I am so not prepared for this...oh boy! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I rejoined three days ago and so far it has come to my attention that I need to do a serious overhaul of my house, kitchen and basically my entire fridge! I'm STARVING!!!!! I have no food to eat...everything I do have is craaaaaaap!!!! :noway:

I have sworn off anything that grew in a cardboard box. What are you supposed to make with a bowl of left over spaghetti and a bottle of mustard? :sad:

Anyway, I have a question. Do you all stick with basic virgin olive oil or do you use something different now...I heard grapeseed oil was a good thing to have in the cupboard. Since I am going to have to restock everything...what are your 'must-haves'! :huh:

Oh I must apologize in advance...I am a confirmed smiliey fiend. Can't help it. Sorry! :blushing:

I use all manner of oils...none of them are inherently bad or evil save for partially hydrogenated oils. My use of oil is primarily based on the application. I would say that my mainstay cooking oil is olive oil as I generally like my veggies sauteed...but I use butter where butter is applicable and coconut oil as well for many applications. I also use lard from bacon drippings on occasion and I generally use conola oil for high heat applications (if I can't find avocado oil).

I would also suggest doing a bit of research on proper nutrition rather than just categorizing foods as "good" or "bad"...people go over bored on trying to eliminate things without understanding that some of what they are eliminating is actually beneficial to you and necessary for proper nutrition...dietary fat comes to mind.

I personally eat a lot of nutrient dense whole foods and cook primarily with scratch ingredients...I also enjoy pasta and rice and white potatoes (gasp) and the like. I try to stay away from pre-packaged meals in a box and the like, but I'm not shy about eating minimally processed foods...i'm not going to always make my own marinara sauce and while I generally make beans from scratch, I always have cans of the stuff around as well...stuff like that.

Really, none of this is or has to be as painful as people make it out to be...getting your nutrition on doesn't mean your food has to be bland and boring...I'm a foodie that managed to lose 40 lbs pretty easily...bland and boring are not in my food vocabulary.
  • kaitthegr8t
    kaitthegr8t Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil spray for stove top cooking, and olive oil for baking veggies etc. When I bake I use applesauce if I can. Pinterest has been a huge help to guide me through clean eating. It has many info. graphics, meal plans, recipes, substitutions..

I have found that changing a few things at a time has helped me stay on track better than the times I would overhaul my life and change everything at once. I know it sounds totally cliche, but you have to adapt the mentality that you are changing your whole lifestyle and not just your diet.

Small changes make for big results, best of luck to you on your journey!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    im talking about my high fat extra creamy alfredo sauces that I put on EVERYTHING! For awhile I am going to let them go...maybe at some point I can treat myself...but for now I've been treating myself a little too much lately :blushing:

Some of the premade sauces from the grocery store aren't too bad calorie-wise. I also like to make a red marinara or even buy the jars of it and mix in some plain greek yogurt with it. Makes the sauce go a little further, makes it a little creamier and adds in a good balance of macros.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I/we use oil’s based on what we are doing with it, EVOO has a richer flavor but canola oil is better suited for cooking as it can be heated to higher temps. The fat’s are essential to a good diet so don’t cut them out.
    Just get on a good plan and try and keep to it. Like others have said eat what you have until you get to the store and get healthy choice in the house.
    My advice is find a good support group that will hold you accountable to your proper eating and exercising, as well, hold yourself accountable. Reward yourself when you do good and acknowledge when you fail but don’t dwell on your failures. Ack them and move on, just ID and triggers that may have caused your failure and be on the lookout for them in the future.
    Good luck, you’ll do great!
    V/r,
    DW.