad/tuna salad/egg salad using low fat mayo and fruits & veggies for flavor (fruits like apples and craisins for chicken and tuna, veggies like green onion and celery for all of them)

Get sandwich thins or sprouted grain bread. Basically anything that will give you 2 pieces for under 120 calories, and always whole grain.

I know you eat a lot of chicken but try adding some pineapple salsa or slices of mango to a chicken breast.

Chicken sausage with anything - stir fry w/ veggies over brown rice or with tomato sauce over pasta.

46767052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • allilea2
    allilea2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of quinoa with black beans and salsa for lunch lately. Also, make a pot of chicken tortilla soup with low carb/ low calorie tortillas. Good luck!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Some sort of bean soup, I often change it each time I make it, but the basic recipe is chicken or veg stock with tinned tomatoes, mustard, chives, onions a mixture of beans and carrots. I add leftover meat scraps to it, or add bacon at the start or veg such as leeks and celery. Cheap to make and high in protein.

Or stuffed tomatoes - beef tomatoes stuffed with couscous, minced pork, garlic and onions.
  • AviBZ
    AviBZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to dishes when I don't feel like cooking is sauteed chick peas, with onions and parsley. I season it with cooked down tomatos (or prepared sauce), salt, pepper, lots of cumin. Add cayenne if you like it spicy. Serve with a little brown rice and a cucumber tomato salad. Filling, tasty, works OK cold as a leftover.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Black bean burgers! They're super good and lots of protein! I got the recipe from here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1070721-easy-black-bean-burgers
  • djslickrix
    Options
    My favourite is chicken curry with rice.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    one of my favorites is what we call Eatzaa

Take a thin whole wheat pita - I use Haddad whole wheat pitas at 140 calories each
    add a couple spoons of BBQ sauce to the top - 70 Calories
    top with some grilled chicken or turkey - 40 Calories
    add some fresh peppers, broccoli, onion (vegetables vary by season and what is in the fridge) -??
    Sprinkle a little light shredded cheese on top - 60 calories

Bake in oven for 8 minutes and you get a healthy pizza substitute that my whole family loves
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    you can make a stir fry with beef,pork.veal.fish,tofu,shrimps or chicken and instead of putting rice which add carbs a lot....add bean sprouts. Add mix veggies and tadaaam! very healthy meal.... Low cal, high protein,low carbs,low fat.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I roast a whole zuchinni in the oven with a tbsp of olive oil until it slightly chars on the bottom.
    Then I use any pasta sauce of my choice, cheese or anything else and chow. So tasty,
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I'm a food newbie.. what is Couscous?

The best way I can describe it is that its like rice....but even smaller. Its the sand of the pasta world, haha. But not quite so grainy! ;)
  • Veggie_Ankers
    Options
    I have loads of favourite healthy dishes but the simplest is grilled Salmon with fresh boiled new potatoes mixed with mint raita and fresh garden peas.

Put the Salmon on while the potatoes boil, add the peas to the potatoes about 3-4 minutes before they're ready. Drain and mix in some mint raita and serve with your grilled salmon and a squeeze of lemon and/or lime juice :happy: quick easy and very tasty! And no chicken in sight :laugh:

I love homemade Thai green curry too but it's a lot more prep with making the paste as well :smile:
  • npayne90
    npayne90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Apple and oatmeal microwaved with skim milk, then topped with cinnamon, 5 crushed almond and 2 packs Splenda, I love this and taste like Apple pie.
    Firm tofu sautéed with spring onions and olive oil. Delicious and 20g + protein. It took 3 minutes to cook and chop.
    Banana and 5 peanuts.
    Tea.
    Boiled egg in whole wheat bread nothing else.
    Spicy sweet sour tomato soup with water veggies, usually zucchini, spinach and carrots. Today I added mushroom and asparagus.
    Protein powder mixed with blackberries smoothie.
    Dark chocolate.
    Oat bar that is 85 cals and quite big.
    Yellow soy bean stir fry or soup.