Very Discouraged and still FAT! ( a Tuesday RANT)

Options
What do you do when it all fails? When you've been at this weight loss thing for years and yet your still right where you started? No I don't have a thyroid problem,I've had that checked... twice. I constantly stay around 1200-1500 depending on the day and I've tried every variation I can think of. Nothing seems to work. I have a busy life just like everyone else and I've done all kinds of different forms of exercise and yet.... I'm still FAT!

Replies

• ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What do you do when it all fails? When you've been at this weight loss thing for years and yet your still right where you started? No I don't have a thyroid problem,I've had that checked... twice. I constantly stay around 1200-1500 depending on the day and I've tried every variation I can think of. Nothing seems to work. I have a busy life just like everyone else and I've done all kinds of different forms of exercise and yet.... I'm still FAT!

I do not have the expertise in this field but I pray someone on this forum does and will have the wisdom and insight to help you meet your goal. One thing I do know, though, is that exercise is more for being fit and healthy than losing weight. In my opinion, you should continue to exercise and be active and not give up. I look forward to hearing what others have to stay. Something I learned a while back is this: Failure is temporary. Giving up is permanent. Don't give up.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself 'qualified' enough to give definite advise, as also everyone is different, but you mustn't give up! There is also so much support on this site. I found that portion control was a big turning point for me..concentrating more on what I was specifically eating and the amounts, using food scales and logging every single thing, its definitely worth it! Related to this also, have you tried testing your tolerance to different food groups? Many people believe this could be a lot rubbish, and that you shouldn't cut out certain groups due to nutrients and body needs etc, so nor am I suggesting you do this. For me however, another big turning point was food tolerance testing with an alternative therapies doctor/dietician. Test showed my body would appreciate less wheat and potato starch, I drastically cut these down and eventually out, and the weight has fallen off, steadily over 18 months - 2 years.
    There is so much to try before admitting defeat, also regularly changing exercise, dieting with friends to support you and ensuring that you get enough rest and relaxation is all very important. Best of luck :)
    Feel free to add for diary sharing and support :)
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and the links. In 4 years I've not totally given up, only ever temporarily. One thing I'm sure I need to do is weigh my food. Anyone can add me if you like., I can always use the support.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think weighing your food will make a HUGE difference. Seriously.
    Also, have you concentrated on HIIT for cardio *and* heavy weights?
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    Like I said time is always an issue with working out. And I"ve thought and sorta tried the heavy weights. Just can't stick with the weights cause I have no clue how to use them. LOL never tried HIIT tho..
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Are you positive you eat only 1200-1500 a day?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You definitely must weigh and measure your food!!!! Everything you eat!! That's a good place to start!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This book is highly recommended:
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women (I think you can preview the content on Amazon)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Any possibility you could speak with a nutritionist?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You say you temporarily give up. How often do you stick with the weight loss before you give up? Days? Weeks? Months?

If you weigh your food, eat less calories than you burn then you will lose weight. So maybe you're eating more calories than you think if you're not weighing your food. Or maybe you're not burning as many calories as you think you are.

You say you don't have much time to exercise but little things can make a huge difference over time--> taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking your car farther from the door, walking instead of driving (if that's feasible).

Just some suggestions. Good luck!
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    You say you temporarily give up. How often do you stick with the weight loss before you give up? Days? Weeks? Months?

If you weigh your food, eat less calories than you burn then you will lose weight. So maybe you're eating more calories than you think if you're not weighing your food. Or maybe you're not burning as many calories as you think you are.

You say you don't have much time to exercise but little things can make a huge difference over time--> taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking your car farther from the door, walking instead of driving (if that's feasible).

Just some suggestions. Good luck!

Sometimes it's months sometimes its weeks. Depends on how long it takes me to get irritated that I've not lost more then 2 pounds. I have a fitbit and a polar f4 so I do know how much I'm moving or rather NOT moving with my desk job. Thanks everyone for all the help. OH and a nutritionist t is more than likely not going to happen. I have no idea in my area to even look for one. LOL
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Rants Rock! :bigsmile:
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, stick with it, and (as you are doing now) if something isn't working, find out why and fix it. My personal two cents: if you're focusing on weight loss it MUST start in the kitchen. I think it was Bob Harper who coined the phrase "you can't outrun your fork". Exercise is important for staying fit and healthy. What you eat has the most impact on your weight. Start weighing everything (as you said you will do).

Also figure out what your normal base calorie burn is. This is a lot tougher. For me personally, I tracked food & exercise for three months, did the math and found out what my average daily calorie need was. It's a bit long and tedious, but it's the only way to find out your personal calorie needs. Then, find a reasonable deficit and try your best to stick within that limit.

The simple math is calories in - calories out = gain/deficit. There will be lots of folks claiming they are "special snowflakes" and they have this or that condition. So what? It doesn't change the math. My personal snowflake: medication that lowers my metabolism so that I burn slightly less than "average" calories per day. So what? It doesn't change the formula - it just means my "calories out" is lower than an average person my age/weight. By doing the 3 month tracking, I found my personal "calories out" number. I put THAT number in the formula.

Math is math. The formula works. Find your number and make it work for you.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I have a busy life just like everyone else and I've done all kinds of different forms of exercise and yet.... I'm still FAT!

Exercise doesnt equal weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss. All this 'trying' and 'exercising' counts for nothing if you arent actually 'doing'.
  • MamaKahuna143
    MamaKahuna143 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I find I'm on the same side of this boat with you! Today is not a good day since I've also gained weight through the holiday and even increased my food intake for yesterday due to my additional exercise! But, stay on the path to your goal, weigh and log in every morsel and we'll eventually get there! I have found some new metabolism burning recipes and started using which seemed to be working out well for my husband! (he lost thirty pounds in three months with my experiment)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of excuses. Fix those, and I bet you start losing weight.
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    Yeah you're right. Alot of excuses... busy mom of 3 ,that works a full time desk job. I have TONS of excuses, also tons of reasons to lose the weight. Now to find what actually works and that I can find in between work, kids, soccer practices, household duties and life in general. Like I said earlier busy life.
  • supersis
    supersis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try getting a buddy. Just like these boards, having a workout buddy or weight-loss friend can be very supportive and keep you honest. Good luck... totally know da' feeling.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I think I've a feeling where you are coming from - If think you are trying to achieve too many things at the same time without access to correct knowledge or plan.

When you said you weigh your food on scale - are you saying you weigh in grams?

Also If you haven't read these links please, please do me a favor I would truly appreciate if you can read these

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Do keep us posted.