If you're looking for weight loss help read this..

Options

Replies

• Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to mention that last night ... i ate 6 90 calorie rice krispie treats *GASP*
    My diary is PRIVATE however, my diary proudly displays those 6 treats.

OMG! NO WAY! :noway: You indulged in something and didn't TELL ME?!?! This is totally unacceptable. :bigsmile:

HAHAHAH!
    OMG SHAME SHAME SHAME!

God forbid. lol I can't believe how many calories those things have. I wouldn't eat one, just cuz it hurts my teeth.
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    I do not think every person needs it public. we all have a choice - and it is individual. I don't have my public - I don't think I need to in order to loose weight.
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    I have wondered whether I should make my diary public. Perhaps it would put increased pressure on me to eat more healthy foods and less junk. On the other hand I like that I can record there without worrying what people think. Also I personally think diary analysis is overrated. What matters for weight loss is that you eat less calories than you burn. You can support people in many ways without analysing their diary. Nobody has seen my diary yet and I have received fantastic support. Every time one of my friends kicks butt on a workout, loses a lb or keeps under their goal it's inspiring!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Mine is private, as this journey is for me, not you, and not anyone else.

Give up the holier-than-thou act - not everyone wants judgmental people (like you) knowing everything about them. Using a diary is useful whether it's online or in a book - it's a tool.

Besides, why would you want to snoop anyway?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to mention that last night ... i ate 6 90 calorie rice krispie treats *GASP*

OMG! NO WAY! :noway: You indulged in something and didn't TELL ME?!?! This is totally unacceptable. :bigsmile:

HAHAHAH!
    OMG SHAME SHAME SHAME!

God forbid. lol I can't believe how many calories those things have. I wouldn't eat one, just cuz it hurts my teeth.

I know, I'm totally mortified by my own actions. I had this urge, and i'm not sure why because I haven't in almost 2 months and I ate soooooo well (and even passed up dessert last night). Even more reason to be annoyed at myself!!! hahahaha. I'm paying for it today though. No treats for me, not even a little bit hahahaha. Stupid RK!!! lmfao. SNAP, CRACKLE & POP ... YOU ARE THE DEVIL!! hahahahahha.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

HAHAHAH!
    OMG SHAME SHAME SHAME!

I know, I'm totally mortified by my own actions. I had this urge, and i'm not sure why because I haven't in almost 2 months and I ate soooooo well (and even passed up dessert last night). Even more reason to be annoyed at myself!!! hahahaha. I'm paying for it today though. No treats for me, not even a little bit hahahaha. Stupid RK!!! lmfao. SNAP, CRACKLE & POP ... YOU ARE THE DEVIL!! hahahahahha.

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :devil: My name is Rice Crispy Treat, and I will dominate you! ROFLMAO
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I will rarely make anything public online.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just deleted her from my friends list. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I disagreed with this post. I have my diary set as private and I'm doing just fine.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I must admit - I agree. :bigsmile:

My diary is public and well, it can be a bit scary some days ... and even if I do the "quick add calories" I always put the details in my notes.

Carry on.........

:flowerforyou:
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Don't know about ya'll... but I sure do feel better. :drinker:

I think it's very important for people to show their food diary. Obviously. What I didn't clearly articulate is this:

when someone has a private diary, comes on here and asks for help it makes it very difficult to pinpoint the issue. All the help in the world isn't going to address this true situation because no one can see what is truly going on.

This is just me expressing my opinion. I don't actually care what you eat... if you're eating 9 rice crispy treats and losing weight, well, great! ^5... MOST people can't get away with that... but then again, you didn't come on here asking for help, either.

I didn't mean to insinuate anyone was actually lying, hell... I could be lying, as someone pointed out. Those who know me, know I'm not.

If you're doing fine on your weight loss, then I wasn't really referring to you... I have not been around this board long enough to "prove" myself with weight loss tickers and before and after pics, but I have been around the weigh loss bend. I HATE keeping a diary, HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!! I wish I could just eat what i wanted, but alas..... View my profile and you'll see before, after and current pics. I'm not hiding...

Keeping a food diary is what makes you accountable, and having it public helps to keep you accountable when you are faced with a tempting situation.

That's all I'm trying to say. If you took offense, my apologies, but I hope you were able to get in a good workout after reading everyone's posts... :blushing:

Now... can we all just get along? :flowerforyou:
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A little while ago I checked your "recent posts" link and noticed that you had posted on a few threads where individuals were expressing frustration and yet you couldn't see their diary. Quite frankly, if it bothers you that much just move on. Perhaps those individuals aren't looking for tips on what they are eating. Maybe they need support and words of encouragement. Regardless, I concluded that this was the source of your anger. But while we're on this topic of diaries, I want to discuss something else.

