Avocados the devil's fruit

Options
13»

Replies

• reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was a product manager for two years, when they get soft but before the skin starts peeling away from the inside, you'll always have perfect ones!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I was told the best way to tell if an avocado was ripe is to hold the body firmly and push gently at the point just below where the fruit was joined to the plant. If it gives it is ripe. Similarly for melon. This time it is to use the thumb and press if it gives it is ripe. I never eat avocados now because they are high in slaicylate, a toxin which does me no good. Melon they are fine
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    avocados-636x423.jpg

lol this is perfect!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The browning is caused by a preserving enzyme found in many fruit called catechol. Exposure to oxygen activates its response and causes the "browning" of apples, potatoes, grapes, avacado, and other fruits in which it naturally occurs.

It can't really be stopped while oxidizing, but you can use methods to slow it. Functioning enzymes work best within a certain range of variables; hydration, pH, and temperatures that are native to the living plant are optimal. Acidity (like from citrus) can help by changing the pH. I used to soak sliced apples in cold water that had 2 crushed vitamin C tablets in it to keep them from browning. Salt helps slow the process, cold temperatures slow the process, and of course wrapping your produce to reduce exposure to oxygen will help, too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: