So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Being not-fat is.

And being not-fat shouldn't take all that much extra effort. Also, I found things to do that I really like: running and calisthenics. At this point, I'd do them even if they made me fat...but they don't.
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight, not to be "skinny" but to be healthy. I personally believe that your body is just a shell. If you arent happy then change who you are not what you look like. Beauty comes in all sizes. To maintain a happy self you need to be right in your heart and in your soul and there is not a weight limit on that. To think you can only have confidence or be happy if you are "lighter" or "skinny" is kind of shallow. Dont worry about the numbers on the scale, worry about how you view life and if you are healthy. Because even someone who is not "skinny" can be happy and healthy at the same time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    To a point, yes and no. I am about 5'3.5" and I've been muscular and 125 lbs (size 2 thin) And able to run 10 miles at a time, I felt invincible. My body at this time was lean and mean, it was a machine! I could go out for a run on a whim, I'd run to the grocery store and back, it was incredible!

Then, life got in the way and I gained about 10-15 lbs, and I was 135 or so for a while. I actually *really* enjoyed being 145 and realized that I do not like being as muscular as I was back when I was heavy lifting at 125 lbs.

I know a lot of people here advocate for heavy lifting, but it's not something I can be into. I don't like having a rock hard body. I like having a bit of a mooshy butt, to be honest.

Well, then work really got in the way of my health goals and I gained a ton of weight and ended up being 172 lbs. That's obese at my height. It was HORRIBLE. I was always out of breath, could barely go up stairs. Every pair of pants I own, I now have a hole in the crotch just from walking in them because my thighs rub together so much. I would literally cry over how fat and miserable I was.

I think finding that "happy place" weight is the best. I know I can be 125 lbs, all muscle, running a bajillion miles at a time, but oddly enough I felt more like "myself" at 135 lbs - I had a bigger, softer butt, bigger boobs and a little extra on my thighs & arms... AND I was still able to run 10 miles and stay in shape. It really all depends on your own personal comfort level!

In my opinion it's just important to be within "normal" weight limits for your height.

I can be 135, but I'm not really happy or have energy until I'm at least 145 and 155-160 looks pretty good on me.

Right now, I'm trying to be 175 with >25% body fat, so we'll see how that goes.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This is something I think about a lot. I think for me, it's all down to maturity and perspective.

I used to be underweight-skinny in my low-mid teens. I did nothing special to become thin back then, I ate like crap but I never put on weight. I started putting on weight at 17 and hit my ''I can't deal with being this big'' weight at 177lb, age 21.

When I was thin and younger, I thought I was huge! I thought I had MASSIVE thighs and a big stomach. I hated my body. Now, at 21, I've lost 20lb and I'm already feeling so much happier about my body. I am nowhere near as slim as I used to be yet I'm LOVING it. I can't wait to lose the final 22 and start maintenance and be a slim person again. This time I'm actually appreciative of my body!

For me, having a thinner face and being able to wear more fitted clothes gives me so much more confidence and happiness in other areas of my life.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As you may tell from my profile pic I am much " thinner" , and I believe it is TOTALLY worth the effort ...which is minimal if I might add, I still have my favorite foods I just make sure I have them on a cheat day or have to fit them into my calorie goals , overall I did this to feel better , I was stuck in a rut of no motivation to carry on daily activities and have three some children I watched suffer along with me , because their mom was emotionally there to play. now I'm onmy feet all day workout at their nap time , but my main goal was to feel stronger, be more motivated and not let life pass me by as a sitting duck. I suppose it is what your true goal is when it comes to weight loss . Maybe your friend was just fine and dandy at his high weight . I must add my confidence is way better now .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I love how the implication is that only fat people can be 'jolly' ..i suppose this is because they do not care and can eat whatever they want? I have lost 60 pounds and still eat whatever I want, just smaller portions of it. IMO, a lot of this comes from the "pain" and/or "restrictive" dieting mentality that certain foods are "bad" and that you have to avoid them like the plague aka sugar, and that working out has to be "painful" so that you can maximize burns and lose as much weight as possible.

As others have said, I am not trying to be skinny. Healthy, athletic, shredded yes, skinny no. And to me the hard work in the gym is worth it and is actually fun. Back in he day, I would come home from work, school, whatever crack a beer and park my *kitten* on the couch and then eat some calorie laden dinner. Now, I come home, hit the weights, eat a sensible dinner, and have some ice cream or something before bed. I much prefer being the later then that the former….
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the friend in the OP's post lost the weight by severe restriction and then never learned to maintain the weight by eating normal foods in moderate amounts.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've never been skinny so I have no idea... but I can tell you that losing over 110 lbs has been a life changer for me. I got my health back, I've got energy to spare (most days) and I got to cut up my Lane Bryant card (WHOOPPEE!!)

I never thought people really perceived you differently when you were overweight, because I've been overweight my entire life. But it's amazing how differently I'm treated now; especially when I walk into a store.

So making the changes I needed to make (portion control, logging, diligent exercising) were completely worth it to me.

