Can we please have a tattoo thread?

Options
Captain_Wobbles
Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
I enjoy getting inked when i have the spare funds. What do your tattoos mean to you? Do you have an interesting story about how you got one? Has weight loss skewed the original design or has it made it look totally bad *kitten*? Share your stories pics are also welcome.:drinker:

Replies

• katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't have a tattoo, but I think I would like to get one when I reach my goal weight :smile:

I have always loved great ink, can't wait to see some pics!
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a few and even after losing 80lbs non of them have changed.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have one on my middle back of a cherry blossom. I'm having it touched up with more color once I reach my goal weight and add another tattoo of three little black birds on shoulder/chest, haven;t decided 100% yet where though.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I'm not called TattooedNici for nothing. :wink:

All of mine are due to the very important events in my life, my heritage, my loved ones that played a crucial part in my life, my favorite animals and my zodiac signs (Wesern/Eastern).
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a band around the top of my left arm. I've had it for over 15 years but got it re-inked about four years ago. It certainly looks less distorted now I've lost a few pounds.
    When I reach my first goal weight I am going to get a tribal-style sea turtle, or perhaps a paw-print... can't decide.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have three tattoos...a band on my arm and then two on my back shoulder blades. The one on my arm and one of the one's on my back aren't that big of a deal to me. But the one on my left blade was drawn for me by someone I was deployed over seas with. He would draw these really pretty tribal angels and I asked him if he could draw me a fairy instead and he did. Turned out amazing!

I am planning on getting a new tat on my calf muscle once I complete my first marathon....an infinity vine with 26.2 inside in black and then for every marathon I complete adding a colored sun flower to it.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have 2 on my right arm and both mean a great deal to me. One was a few years back and of a whale shark which represents my time backpacking through Central America during which I trained up as a divemaster and dived with one of these. The other was last year, and copies a 1773 painting of a eruption of an Ecuadorian volcano. I watched the same volcano erupt last summer and represents my ongoing studies towards becoming a volcanologist. If it works I've posted a pic of the volcano tattoo taken just after completion (you can see the bottom of the whale shark too!).

ATT_1377987054309_image_zps0540758c.jpeg
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have love on my left shoulder, and a original number design on my back, planning a right shoulder running to the rib cage tattoo that will be a memorial type thing with script and either a cherry blossom branch or a string of hearts as a reward for reaching my goals! Hubs is trying to talk me into garter belt tattoos.... Not sure about that! Lol
  • 90to20
    90to20 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    June 10th is my appt.

My right inner/upper arm in small black scripture "In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die,"
    my left inner/upper arm in small black scripture "where you invest your love, you invest your life."

first tattoo ever ahh
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have 2, both on my right arm. When I was 18 (I'm 39 now) I couldn't decide between the Welsh 3 feathers and my football club badge (Cardiff City) so I compromised and got both.

I had thought of getting my children's names inked over the yeas but my tattoo days are well behind me now, although I'd not get rid of my 2 for the world.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    nice! i wouldn't say i have "awesome tattoos " a bunch of extremely generic text, but my 2 favorites do have stories behind them. One of the 2 has sentimental meaning to me and the other is just an interesting story about poor judgement. Sorry it took me so long i had a hard time getting photos that was a workout in itself.

This was my 4th tattoo

gahh_zps4c2c501f.jpg

I was at a bbq with friends when another friend of a friend shows up. I was pretty smashed after a game of edward 40 hands when he brings up the topic of tattoos. He mentions he is a practicing tattoo artist and our mutual friend vouched for him, he tells me that he has his equipment in his car and if i wanted he would ink me for free since i was "a totally cool guy" who am i to say no to free? I whip out a pen and start scribbling on a napkin. I end up drawing some sort of freakish looking dinosaur pirate thing that pretty much looked amazing to me at the time. He gets his stencil paper out and lays it down on my shin. after about 10 minutes i notice something is off, even in my inebriated state. the lines were so scratchy, and for some reason even though he wasnt drinking that night he was unable to follow the lines of the stencil. I manage to ask him how many tattoos has he actually done. He responds "on actual people? you would be the first" i laughed at my stupidity and told him just to stop, i already knew i was in for a hefty bill for a cover up. the next week my tattooist couldnt believe what ive done and told me i would have to wait until it was completely healed before he could do anything since it was almost completely blow out. I ended up deciding on keeping the same design to remind me of that night forever. i left it uncolored for now partially because my artist refuses to do anymore yellow work on my and partially because i enjoy coloring it in when im bored.

my latest one is an ugly duckling

quack_zps2bdd8b0c.jpg

It's needs to be retouched, but for the most part i am still happy with it. I give everything in my soul for my friends, and because of that they started referring to me as their "mama duck" i decided getting a duck tattoo was only fitting so potential suitors for my closest friends know that if they screw up mama duck is gonna handle it.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Slowly getting more and more. I've always loved tattoos and I told myself if I ever get in good enough shape, then my reward will be an awesome chest piece. So I started getting my chest worked on this year. Finally feeling self confident enough for one there. If I could upload better pic I would. Does anyone know how haha?
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to try and put some pics in here of my recent chest progress. I just wanted something totally badass to be honest that represented strength and perseverance. The winged skull can represent conquering death or just life's battles. I've always loved old revolvers and they too represent strength and power while the beauty of the roses counter balance the violence. So i guess you could say it's a tattoo about life.

f485303b-c8d2-4f45-adde-e5ce9767e975.jpg

Needs a lot more work. I've only had a few sessions. I can't wait for it to be finished.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Why didn't anyone else think of a "tattoo thread"? :tongue:

but, as you probably know, people do like to talk about their tattoos.... a lot. so this will be a successful thread.

i have one. will get another.
  • FloyMcCaudie
    FloyMcCaudie Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Pweety please. Can we have tattoo thread :-/
  • virginiabea
    Options
    Let's see...chemical symbols on my left shoulder, organic representation of Phi (ferns, seashell, etc.) on my right, DNA strand around my left forearm, feather on my back, maple leaf (O, CANADA!) on my hip, and staff of Aesculapeus with scenes of nursing care on my right thigh.

Yup, kinda nerdy :D

I can post pics if...someone tells me how to post pics.

And to the fellow a few comments up with the chest piece and sleeve - damn bro. Spectacular colour on the roses.

Edit: as for how they held up during weight loss, pretty dang well, and I'm down a little over 100 pounds.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to try and put some pics in here of my recent chest progress. I just wanted something totally badass to be honest that represented strength and perseverance. The winged skull can represent conquering death or just life's battles. I've always loved old revolvers and they too represent strength and power while the beauty of the roses counter balance the violence. So i guess you could say it's a tattoo about life.

Needs a lot more work. I've only had a few sessions. I can't wait for it to be finished.

Really great artwork! Would love to see the lady on your arm...
  • virginiabea
    Options
    Staff (inked at 180ish pounds)

http://i.imgur.com/fN5bufl.png

Molecules (neurotransmitters)

http://i.imgur.com/4ubCXMn.png

DNA (the blorky colours were a result of taking this hours after it was done, they cleared up)

http://i.imgur.com/5Fvz2y8.jpg

And Phi

http://i.imgur.com/TQVPGGr.jpg
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Really great artwork! Would love to see the lady on your arm...
    Ditto!