What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nothing like shoveling a foot of snow to get the blood flowing in the morning!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I think it might be time to re-kindle this fire! Who has a good reason WHY they want to be healthier? You gotta go a little deeper than look good in a bikini or to have great sex!

dns70pyqazo4.jpg
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have had three right knee replacements in a three year time frame. Eventually will need my left knee replaced but want to put it off for as long as possible, lots of other health issues and want to improve my health as much as possible. I was always the fat friend growing up as well. Addicted to sugar that is slowly changing am healthier then I was 8 years ago. Have always had a struggle with my weight but never ever ever want to weigh 290 pounds ever again. The only way to accomplish that is to eat healthy watch my carbs and continue to work out at my gym
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Have had three right knee replacements in a three year time frame. Eventually will need my left knee replaced but want to put it off for as long as possible, lots of other health issues and want to improve my health as much as possible. I was always the fat friend growing up as well. Addicted to sugar that is slowly changing am healthier then I was 8 years ago. Have always had a struggle with my weight but never ever ever want to weigh 290 pounds ever again. The only way to accomplish that is to eat healthy watch my carbs and continue to work out at my gym

Keep working at it. You will get there. every day you get closer to your goals. Just stay consistent and positive.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was in the doctors office last week for the first time in a year. As I was sitting in the waiting room, because I am a people watcher, I started to notice how many of the people who were coming in were terribly overweight. Many were on oxygen and/or using canes or limping from the heavy weight they were carrying, others struggled to rise from their chairs when their names were called. My thoughts went to myself just a year ago, when I too carried 45 pounds more than I do now, and how I could be just like that.

I am not perfect, I still have more to lose and I struggle with it every day, but I keep pushing forward. My why is health, my why is I don't want my brothers and friends to struggle to carry a "fat coffin" at my funeral, my why is because I love myself enough to try every day, even when I fail!

One day at a time, one meal at a time, one less indulgence at a time has kept me on track. Because I learn from my mistakes and I grow from it without giving up. They aren't failures, they are lessons in how not to succeed, learn from them and move on.

I can move, I can rise from the chair without pain, I can walk. I take tiny steps towards huge goals, because one step is the beginning of a long journey and I want to see myself at the crossroads of One-derland and my Ultimate Weight goals.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    WHY
    1) I want to see my grandchildren grow up and have children.
    2) I want to savor food without feeling guilty about every morsel I put in my mouth.
    3) I want to be able to look at myself, my whole self, in the mirror and meet my own gaze.
    4) I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again.
    5) I want to fly in an airplane and not worry about my thighs infringing on the passenger next to me.
    6) I want to fuel my body so I am as energetic as possible.
    7) I want to experience optimal health.
    8) I want to be healthy enough to take care of other loved ones if they are failing.

Thank you @MikePXstream for this post.
  • jessicaallen1996
    jessicaallen1996 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My why is wanting a family of my own. That is a husband and babies. I know I could have them at the weight I'm at but I wouldn't be health or happy. I just imagined my future hubby with our baby , and it was so motivational!
  • LeahP527
    LeahP527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1. I want to go on a bluff hike! I want to become more active and not just sit around!
    2. I want kids someday and I know that will be more difficult at my weight.
    3. I just want to feel good!
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have many whys, but I don't think any of them are big enough. The things that tempt me or throw me off track are short term gratification, so the rewards might need to be immediate as well.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    In other words, I don't want to get diabetes, but one walk won't be enough to stop it, which might be what is required of you in that day. Getting to walk with a friend, or having delicious lunch at the end of it might motivate me though.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing. This is the first step towards going in the right direction. I know for some it is just words, but when you take the time to think about it, feel it, and understand it, then it becomes that much more real. Now, it's time to take action. Join a 14 or 30 day accountability and support group. Doesn't matter what kind. Nutrition, exercise, both. Commit to it for that time, track all that you do and all that you eat, and take it one day at a time.

