Very Discouraged and still FAT! ( a Tuesday RANT)

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're right. Alot of excuses... busy mom of 3 ,that works a full time desk job. I have TONS of excuses, also tons of reasons to lose the weight. Now to find what actually works and that I can find in between work, kids, soccer practices, household duties and life in general. Like I said earlier busy life.

I understand. But everyone is busy. I work full time, and go to college full time. I still drag myself to the gym. There have been days that I've been gone from my house for over twelve hours, and come home and do my runs under the moonlight. It's a matter of finding balance, and learning that it's okay to take time for yourself. I'm not trying to be mean, but once I let go of my excuses, the rest fell in place. Also, everyone else has good advice here about needing to weigh your food. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, but being strict in your calorie count will matter more if you don't have some of those exercise calories giving you some leeway.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're right. Alot of excuses... busy mom of 3 ,that works a full time desk job. I have TONS of excuses, also tons of reasons to lose the weight. Now to find what actually works and that I can find in between work, kids, soccer practices, household duties and life in general. Like I said earlier busy life.
    I have a 5 year old, I work 2 jobs, and I go to school full time. If you keep making excuses you will keep failing. It's that simple.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You have to account for everything. That little of handful of nuts could be 200 calories. A fun size snickers counts. A half glass of juice counts. Fruit counts. It all adds up. Every single thing you put into your mouth except water needs to be accounted for. Yes, tracking is an absolute pain in the *kitten*, and I despise doing it. But it really lets you know where your problems are. When I don't track, I usually maintain, or may gain a bit, but when I'm tracking religiously and being diligent, the pounds just come off. Case in point, I've been training since December for a May marathon, and running a lot. But I've pretty much stayed at the same weight for most of that time. But April 1, I started tracking again, and in three weeks time, I've dropped 12 lbs. And don't forget it is crucial that you eat back what you exercise. Your calorie goal should be net of any exercise in your day. I actually sometimes workout twice just so I can eat more :) And don't feel bad about days when you go over. Hell I've had days where I didn't workout where I am over by 1,000 calories or more, typically on Fridays or over the weekend. I just make sure that I make up for it with a long run on the weekend or something. Track your food, exercise, don't make excuses. You will succeed, it is a no brainer.
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    Thank you all
  • jbrinda1
    Options
    I have a 5 year old, I work 2 jobs, and I go to school full time. If you keep making excuses you will keep failing. It's that simple.

This. For every excuse, there is someone out there who has it harder and is making time. Excuses are s hit. I could make an excuse every day. And some days, I just plain don't feel like working out. It's uncomfortable to breathe heavily, to be hot, or to be freezing in icy winds and a cold rain running up a steep hill, to keep your heart rate elevated for an hour or two, to go to bed and get a good night's sleep instead of falling asleep on the couch with a plate of cookies. It takes dedication to reach a goal, and if it was easy, everyone would be fit. It's not, it's really f ucking hard. Sh it, I've been craving a beer every damn night for weeks, but I decided that I was going to give that up until May, because being 15 lbs lighter is going to make this marathon a hell of a lot less stressful on my body. There is a reward in being proud of your body, proud of physical accomplishments, personal bests, lower heart rate, lower body fat, a healthier lifestyle. Once you've achieved it, you'll know it was worth it.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Well obviously you're eating more than 1200-1500 calories per day if you're not losing weight. It's very hard to exercise when you have 3 kids. I get up at 5am three times per week to do resistance training. One thing I do during the weekends with my kids is put two of them in the double stroller, walk down the steep hill outside our house, and then push them up it jogging. It's great exercise and the kids think it's fun. A few good runs up the hill while pushing a stroller full of kids will tire you out fast!
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    1. Buy a food scale
    2. Weight and record EVERYTHING
    3. Find the time for some kind of exercise everyday...this will be HARD
    4. Stop making excuses... GEZZ yet again this will be HARD

now to figure out my true calorie needs, and not necessarily what MFP says either.. I do wear a fitbit. Think I'll start there.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
  • jbrinda1
    Options
    1. Buy a food scale

now to figure out my true calorie needs, and not necessarily what MFP says either.. I do wear a fitbit. Think I'll start there.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

3. is not necessary, and is probably unrealistic. Start small. Set a goal to workout maybe once during the week and then on Saturdays and Sundays. Having realistic, achievable goals is important. Anyone can make time to spend an hour on the weekend days doing something physical. And hopefully you can find at least one day during the week when you can squeeze in an hour of activity. Good luck to you!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The only way I get exercise in is if I get up and do them before I start my day. Since that is a sacrifice of sleep I can commit 30 minutes. I chose a 20 minute work out (5 min warm up and 5 min cool down). I use Jillian MIchaels DVD's but there were others. It is truly only 30 minutes since I don't have to leave the house. As a busy mom I find the weekends one of the most difficult times to exercise because I want to sleep in (which is 7:30am, haha) and be lazy in the mornings and once my day gets rolling - very hard to stop and exercise. I usually manage it once and use the other day as a rest day.

