DeadLifts and Sore Back?

Options
13»

Replies

• beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I didn't know we were talking Romanian Deads either.

I do Romanian Deads all the time as a hamstring exercise. I don't start them from the floor, I start from a waist high rack. I lower the bar to about the middle of my shins and I let me knees bend, keeping the bar close to my legs. I exagerate the top part of the lift, tightening the top of the hamstrings and stretching the hip flexors. If I use dumbbells, I'll either start from the rack or a bench. I've never come close to getting a sore back from those but I have found them quite effective for the hams. I do anywhere from 8-15 reps on them. I've never used them for heavy singles. To me Romanian Deads are more of a rhythmic exercise than an explosive one. Just like regular deads, it's important to keep the head up and back straight.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Your sore back doesn't necessarily mean that you have poor form IMO. It really depends on your definition of "sore" ... Sore could be just your muscles being worked or sore could mean you have shooting pains. In the case of shooting pains, you definitely did something wrong and should see a medical professional
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It most likely is...

The best advice I could give you for dead lift form is to check out Elliott Hulse on Youtube, he has a lot of corrective dead lift video's and a four part video series called the science of dead lifting where he goes into great detail about all aspects of the lift.. a must see if you like to dead lift!

I do enjoy it very much! But hearing I could possibly be doing it wrong made me worry I shouldn't do too much. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check him out!

I had the same feeling when someone commented on my form at the gym, but it was an easy fix, I left my ego at the door, lowered my weights till I had my form down right and moved up gradually. Just keep at it it's probably the best exercise out there so it's worth taking the time to do it properly:smile:
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    I didn't know we were talking Romanian Deads either.

I do Romanian Deads all the time as a hamstring exercise. I don't start them from the floor, I start from a waist high rack. I lower the bar to about the middle of my shins and I let me knees bend, keeping the bar close to my legs. I exagerate the top part of the lift, tightening the top of the hamstrings and stretching the hip flexors. If I use dumbbells, I'll either start from the rack or a bench. I've never come close to getting a sore back from those but I have found them quite effective for the hams. I do anywhere from 8-15 reps on them. I've never used them for heavy singles. To me Romanian Deads are more of a rhythmic exercise than an explosive one. Just like regular deads, it's important to keep the head up and back straight.

You are describing exactly how I do mine. I love RDL as a hamstring exercise!
  • trisha986
    Options
    It most likely is...

The best advice I could give you for dead lift form is to check out Elliott Hulse on Youtube, he has a lot of corrective dead lift video's and a four part video series called the science of dead lifting where he goes into great detail about all aspects of the lift.. a must see if you like to dead lift!

I do enjoy it very much! But hearing I could possibly be doing it wrong made me worry I shouldn't do too much. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check him out!

I had the same feeling when someone commented on my form at the gym, but it was an easy fix, I left my ego at the door, lowered my weights till I had my form down right and moved up gradually. Just keep at it it's probably the best exercise out there so it's worth taking the time to do it properly:smile:

Yes I'm very humble when it comes to people correcting my form. I agree its a great exercise, thanks!
  • trisha986
    Options
    Your sore back doesn't necessarily mean that you have poor form IMO. It really depends on your definition of "sore" ... Sore could be just your muscles being worked or sore could mean you have shooting pains. In the case of shooting pains, you definitely did something wrong and should see a medical professional

Definitely not shooting pains. More of a very mild lower back ache. Sounds like based on all these comments that its a normal feeling. I've been doing them with no injuries yet, but I always wondered about the soreness and if I was eventually going to hurt myself. Glad to hear I should be fine. Thank you!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Be sure you're warming up your back, also. I do a few sets of back extensions and several warm-up sets before I do deadlifts with a working weight. That has helped too.

For me, though, form was killer. I had serious low back soreness and discomfort until I did some work on my form.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Your back being sore after you deadlift doesn't mean anything. If your form is good and you're getting stronger without injuring yourself then you're doing it right. Dont' listen to stupid people.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    You could also try Albanian deadlifts instead which are like Romanian deadlifts only with a different accent