Can a female get bigger muscles without supplements?

2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes. What they said. You have to eat a lot (including protein). Gain weight (fat will be gained as well as muscle). And work hard with strength training.
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    correct me if i'm wrong, but even steroids wont work if you don't put the time in at the gym

You are correct. Anabolic steroids change muscle mass and strength in two ways. First, the steroids lead to an increased production of proteins, which are what your muscles are made out of. The steroids also block the effect of cortisol on muscle tissue, so that existing muscle is broken down more slowly.

But if you don't provide the stimulus that causes the muscle growth, namely stress on the muscle while it strains to lift a weight or do other work, you're not likely to see much of anything happen to your muscles.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    You both are correct lol! One cannot increase strength without muscle growth, and increased time under tension builds muscle also.

um- you can absolutely get stronger without getting bigger in size. You may have more densely packed muscle (typical)- but that doesn't mean size growth and strength go hand in hand. We cover time and time again- out side of newbs- or returning sebatacle vetrans- you must eat at a surplus to put on appreciable size- especially as a woman.

i'd have to go with Jo on this one.

i'd even say it could be possible to lift more weight with less muslce mass if training/eating a certain way
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Well - to be fair- it's a wide misconception that the use of gear will suddenly make you hoooouge.

But most people who use it- they still work harder than most people in the gym. It's not a cure all magic fix- you still need to bust your *kitten* to get good results.

That being said- OP

Starting Strength
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    Strong Curves

these are great places to start for barbell work and compound lifting.
    You both are correct lol! One cannot increase strength without muscle growth, and increased time under tension builds muscle also.

um- you can absolutely get stronger without getting bigger in size. You may have more densely packed muscle (typical)- but that doesn't mean size growth and strength go hand in hand. We cover time and time again- out side of newbs- or returning sebatacle vetrans- you must eat at a surplus to put on appreciable size- especially as a woman.

I stand corrected, as many non muscle strenght gains can come from muscle fiber recruitment and synchronization, glycogen stores, CNS related factors etc. I was referring to the strength vs hypertrophy training, and illustrating that both can build muscle and increase strength
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    correct me if i'm wrong, but even steroids wont work if you don't put the time in at the gym

Actually, because most steroids are synthetic derivates of testosterone, even without working out, the anabolic effects will induce muscle gains.

Muscle bulk, yes, but no strength gains.
  • No_Finish_Line

You are correct. Anabolic steroids change muscle mass and strength in two ways. First, the steroids lead to an increased production of proteins, which are what your muscles are made out of. The steroids also block the effect of cortisol on muscle tissue, so that existing muscle is broken down more slowly.

But if you don't provide the stimulus that causes the muscle growth, namely stress on the muscle while it strains to lift a weight or do other work, you're not likely to see much of anything happen to your muscles.

yea i'm pretty sure this is correct.

I also thought that just popping steriods would result in gains out of no where, then i took HS biology.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    you specifically said muscle growth and build.

I was just making it very clear in plain english. density =/= size.

People confuse that constantly. I see no need to not speak up to clarify since it IS a sticking point and often muddy's the water.

You weren't wrong- you were just very unclear.
  • No_Finish_Line

Actually, because most steroids are synthetic derivates of testosterone, even without working out, the anabolic effects will induce muscle gains.

i still don't see hormones automattically producing size in a fully grown individual. or is that why the inject the cows lol., but that could still be more effective at different stages in developement
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    What's best? To get to a low body fat then bulk, or bulk on a normal body fat then lose some of the gained fat?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member

Yes, bulk, not strength
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    [qoute]Can a female get bigger muscles without supplements?[/quote]

EVERYONE CAN GET BIGGER WITHOUT SUPPLEMENTS. The only caveat to that is for true bodybuilders.

I hate seeing so many people turn to adding shakes, and powders, and pills, and drinks, thinking it will make a difference when all they really need is better eating habits.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Professional body builders do lighter weights and many reps to gain bulk. If you want strength, heavier weights and less reps.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    What's best? To get to a low body fat then bulk, or bulk on a normal body fat then lose some of the gained fat?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    I was reading a thread about a female who says she has gained a lot of muscle in a short time. Now I don't believe this is the case, but it made me curious.

I'm a 5'6 female who is naturally strong and with genetics that make me bigger framed and a bit more muscular than the usual person of my age. I'm severely overweight so you can't tell, but a look at my forearm which does not carry a lot of fat should be a good indication.

Anyway. I know that with a drastic amount of weight loss comes the loose skin, and my upper arms look like they will be a problem area. I was wondering if a female can gain a considerable amount of muscle size without resorting to dangerous supplements and hormones. It may be a way for me to "fill up" that skin gap somewhat when I reach my goal weight. Not going for that almost manly body-builder look, just some substance to minimize the problem a bit.

I think I maybe the person you are referring to. I can only go off what my nutritionist said when she weighed me on the bio - scale.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    I go to a huge gym in a major metro city.

There are plenty of women that know how to eat, know how to workout, and have added muscle mass and look great

It can be done

But think in percentages,if you will.

A man looks a bit larger and more muscular quite typically. Women and most often less muscular

So when both add 15% it is a greater and more dramatic amount on the man

Kind of like how men lose weight faster

But you absolutely can add muscle and look great!

Muscle Fitness Women

Check them out. A section geared to the needs of women.