And those changes will stay with me for the rest of my life, because I never intend to be 300 lbs again!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Having taken this much weight off I am able to do so many more things and I don't feel like I'm being limited by my body. That's worth it right there. Also, because I'm being active, the only thing that is less than desireable is accounting for all the calories in/out and MFP and a heart rate monitor has really taken the sting out of that.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Life has certain governing principles. One of them is, you reap what you sow. If I don't want to be bothered watching traffic when I cross the road, I will die getting hit by someone.

The same applies to my health. The consequences of being unhealthy typically take longer to catch up to you but they inevitably will. Each of us may choose whichever they want, you need to decide for yourself. Sure, we do all die but there are decades of better living to be realized from maintaining good health.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Being skinny is not my goal...being fit and healthy is my goal.

One of the results of that is being leaner....

Do I continue to enjoy my life like I did before? No...I enjoy it more...
    I wonder if the friend in the OP's post lost the weight by severe restriction and then never learned to maintain the weight by eating normal foods in moderate amounts.

I suspect this is the case...

I have no restrictions on the food I eat just how much and to be frank I don't want as much anymore...I am uncomfortable if I eat too much.
  • cmandd
    cmandd Posts: 8
    Options
    Skinny? No
    Fit, stronger and healthier? Yes
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I've never been skinny so I have no idea... but I can tell you that losing over 110 lbs has been a life changer for me. I got my health back, I've got energy to spare (most days) and I got to cut up my Lane Bryant card (WHOOPPEE!!)

I never thought people really perceived you differently when you were overweight, because I've been overweight my entire life. But it's amazing how differently I'm treated now; especially when I walk into a store. When I was fat people would not smile at me, hold the door, or do the other "common courtesy" gestures for the most part. Now, people hold the door, say excuse me, are generally polite. HUGE difference. I also get service faster in bars.

So making the changes I needed to make (portion control, logging, diligent exercising) were completely worth it to me.

And those changes will stay with me for the rest of my life, because I never intend to be 300 lbs again!

This exactly. However, some days now I probably still eat more than I used to when I was 105+ pounds heavier. But I don't gain weight as I "earn" my calories for running for four hours on a Saturday. I have not sacrificed my life in any way. The only things that have changed are making time for the gym 6 days a week and making healthy substitutions. Some people might eat ice cream every night, i don't anymore. Most nights I skip a snack or have fruit... but when I have ice cream you better believe I'm going to eat enough to be uncomfortable!

The perceptions people now have of me, the way strangers treat me, the way my family and friends treat me has improved. I also am healthy and have so much energy. If I would've kept living my life as I was I wouldn't have been able to go roller skating with my daughter last night, put her on my shoulders as we walk around Disney world, or even run while she rides her bike. missing out on that stuff is not worth the extra weight.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I find my healthy lifestyle invigorating and enjoy eating healthy. Good nutrition and exercise are as good as anti-depressants, something big pharma hardly wants to tell you.

When I eat like crap, I feel like crap. When I eat healthy and exercise, I get a natural boost to my day.

To me, it's not about being thin, it's about quality of life. I've lost a lot of weight, and I feel great about it. Has losing weight solved all of life's problems? No. But I'm more confident in public, feel better, think better, have more energy, and feel more empowered by my decision to pursue a healthy lifestyle over the behaviors that led to my weigh-gain in the first place.

I guess your friend felt differently about it. That's fine too. If he didn't mind packing a few extra pounds, that's great. We need to change our idea about body image so that people who are heavier are just as accepted as those who are thinner. Having unrealistic expectations is bad. Some people feel just fine at a higher weight, that's great for them. But I feel good about my own decision to improve my lifestyle.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I don't like it when people relate overeating to living well. You choose your trappings in some ways...

You can overeat and not worry about what you are eating-- but you are still a slave to food. Or you can work hard and take time to consider how much you eat, lose weight, but still be a slave to worry.

The difference is that, after you do all of the work and then you work to maintain-- it will become natural.. living. Then you get both. Living healthy and carefree.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    to each his own.

i like being thin because my knees don't hurt walking up stairs, because my back doesn't start hurting after 6 hours in bed, because i don't have heart burn ever anymore, because a heart attack at 50 sounds like no fun.

This is why i think we should all concern ourselves with our own goals in life and not concern ourselves with others. good for your friend for wanting to eat whatever and be jolly and all that jazz. he knows what he wants and he knows the pros and cons and accepts them and is living life.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not focused on being skinny, I'm focused on being strong and healthy.

Through watching food intake and lifting heavy I've been able to get off of my hypertension meds. That's huge for me.... I can also keep up with my 5 year old son at the park and take all the shopping bags through the parking lot and up the stairs to our apartment in one go.

Being stronger and healthier is definitely worth it, and the side bennies of looking better and the resulting confidence boost are nice, too.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You have to be doing this fitness thing for the right reason's. Your friend not being able to enjoy life thinner is an excuse to go back to old habits. I'm sorry.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Being skinny, no.
    Being fit and healthy, not a question in my mind it's totally worth it.
    So much of life is easier when you're not hauling around additional fat.

this.

I would never want to "just be skinny" that's not good enough.

Being small isn't any different than being big (just a different stigma).

Being fit- being an athlete- being able to push through things- training. These things matter.
  • kmr0293
    kmr0293 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I get what he is saying.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!