It isn't just threads calling for help that bother you. Because one day last week when I ended my day and was under my calories your post to me was something like, "I'd love to praise your choices for the day but I can't see your diary." That's not a specific quote but it's close to what you said. I didn't ask for you to praise me nor did I ask for your help in critiquing my day. So why make a comment like that? And why do you need to see my diary to give me praise? I was under my calories! That's all you needed to know at that point! That well deserves a "Way to go!" or something of the like.

After you did that to me, I really thought about whether or not I should be showing my diary. I decided that no, I don't have to answer to you right now. Or to anyone else. I have a college degree in nutrition. I know what to do. So why am I here? Well I've been on a journey that started a few months ago. It started as self-reflection. I am on the brink of starting an exciting career in a field I am passionate about. And yet I must walk the walk if I'm going to talk the talk. So that is what I'm doing right now. I am taking it one day at a time. Baby steps. I don't always make perfect choices but my journey isn't just about weight loss. Its also about sorting through the emotions that have led me here and learning to embrace them one at a time so that I can learn from them and move on to the next. As I walk this path I am keeping track of what I learn from each step. This will enable me to apply what I've learned to help others some day.

Before and after pictures? Ha! I will be happy to share those at some point, but I'm not going to right now. The pictures I have up in my profile are all within the last year. That's as good as its going to get right now. I'll share pics of my journey when I'm ready. None of this means I'm hiding. It means I'm taking one step at a time and no one is going to make me feel guilty about that.

To quote you, "Keeping a food diary is what makes you accountable, and having it public helps to keep you accountable when you are faced with a tempting situation." This may help to keep YOU accountable, but I don't need to be held accountable by others. I am strong enough to be accountable all by myself right now. If it gets to a point where I need the help of others, I'll let you know! I can accept the choices you make because they help you. I felt when reading some of your posts that you really wanted to help people. But not everyone needs help in the same way. Accept it and try to offer the type of support they need. Or move on and let them be. But there is no need to be demanding or to get angry when people don't do things the way you think they should. Just sayin.....

Now lets get back to helping one another, shall we? :)
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Don't know about ya'll... but I sure do feel better. :drinker:

I think it's very important for people to show their food diary. Obviously. What I didn't clearly articulate is this:

when someone has a private diary, comes on here and asks for help it makes it very difficult to pinpoint the issue. All the help in the world isn't going to address this true situation because no one can see what is truly going on.

This is just me expressing my opinion. I don't actually care what you eat... if you're eating 9 rice crispy treats and losing weight, well, great! ^5... MOST people can't get away with that... but then again, you didn't come on here asking for help, either.

I didn't mean to insinuate anyone was actually lying, hell... I could be lying, as someone pointed out. Those who know me, know I'm not.

If you're doing fine on your weight loss, then I wasn't really referring to you... I have not been around this board long enough to "prove" myself with weight loss tickers and before and after pics, but I have been around the weigh loss bend. I HATE keeping a diary, HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!! I wish I could just eat what i wanted, but alas..... View my profile and you'll see before, after and current pics. I'm not hiding...

Keeping a food diary is what makes you accountable, and having it public helps to keep you accountable when you are faced with a tempting situation.

That's all I'm trying to say. If you took offense, my apologies, but I hope you were able to get in a good workout after reading everyone's posts... :blushing:

Now... can we all just get along? :flowerforyou:

I can agree with that. Sounds like in your original post, you had poor delivery, and sometimes, that can cause Foot In Mouth-itis.(where you shove your foot in your mouth) lol If a person doesn't make their diary private, it's for a reason, and that is their choice. Now, as far as asking for help, I think if they want the help, they will be specific to the details of what might be causing it all.
  • Cheilsea
    Cheilsea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A little while ago I checked your "recent posts" link and noticed that you had posted on a few threads where individuals were expressing frustration and yet you couldn't see their diary. Quite frankly, if it bothers you that much just move on. Perhaps those individuals aren't looking for tips on what they are eating. Maybe they need support and words of encouragement. Regardless, I concluded that this was the source of your anger. But while we're on this topic of diaries, I want to discuss something else.

I agree 100% with this. A lot of people just need encouraging words to get motivated. There are people in phenomenal shape who have a down day every once in a while and need to hear something to get them moving. This whole forum is supposed to be about supporting one another. If someone has something negative to say, then don't say anything at all. And if you "didn't mean for it to come off like that" then maybe you should think more carefully about what you want to say before you push the reply button.

