What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• DollyPat123
    DollyPat123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    my why is i cant breath at this weight i also want to be healthy to see my kids get married and my grandchilderen and im sick and tired of being heavy and sick and low self esteem
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    @lsgibbs83‌ way to go! I knew you could do it!
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i'm not "overweight" so that often makes it easier to rationalize that i don't need to make changes. sure, i'd love to be thinner, more toned, or show up an ex some day. but at the core, i've watched my parents as they are getting older and i know that i want to be like my dad and stay active and reasonably healthy. my mom was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes before she was 40, and though i'm not sure she's technically overweight, her body shape suggests she's not very healthy. from what i've seen, she hasn't done a very good job of following her doctor's recommendations for diet and exercise and it shows in ways like she can't do a lot of walking without getting tired or i suspect she's experiencing nerve damage to her feet that make her more susceptible to tripping and falling and actually injuring herself. the latest straw is i just found out she's been diagnosed with CKD and i REALLY don't want to let my complacency send me down that road one day. but being told by friends and family that i "look fine" or don't need to lose weight, so why am i worried about it isn't helping. i am looking past the "now" to the "long term" and i want to be and STAY healthy (and hopefully also look hot)
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I recently quit smoking (it's already been 2 months!!) I can finally breathe better, now i can actually work out without gasping for air. I want to feel better, I dont want to avoid looking at myself in the mirror or hide when someone takes a picture of me. I want this for me. My willpower is strong, I have never gone this long without a cigarette and if i have the will power to stay away from it than I have the will power to persue a healthy lifestyle. So my "why" is overall health :)
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    @aam117‌ It's hard when your friends state that you look fine or you are not overweight, so don't worry about it. Even my wife said that to me once. But like you said, it is not about the now, it is about tomorrow. I know I have a family history of diabetes. My uncle was just diagnosed a few years ago, and to look at him, he is not overweight. In fact, he has had physically demanding jobs all of his life, so it just happens. In the later years he didn't exercise like he did when he was younger, and probably didn't watch what he ate much, but now he does. If I can do my part to stay ahead of the disease, then I am good. I just had my blood work done a couple of weeks ago and all came back normal, with the exception of my cholesterol. it came back a little higher, but that still could have been the result of what I ate the day before, even though I fasted for 12 hours prior. Your doing the right thing. keep it going!

@aquamarina_182‌ congrats on quitting smoking. I quit just over 4 years ago and have had no desire to go back. I quit cold turkey. I got tired of hacking every morning noon and night, and knew it was time for a change. You can do it!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    We're closing in on the end of March. How is everyone doing with the goals? How many are staying true to their reason why they are making the change?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Do you have a different why for different goals in your life? Please share.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

My WHY is to get healthy. I'm a type two diabetic. I was diagnosed in August 08. I've struggled over the following years to maintain a healthy sugar level. I'm seeing success now why is fueling my Why and making me more determined to win. I've lost several pounds and my fasting sugar is down from the 120's to the upper 70's / low 80's.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    That's great. Stay at it and you will do great. You probably read my story, so you know I have a family history of diabetes and lost my mom 1 1/2 years ago. That is why I push everyday.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Serious reason: my mom died. Diabetes-related stroke. I don't want to follow her. My cholesterol, blood pressure, and insulin numbers aren't great, so I need to work on my health if I want to live a long life.

Less-serious reason, but still a legit reason: My favorite Pixies sweatshirt is starting to get too small. I love it more than any article of clothing I've ever owned and I refuse to stop wearing it. Must lose weight for the hoodie.

ashleyisgreat
    ^ 619 posts, picture eating cotton candy.. and 0 weight lost

Just the example I was looking for: Desire to lose weight alone does not help. You have to DO something.

• VioletWhiteLotus
    VioletWhiteLotus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mud Runs
    Cosplay
    Look Better
    Live longer - cause life is fun
    To run a race and not feel like death at the end
    jumping jacks without the jiggle
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I love mud runs. I need to do more of them.
  • rorysmommy
    rorysmommy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This makes total sense! I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago, why? because I promised my 5 year old daughter that I would quit when she was done with chemo. THAT was a good enough "why" for me. Now I need to really find one for weight loss. I've been struggling a lot with trying to stay on track. I'll do good for a couple months then stop. My "why" isn't good enough. Time to find my "why"!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    @rorysmommy It will come to you. When you can think of something that has a strong emotional attachment, then that is probably your why.
  • shauna913
    shauna913 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What is my why?

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I realized that I haven't been living, just existing. I just recently turned 40 and I feel like I am 60. I want to stop just going through the motions and start taking charge of things in my life. I live in defeat and I finally realized that the person I've become isn't the Real me. I can do anything if I really want too. No more excuses! Its time to start living and I am excited about the road ahead!!!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    @shauna913 good for you. Become your own superhero and take control of yourlife. You got this!
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    healthier, look and feel good.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    @cdcruizer05 , that's a good start, but expand on that. Everyone wants to be healthier, look and feel good. But WHY do you want to be healthier, look and feel good?
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Where clothes and have them fit without searching for XXL
    Self Confidence
    Find Love
    Avoid Diabetes 2 and all the other medical issues that come with obesity
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    All great reason's to continue the healthy journey.