Nervous for my first 10k in over a year

Options

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    There is a cognitive disconnect between failing to train for a race distance then thinking you should run a pace that is a top ten female finisher in many 10k races. Either train appropriately or set realistic goals based on what you've done.

Oh boy! At this race 43 would place me around 40th female. Like I said, I'm not looking to break any records. I know I won't be top 10! Maybe one day :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    God lady!

Manage your expectations! ;)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There is a cognitive disconnect between failing to train for a race distance then thinking you should run a pace that is a top ten female finisher in many 10k races. Either train appropriately or set realistic goals based on what you've done.

Oh boy! At this race 43 would place me around 40th female. Like I said, I'm not looking to break any records. I know I won't be top 10! Maybe one day :)

One day is a pipe dream if you don't train for it. It is that simple.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options

^^ This! If you haven't trained properly for a race then you can't realistically expect to be able to do much about it in time for this Saturday! Do what you can during the race, enjoy it and don't beat yourself up if you don't get the time you want (I would LOVE to get under an hour let alone under 45 minutes!!!!). Next time, make sure you put the effort into your training several weeks or months in advance!
  • vmclach
    Options

One day is a pipe dream if you don't train for it. It is that simple.

So true! Do you think you could help me with my sub 38 10k training plan?
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What's this about qualifying for boston...???
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

^that.

Good lord, a 43 minute 10K is a sub-7 minute mile. In the 10K that I did on Saturday, out of 310 people (193 of whom were female), only 23 finished in under 44 minutes - including just ONE female. There were 67 who finished in under 50 minutes - including 16 females. Only 50 women finished in under 55 minutes (121 total).

My personal goal is to finish a 10K in under an hour. But I didn't train enough to even get CLOSE to that goal for Saturday's race, and I sure as hell didn't try for it - I would have injured myself.

If you can barely speak after the first two miles of a 10K, you will NOT finish (or at least, you'll finish by walking). You need to slow the f--- down. You should be able to carry on a conversation for the entire run.
  • vmclach
    Options
    If you can barely speak after the first two miles of a 10K, you will NOT finish (or at least, you'll finish by walking). You need to slow the f--- down. You should be able to carry on a conversation for the entire run.

I know. It's a crazy. I've never not finished. I know I can achieve a finish. I'm just nervous about my time goal!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Perhaps people might wanna gander at OP's profile.

Just start running and hang on. You can hold a 6:55 for 6.2 miles.
  • vmclach
    Options

26.2 is a far cry from 6.2!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

The issue here isn't fitness. It's strategy. She probably starts too fast given that she's out with the lead females and finishes behind them but, essentially, running her butt off is what needs to happen here.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I'm a little confused, because you're kind of all over the place with your expectations. In this thread you're talking about getting winded after 2 miles. In another thread about running a 100 mile ultra you're talking about all the marathons you've run, want to PR and BQ at your next two races and then maybe throw on the 100 miler for good measure.

Each race distance requires a different strategy. There's a reason why people don't run 5ks like half marathons or half marathons like marathons or marathons like 100 milers. Your body behaves differently at different distances.

I'm not entirely sure where these time goals are derived from. Did you just pluck a number out of a list of race results that looked good? I'm getting the idea that you've recently (in the last couple of years) maybe discovered running and have become a running enthusiast with traces of an addictive personality? Or perhaps you're a real optimist? I'm not saying your goals aren't achievable, but running blindly at a distance you've not trained or run before and hoping to hit what most would consider an elite time goal seems, forgive me, a bit naïve.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Perhaps people might wanna gander at OP's profile.

Just start running and hang on. You can hold a 6:55 for 6.2 miles.

Oh - she posted her times in the troll thread from yesterday - shes fast!
  • likitisplit
    Options

I'm a little confused, because you're kind of all over the place with your expectations. In this thread you're talking about getting winded after 2 miles. In another thread about running a 100 mile ultra you're talking about all the marathons you've run, want to PR and BQ at your next two races and then maybe throw on the 100 miler for good measure.

Each race distance requires a different strategy. There's a reason why people don't run 5ks like half marathons or half marathons like marathons or marathons like 100 milers. Your body behaves differently at different distances.

I'm not entirely sure where these time goals are derived from. Did you just pluck a number out of a list of race results that looked good? I'm getting the idea that you've recently (in the last couple of years) maybe discovered running and have become a running enthusiast with traces of an addictive personality? Or perhaps you're a real optimist? I'm not saying your goals aren't achievable, but running blindly at a distance you've not trained or run before and hoping to hit what most would consider an elite time goal seems, forgive me, a bit naïve.

She hasn't run 10k in a year. She starts with the lead females and then has them all pass her in mile 2 when she gets winded and starts slowing down. She needs help with race strategy because her distance is the marathon and she struggles with a 10k.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

She hasn't run 10k in a year. She starts with the lead females and then has them all pass her in mile 2 when she gets winded and starts slowing down. She needs help with race strategy because her distance is the marathon and she struggles with a 10k.

And I would think a sub-43 10k should be a reasonable goal for a female with a sub-20 5k?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If the OP actually trained as claimed in her blog then a sub 43 minute 10k would be no problem.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

And I would think a sub-43 10k should be a reasonable goal for a female with a sub-20 5k?

Forgive me, I haven't had the benefit of looking at her profile as it's not viewable to people who aren't friends with the OP, so I don't know what her race times are.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If the OP actually trained as claimed in her blog then a sub 43 minute 10k would be no problem.

Except for strategy

Today is a good day to die!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Forgive me, I haven't had the benefit of looking at her profile as it's not viewable to people who aren't friends with the OP, so I don't know what her race times are.

Yeah. Her post was confusing for this forum.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for advice from experienced runners on how to run a 10k. I am nervous. I always get really tired around mile 2-3. Sometimes I feel like I have trouble breathing & my legs get REALLY heavy. I get soooo out of tired. My legs and lungs hurt so bad! I always feel like I want to quit every time I run.. I ALwAYS get passed by a lot of people at the end of races.

HELP

PS- not trying to break any records. I'd be happy with ~43 min
    a 10k in 43 min??? That would be about a 7 min mile, which is fast if you aren't an experienced runner. Have you been training for this race?
This discussion has been closed.