Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is WEIGHT GAIN caused by genetics or not? **For my Paper**

14567810»

Replies

• Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Agreed. They are used too often. And yes, that is why I use this site. For meticulous tracking. I really am in the "diet or die" life. My symptoms have progressed and do involve all foods.

When we think about MD we all immediately thing of the telethon and children in wheel chairs. Many forms of MD are metabolic. Probably not all of them. If the picture is ok for THIS conversation, then I guess the posting person should also be sending it to all of the crippled children with MD. Maybe a photo of a kid falling out of a wheel chair and flopping on the floor! That is hilarious!

You see- no one would do that. In fact many people who are reading this are probably again, frustrated with me that I can't take a joke. Would you joke about gong dancing to a child in wheel chair? The thread asked about genetics and weight. Obviously, I would know a lot about the topic. It was asked, and I answered.

By the way, I may need a liver transplant….would the person who posted the picture mind getting tested and giving me theirs if we match ? I would appreciate it. Oh, and I could be in the market for a kidney and a heart if anyone see's one on Craig's List. See, I can joke! I think the person who posted the photo would make a fine organ donor! that would be a worthy contribution to the cause of these diseases rather than the photo. And you thought I could not joke! Of course I can. With the best of them. I was a stand-up comic for 15 years-toured. I could kick verbal butt beyond what any of you could imagine. But i would be kicked off the site for it, no doubt. Just as the use of this photo in this context, should be removed. We will both get kicked off for it no doubt, but if the photo poster wants to take another jab, go ahead. I will be happy to insult you back!

escalated-quickly.jpg
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I don't believe genetics causes weight gain. I believe that genetic differences between two individuals can have one with a higher BMR than the other due to variations in metabolic function but we each reside in our own bodies and if we haven't figured out what portions of food to eat in order to maintain our own weight that is no ones fault but our own. Need to take some responsibility. If you are overweight it is because you put food in your mouth that put you over your maintenance level. Your maintenance level might be slightly lower than the next person due to genetics but its your responsibility to figure that out and adjust accordingly.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    You are not correct. Please take the time to read my posts. thank you.

Why do you keep repeating this.. it's apparent we have read your post.
    I think it's a joke. The account is deactivated now...weird
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    I don't believe genetics causes weight gain. I believe that genetic differences between two individuals can have one with a higher BMR than the other due to variations in metabolic function but we each reside in our own bodies and if we haven't figured out what portions of food to eat in order to maintain our own weight that is no ones fault but our own. Need to take some responsibility. If you are overweight it is because you put food in your mouth that put you over your maintenance level. Your maintenance level might be slightly lower than the next person due to genetics but its your responsibility to figure that out and adjust accordingly.

I agree with that. :)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    MY POST IS VERY LONG- BUT IT IS A MUST READ. YES, THERE ARE GENETIC DISEASES THAT AFFECT THE METABOLISM. PLEASE, ALL OF YOU READ THIS. YES, THERE ARE CONDITIONS THAT LEAD TO WEIGHT GAIN.

I think genetics/medical condition can lead to a lower BMR (calories out), but a calorie surplus will still result in weight gain.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    I think that habits (diet and exercise) and genetics both play a factor and the problem is that a lot of people want to over simplify things in life with simple responses - x causes y, rather than a, b, c, and d all contribute to z, and not to the same degree for each individual.

Both genetic conditions and disabilities can create challenges for individuals, slow down metabolism or make certain types of workouts too difficult. The bottom line is that there are teams of experts that can design plans that include calorie deficits and work out plans for optimal health. It is just the exact plan that needs tweeking to meet individual needs/health issues.

If you find yourself saying "my mother and aunts were all big so there is absolutely nothing I can do" you are just looking for an excuse. Last summer during the olympics there were medal winners with asthma, diabetes, cancer survivors etc. Venus Williams has Sjögren's syndrome and still wins major tennis titles - I think, of this when am about to whine during the last 10 minutes of my spinning class!

OP - This definitely isn't a qeustion with a "yes' or 'no" answer but certainly fodder for debate.