Nervous for my first 10k in over a year

Options

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you are near BQ pace for a marathon then 43 seems much less crazy, but still aggressive. Sites like McMillan seem to predict closer to 46. I think you probably would have had to train more for it not to be quite an effort to get to 43.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This was fairly entertaining.

I was going to ask if someoen hacked your account ;)
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Good luck! A year seems kind of far. You do not need to train that long for a 10K. Usually the training program is around 10 weeks. And the 10K is 6.2 miles, so usually you run every other day. Some days you might run 6 miles, another day 5 miles, another day a short 2 miles, and then 3 miles another day. Or its up to you on what you want to do.

Are there not a lot of 10K's in your area? I'm hoping to do a half marathon in September. That is 12-16 weeks of training.

I'd like to do a 10K this summer as well!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So I'm guessing by 'not trained', you mean you haven't done 10k-focused training? Not a lot of mile repeats and such?

In that case, let the bunnies go, you're not going to keep up with them anyway, and as someone else said, try to pick up the pace with each mile for a negative split.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for advice from experienced runners on how to run a 10k. I am nervous. I always get really tired around mile 2-3. Sometimes I feel like I have trouble breathing & my legs get REALLY heavy. I get soooo out of tired. My legs and lungs hurt so bad! I always feel like I want to quit every time I run.. I ALwAYS get passed by a lot of people at the end of races.

HELP

PS- not trying to break any records. I'd be happy with ~43 min
    a 10k in 43 min??? That would be about a 7 min mile, which is fast if you aren't an experienced runner. Have you been training for this race?

I have not been training for this race, no. It's just one I decided to go "wing it"
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Trolling--I think she read that "I am running a marathon" thread from yesterday and got inspired :drinker:
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    If you plan accordingly, there’s no reason to be nervous. “If you fail to plan, you’re planning to fail!” Just get on a good routine and stick to it. Just believe in yourself and your preparation and you’ll do fine.

1. Get on a training plan:
    a. http://www.runnersworld.com/training/10k-training-plans
    2. Eat right: Carb loading and eating intake days prior to a race.
    a. http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/fill-er?cm_mmc=NL-Nutrition-_-1538548-_-12262013-_-How-to-Carbo-Load

V/r,
    DW
  • vmclach
    Options
    If you are near BQ pace for a marathon then 43 seems much less crazy, but still aggressive. Sites like McMillan seem to predict closer to 46. I think you probably would have had to train more for it not to be quite an effort to get to 43.

Mcmillian says 42:00 for me. My fiancé tells me I should *easily* be able to run sub 41 :'( expectations are high!
  • TAsunder
    Options

Mcmillian says 42:00 for me. My fiancé tells me I should *easily* be able to run sub 41 :'( expectations are high!

Hmmm! Are you actually already below BQ pace then? Seems so :)
  • vmclach
    Options

Hmmm! Are you actually already below BQ pace then? Seems so :)

For a marathon? Yes. This is a 10k thread!
  • La_Mema
    La_Mema Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My advice: Just get out there and run your at your pace, and you will do just fine. Call me crazy (because my sister and husband did), but I ran a half-marathon a few weeks ago after not being able to barely walk or jog for two months - I just put on my sneakers, and jogged like it was no one's business - made it to the finish line with tears in my eyes because I wasn't last!!

You will do just fine. One thing that helps me while running: Breath through your nose. It takes patience and time to learn how to do, but I learned that when you can control your breathing through, it helps the body with your fight/flight response (the harder your breath through your mouth, your body reacts and starts pumping blood at an enormous rate causing you to get tired). When you can control that function while breathing through your nose, the body remains calm, and you will feel less tired.

I hope this helps some. Good luck and you will do just fine!! And finally, if you're aiming to finish in 43m, you rock!!
  • TAsunder
    Options
    Trolling--I think she read that "I am running a marathon" thread from yesterday and got inspired :drinker:

I now must agree based on this latest information.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    What's this about qualifying for boston...???

Perhaps people might wanna gander at OP's profile.

Just start running and hang on. You can hold a 6:55 for 6.2 miles.

Um, we can't. Private profile
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

She actually contributed to yesterday's "I am running a marathon" thread and can run a Boston qualifyng marathon, so I am guessing this is about racing strategy as opposed to a training issue. Or trolling. I don't know, I'm a little confused.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is funny :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here since my first 10k in over a year will likely be somewhere in the 55-60 min range, but I'll offer my 2 cents. Take the pressure off. Don't worry about it. Just go out and run and see what time you get. You may surprise yourself. Or you'll know where you are at in relation to your goal. Find another 10k in 6 weeks and do some specific training for it, you know, only if you can spare 6 weeks in your schedule of running marathons and 100 milers. ;-) You are fast!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you can barely speak after the first two miles of a 10K, you will NOT finish (or at least, you'll finish by walking). You need to slow the f--- down. You should be able to carry on a conversation for the entire run.

That's for training, not for racing! If you can talk during a short race (less than an hour), you're probably doing wrong.

My 5K strategy is to breathe so hard that the people in front of me stop to see if I'm OK.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

It had the potential to be, but no it wasn't really funny. The idea was there but the delivery didn't really nail it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

It had the potential to be, but no it wasn't really funny. The idea was there but the delivery didn't really nail it.

Timing is everything. "running a marathon" thread was yesterday, that was the time to strike. as i did.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Truth.

It would seem that OP's attempt at cleverness has shown a distinct lack thereof.
This discussion has been closed.