For those of you who have been upset by this whole ordeal, try not to let this or anything of the sort get to you. Sometimes people feel so guilty and bad about themselves, they feel the need to take it out on others by trying to discourage you. Don't let it happen to you. Be better because you deserve more. You will encounter situations like this throughout your entire life and you decide how you let it effect you. So use it as motivation to prove them wrong.

"If living well is the best revenge, then my life will be your end."
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    I have my food diary public and I really don't care who looks at it or what they say about my food intake for the day. when it all boils down they are in their end of the kiddie pool and I am in mine. the two more than likely will never meet. I like looking at other people's food diaries because I get some good ideas on different things to diversify my menu. I wouldn't want to be eating nothing but salads all day every day. I would get sick of them fast. I would also never comment negativly about anyone elses choices. I didn't get fat by others force feeding me.. I did it on my own and how I got this way is no one's fault but mine.
    I am not saying she was right in what she said I am also not saying she was wrong but I do think that she was rather abrasive in how she said it. but that could just be the kind of person she is. we are all different and I personally don't think EVERYONE needs a ton of fluff bunny people patting their heads and saying good job for not gaining. But some people do and that is ok too. I like constructive criticizm. it helps me when I start back peddling and doubting myself. but I do not mean for someone to come and totally berate me for making a mistake. like today I ate three pieces of pizza... who cares it tasted soooooooo damn good and tomorrow is another day. it is a fact that people who deny themselves one guilty pleasure once in a while in moderation are more likely to binge.
    I would never push anyone to make their diary public that is their choice and I am sure there are plenty of public diaries I can look at for my food ideas. and if not I can post and ask for ideas.
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    also in case no one saw it when they signed up this site is not only for weight loss. there was an area for weight gain too.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    WOW! First negative post I have seen on here! I agree 100% with Raychel_xoxo and several others. Totally unnecessary post! My diary is public to my friends but don't think it is to all. AND I put absolutely every thing that I eat on my diary (my daughter thinks I'm almost obsessive about it). I will occasionally look at someone's diary to get new eating ideas but have seen a couple of times when I thought someone was a little harsh about someone elses food choices. And while I would love to eat 100% healthy I am smart enough and realistic enough to know I'm not going to change a lifetime of habits overnight...or maybe never. I am still going to have a donut occasionally or a candy bar. That's why I like this plan...I can eat what I want and still lose weight by watching calorie count. I would personally be totally offended if someone commented on my diary without me asking for their advice. I guarantee you that when I have had a bad day or made poor choices I already know it...I don't need someone telling me. Anyway as Bayoubabie98 said...lets get on with helping each other...not trying to control others choices. This site is AWESOME and lets please not ruin it with squabbles or such.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    It's your choice if you want your diary to be private or public. I have to agree with everyone else.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I find this topic VERY interesting because not too long after I joined MFP I got a PM from a random person (never saw them post anything and this person wasn't/isn't on my friends list) who said to me that before I start posting I really should make my diary public so that people can help me and that I shouldn't post at all unless my diary's public. If you look at my posts, none of them ask for help. I'm here for support not for a critique on what I eat. I'm low carbing so that already gets negative comments, I don't need negativity generated from something that really isn't anyones business but my own. And regarding the comment of eating in public - I don't. Ever. I even eat at my desk at work and avoid the lunchroom and all for the same reason as why my diary is private - I can do without the criticism.

After that random PM I decided I would NEVER, EVER make my diary public here. EVER.

I also wanted to touch on the comment about profile pics. I don't use my image as a profile pic - I am not a sandwich looking for mayo :) I do take exception to the idea that if something isn't public - pic/diary that we're hiding or lying. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no pictures of myself. I won't allow pics to be taken of me. Why?? I was always told I was too ugly to be in the family pictures and never had my picture taken as a kid. As an adult I still believe that. That's for me to work out in my own time. But you can bet that when/if I do have my pic taken MFP is likely the last place i'll post it. Nobody here needs to see what I look like - this isn't a dating website.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    **STAMPS FOOT**

This thread has had over 1200 views! And very few people have viewed my thread for Pumpkin Pie Muffins. *sniff* Its far more worthy of views! Its a yummy recipe!

Seriously folks, deshaine is on my friends list and as far as she and I go, we are over it and have moved on. Besides, I have a few friends like her in real life.....and we get into verbal battles sometimes....but then they realize I'm right and they bow to me and all is well. JUST KIDDING!

Now yall go look at my pumpkin pie muffin recipe and make some this week. You'll love them! Get crackin! :)
  • olivianjohnsmom
    olivianjohnsmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My food diary is public! if someone wants to read it they can...maybe it will help them of maybe they can help me! we all have the same goal on here! if you want to read it friend me and enjoy!