I have a different support group every month. Some carry over from the previous month, others are brand new. These help me stay accountable, track what I am doing, and maintain my goals. But, you have to take action.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Hey! How was your weekend? What fun and exciting things did you do? The family and I ran the Run for Refugees 5k on Saturday. My son set a new PR for himself. I definitely can't keep up with him anymore. 2 miles in he left me behind. I hope you all have a great week.
  • _treehugger74
    _treehugger74 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My why ... well, there are the sensible reasons like I'm not getting any younger and health is starting to be a serious issue with cholesterol and diabetes. I really should be more concerned with those reasons, however, the real reason is I'm tired of feeling bad about myself. I'm tired of worrying about if I will fit in a seat when I go to a game, fly, restaurant, etc. I'm tired of worrying if I will be the largest person at a party. I'm tired of worrying that everyone is judging me for my size. I'm just tired of it all and need to change it once and for all.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My why ... well, there are the sensible reasons like I'm not getting any younger and health is starting to be a serious issue with cholesterol and diabetes. I really should be more concerned with those reasons, however, the real reason is I'm tired of feeling bad about myself. I'm tired of worrying about if I will fit in a seat when I go to a game, fly, restaurant, etc. I'm tired of worrying if I will be the largest person at a party. I'm tired of worrying that everyone is judging me for my size. I'm just tired of it all and need to change it once and for all.

You got this. That is an excellent reason why. Now, take ACTION! The only way you will fulfill your why is by taking the steps necessary to do so. If I can support you in anyway, please let me know.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    What have you done that you thought you would never accomplish? Why do you think you accomplished that? Chances are, you were willing to be slightly unreasonable to accomplish that task. You raised the bar and held yourself to a higher standard.

This is something I still struggle with to this day. Which is odd, because some of the things I wanted most, I did whatever it took to get there. When I joined the Army, I had several goals I wanted to accomplish during my 4 year enlistment. I wanted a leather jacket with patches sewn on it, (might have been some Top Gun movie influence there, I wanted a career field that would benefit me in the future when I was older, and I wanted to achieve the rank of Sergeant before my enlistment was over.

Well, I did all of that, and in less time than I expected. Why, because I put my mind to it. Your health and fitness goals are just as easy to achieve, you just have to put your mind to it, discipline yourself to make the adjustments that align with your goals, and go for it. Don't let anyone else dictate what you want or need. Take charge. I promise you, the instant you make that decision, you will start to achieve what you are aiming for.

h47v99jldpiv.jpg
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Happy Monday! Very short weekend for me. I hope my boss doesn't ask me to cover another weekend shift. At least I will get this friday off, so 3 day weekend, here I come.

How was your weekend? What did you do for fun?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    WHY? Why do you exercise 5-6 days a week? Why do you eat a little healthier than you did yesterday? Why do you want to feel comfortable in you skin? Why do you want to lose weight? Why do you want to lift more, run faster, jump higher, jump further? These are just some of the questions you should be asking yourself daily. Then, once you have done that and answered it, ask yourself why again. The only way you will feel motivated and inspired to push yourself, is if you truly know why you are fighting for it.

So, what is your WHY?

Go!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Getting caught up on American Ninja Warrior episodes and I just watched one of my favorite ninjas Jessie Graff make ANW history. It got me thinking too.

Many times I have heard women say they don't want to lift heavy weights because they don't want to get all big and bulky life the She Hulk . Truth be told, it's not going to happen. Yes, there are women out there that want to, and that's ok. But if you are wanting to become strong and fit, you can still remain lean.

Jessie, at only 5'8", which is tall for most women, is a lean power house. I can honestly say, she is stronger than me by a long shot. Dont be afraid to lift heavier weights.

Check out this video of her being the first woman to finish stage 1 of the American Ninja Warrior finals obstacle course. Truly inspirational for all athletes.

https://youtu.be/Weg-cnecgH4
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Hey everyone. It is a new month. If you had a hard time last month, like I did, time to dust yourself off, re-evaluate your goals, determine "WHY" you want to be healthier and more fit, and go for it. Use your calendar on the wall or on your phone to schedule your workouts like appointments, throw all the junk food out, and check in with me or someone daily for accountability. We can do this!

Who has their plan set already for the month?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My why is simple: abject fear. My father's family is plagued with diabetes, heart disease, cancer, you name it. My mom's side is physically healthier, but mentally messed up. I inherited the worst of both worlds, and I've seen my future if I follow in the footprints of my family. (My mother, too, has made many positive changes, for the exact same reasons.)

I've planned out all my meals for the week, and I've squeezed in one (of three) weekly runs this morning. Let's do this.