That burn makes me feel overall healthier (not while I'm doing it - I actually hate exercise, lol) but in general - which helps with my motivation to calorie count. I really think you'll find your biggest results in weighing and measuring your food though and being extra aware of hidden calories. I can eat 300 calories off my kids' plates (or down the end of their OJ - it is what moms do) when I clear the table or while I'm standing there fixing supper if I don't watch it. I still catch myself especially when I'm going 3 directions at once. Last night the kid didn't want frosting on his cake - I sliced it off and popped it in my mouth without thinking and then I promptly licked the whip cream spoon and THEN did a face palm, lol.
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    The only way I get exercise in is if I get up and do them before I start my day. Since that is a sacrifice of sleep I can commit 30 minutes. I chose a 20 minute work out (5 min warm up and 5 min cool down). I use Jillian MIchaels DVD's but there were others. It is truly only 30 minutes since I don't have to leave the house. As a busy mom I find the weekends one of the most difficult times to exercise because I want to sleep in (which is 7:30am, haha) and be lazy in the mornings and once my day gets rolling - very hard to stop and exercise. I usually manage it once and use the other day as a rest day.

That burn makes me feel overall healthier (not while I'm doing it - I actually hate exercise, lol) but in general - which helps with my motivation to calorie count. I really think you'll find your biggest results in weighing and measuring your food though and being extra aware of hidden calories. I can eat 300 calories off my kids' plates (or down the end of their OJ - it is what moms do) when I clear the table or while I'm standing there fixing supper if I don't watch it. I still catch myself especially when I'm going 3 directions at once. Last night the kid didn't want frosting on his cake - I sliced it off and popped it in my mouth without thinking and then I promptly licked the whip cream spoon and THEN did a face palm, lol.

YES THIS^^^^^^^^^ thank you!
  • Farahdubai
    Farahdubai Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, i think what also makes a major difference is what TYPE of food you're eating. It could be 1000 calories but it may something that bloats you. I am with you on the same boat actually - i have been trying for literally, forever now. i try i lose a little and then fall off because i love food.

But one day, a friend said to me "what can you NOT do for 60-90 days?" if you think about it, thats really nothing., Stick to something long enough and you will see results. I was so fed up with myself that I decided to stick to my program! I am now on my third week and feeling good. Not even looking at the scale to be honest.

Remember its 80% what you eat and 20% workout.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a food scale

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Sounds like a good plan to me.

I get where you're coming from. I'm a full time working (desk job) parent with a very busy lifestyle too. Honestly you just have to fit it in. I meal prep on Sunday nights so I just grab my lunch out of the freezer in teh mornings. I keep oats, yoghurt, nuts, protein powder, protein bars etc at work. As for exercise my week looks like this:

Monday - 30min run at lunch. Lifting at night (arms & chest)
    Tues - 30min run at lunch, Lifting at night (legs)
    Wed - 30min run at lunch
    Thurs - 5am gym circuit. Lifting at night (back & abs)
    Fri - rest or 30min run at lunch
    Sat - 6am bootcamp
    Sun - rest
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    everyone is busy. It's about choices. Being busy does not mean eating unhealthy. You. An just as easily make healthy choices. I'm a busy working mom too, many are. You are making excuses.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a food scale

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
    you don't need to exercise every day. You just need to eat right.
  • Krisunderconstruction
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Yes I've been making poor choices all across the board....excuses, junk and too much food. Time to change that !
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I'm a busy mom of 3 that works full time as a triage nurse doing back to back 12 hour nights. You have to accept that YOU are the only one accountable for your actions or inaction, not the other busy factors in your life. If you don't want it bad enough, the excuses will keep coming.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Tried to view your diary, and it's closed.

In my *humble* opinion, losing weight has more to do with what you put in your body rather than what you do with your body.

I've lost my weight without doing really any sorts of exercises. So, it can be done.

You have to be really diligent about what you're eating, portion control, making sure you log the condiments, making sure you drink enough water, keeping an eye on sodium intake, making sure you get enough fiber, etc.

I've noticed that when I get really lax about the way I'm logging on my food diary, it shows on the scale. So I go back to "counting down to the condiments"....the mountain of ketchup with the fries, the dipping sauce for the chicken nuggets, the ranch dip for the veggies or for the salad, etc. When I log everything down to the condiments, again, it reflects on the scale, only this time in a more positive way.

A lot of people tend to think that the more they workout, the more calories they burn....and justify going to the gym, then getting a dairy queen blizzard. Fact of the matter is, the blizzard actually has more calories than what you just burned off. There's no way to get around that kind of deficit either. You'd have to work out 24 hours straight to "undo" that kind of damage.

Just be mindful (or "be real") when you log your food, and it'll get better.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of excuses. Fix those, and I bet you start losing weight.

+1

Also, to the OP -- how much have you lost? I understand if you are frustrated that you are still above a weight that is considered healthy for your height and so on. But patience is key. I have lost 120 lb total but it started back in 2008...that's a long time, but worth it. Some years I lost like 5-7 lb IN A YEAR...progress is still progress.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of excuses. Fix those, and I bet you start losing weight.
    tell em :drinker: