So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to tell you just how much it IS worth it. But to me it isn't about being skinny, it's about being fit and being in the best damn shape of my life!!! People who gain the weight back and say they are happier are just making excuses to be fat again. I can say this because I weighed 281 lbs at my heaviest. I know what that's like and wouldn't wish that on anyone. I went from not even being able to barely walk down the driveway to my mailbox, to doing 2 a day workouts running 2.5-6 miles and lifting heavy at the gym, box jumps and all! Anything is impossible when you stop making excuses.
  • jennifer4432
    jennifer4432 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This was the answer one lady gave on a post years ago when I first started on MFP. I saved it, and read it from time to time.
    “ Is being skinny worth all this logging in food and exercise.”
    I loved her response.

I don't necessarily think being skinny is worth it, and that was my goal when I started this endeavor.

I do think that being fit, healthy, confident, strong and more emotionally balanced is definitely worth it.

I believe that being free of the shame and guilt I felt when I would binge and attempt to fix the difficulties in my life by consuming massive amounts of food is worth it.

I believe that the pride and sense of accomplishment, not to mention the endorphin rush, that I get when I accomplish a workout or fitness goal that I never dreamed I would be able to do is worth it.

I believe that my daughter would tell you that having a healthy, active mom who isn't ashamed to attend events and socialize with other parents is worth it.

I believe that being able to do things without worrying about a weight or size limit (horseback riding, amusement park rides, flying on a plane) is worth it.

Would I put forth this much effort simply to be a size that society deems attractive or acceptable? Probably not, but I've learned that there is a lot more to this than a number on a scale or a size on a tag in my jeans.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's not about being skinny. It's about being healthy, fit, and active. You don't have to be a twig to be fit. You can be skinny and unhealthy. Lets know the difference!!!

Simply This
  • TatyanaPassaretti
    Options
    I think there's a bit of give-and-take... my lowest weight (in my adult life anyways) was 125 and although I wasn't able to enjoy food as much I WAS able to enjoy never having to worry about my weight or how I looked in my outfits. Then my schedule changed drastically and I started putting the weight back on but over-eating didn't make me 'feel' good, sure it tasted good and was something I used to relieve stress but at the same time I always woke up feeling ashamed :/ and I can't imagine just letting myself keep going with that...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Been thin before. It was worth it.
    Not for external reasons. I just felt better.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    People often buy into this idea that being thin will solve all your problems. It doesn't. You're the same person when you lose weight just a smaller version. There are pros and cons to being at higher or lower weights!

This exactly.
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    I think a happy-medium is what we all look for... To enjoy life and the foods we love while being healthy and living longer... I for one want to live longer and continue to actively enjoy the outdoors...
    I know from work and being in the retirement villages around here, there are very few people who are heavier then average and rarely do you see any in their 70's or higher... Most in their 80's and 90's tend to be on the thinner side....
    I want to be the 85 year old guy out walking every day and traveling everywhere... :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    People often buy into this idea that being thin will solve all your problems. It doesn't. You're the same person when you lose weight just a smaller version. There are pros and cons to being at higher or lower weights!

yup- thinness does not equal happiness & fatness does not equal unhealthy misery
  • Cukkie13
    Cukkie13 Posts: 22
    Options
    I think it's more about being at your "happy weight" than being "skinny". I'm about 40 lbs heavier than I'd like to be and I'm not very happy with myself because of this extra weight. Being healthy and feeling confident about myself at 135 lbs vs 175 lbs is worth it to me.
  • bonbonjs
    bonbonjs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Being at a point where you are comfortable in your own skin is SO worth it. And my response when hearing people who've lost weight say life's too short to not eat all the naughty stuff... well you can still eat whatever you want and maintain your weight - just don't be a pig! Overeating on junk all the time doesn't exactly make you feel happy ever anyway, does it?? It makes me feel sluggish. And on counting calories... it becomes second nature eventually. Eventually you'll have a rough idea in your head of how much energy is in the food that you're eating.
  • skyfall76
    skyfall76 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Being fit....it is worth it. Personaly I fell more confident and healthier when I'm fit..
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as working towards skinny . . . I'm working towards healthy.

And I think it'll be worth it. I've only lost 12 pounds since I was at my heaviest but I already have noticed a difference in my stamina and physical abilities. I can go up and down the three flights of stairs to my apartments and not get winded. I can take my dogs on long walks and hikes and I love it. In January of last year I started working for a cardiology practice (doing billing) and we have quite a few patients who are seen for issues related to obesity/morbid obesity. I absolutely do not want that to be my future.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If obesity and diabetes is worth it.....or one can always aim for happy middle,fit but with a slight more Bf% ,not skiny but healthy!
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost weight and maintained it for a bit, but then realized he wasn't able to enjoy life as much. He sort of thought "life is too short to be worrying about being thin". He has gained back the weight and now is a jolly, older man with no regrets regarding his lifestyle.

I have such high hopes for how much better I will feel without the extra weight, but is it actually worth it? Does life then become less enjoyable because we're not quite as free-spirited when it comes to eating food?

It depends on how you choose to live: if you think that to enjoy life the only way is to eat whitout limits, IMO, you are doing it wrong. You can enjoy life in a lot of ways. I choose to live in a different way and to use his words 'life is too short to stop every 50 step to regain your breath and not be able to run'
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Men + skinny = no.

Women + skinny = yes.

Well, I wouldn't say 'skinny' for women is a yes, but the healthier looking version is a yes.. As for men, they need muscle on their bones to look decent.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Balance in all things.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone's different. I have crippling social anxiety because of my weight and I want to get rid of it no matter what. I'm afraid to even talk to anyone because I just assume they're harshly judging me. I've never been thin, so this will be new for me.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost weight and maintained it for a bit, but then realized he wasn't able to enjoy life as much. He sort of thought "life is too short to be worrying about being thin". He has gained back the weight and now is a jolly, older man with no regrets regarding his lifestyle.

I have such high hopes for how much better I will feel without the extra weight, but is it actually worth it? Does life then become less enjoyable because we're not quite as free-spirited when it comes to eating food?
    I wouldn't say I'm "skinny," but I'm at my goal weight and I wear size 6-8 jeans (depending on the cut) quite comfortably -- down from squeezing uncomfortably into size 14 jeans a couple years ago. I want to keep improving my fitness level, but don't really care either way if I ever get any smaller. I am much more "free-spirited" with my food now than I was before. Some days I can't believe how much tasty stuff I get to eat. That's because I am now much, much more active than I used to be. I never used to run, hit things, lift heavy stuff, dance with a hula hoop, row in a boat race, or any of the other crazy fun things I get to do now. I never used to think of climbing stairs as fun, let alone running up them. At my favorite sandwich shop, I'm told I'm the only woman who ever orders "double meat" on her sandwich... today I had them add bacon too, and yesterday I had several peanut butter cups for dessert. I still plan my foods -- well, except for my somewhat bingey approach to those peanut butter cups :embarassed: -- but I have tremendous freedom in the selection.

It's nice to look better, no question there. And to be able to wear whatever clothes I like without worrying too much over whether an outfit "hides my flaws" or "skims my curves." It's also nice to feel better, and I do. Not just stronger and more active... I can breathe easier and my joints don't get as achey as they used to all the time. Unexpected little things like riding cross-country in an airplane and having enough room in a coach seat(!!!) make a big difference. Bigger things, like having a surgery go smoothly and recovering quickly, are payback enough for every day of weight loss.

Bottom line: My life is much more enjoyable now than it was before I dropped some weight. Worth it? Oh, hell yeah. :smile:

OP, I wish you success with your goals. :flowerforyou:
    ETA: Your starting weight and goal weight are identical to mine... it took me about 4-6 months to get there. Imagine hitting your goal before the holidays. Oh, hell yeah! :happy:
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    Being skinny isn't my aim. I am not doing this to be skinny, I want some meat on me! Don't want to look ill! Just don't want to look fat either! I am going for the healthy look!
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't believe being slim stops you from enjoying life. If i want something, i sometimes have it even though it comes from a place of boredom but then i workout twice as hard to compensate, it is that simple for me. How many calories a day did your friend want to consume that what he had was not making him happy? I guess as long as you're happy, then people are free to do what they want and no one should judge em for it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!