Tell me it's ok -- Running

Options
If this isn't the right place for this please let me know.

I'm sitting here so angry and frustrated that I don't know what to do. I started running 3 weeks ago. I weighed 268 lbs. That's a lot, yes I know. But I was tired of being weak and lethargic. I got the right shoes, I started with a group that runs for our local running store - i'm doing everything right etc. This is not a post about not being skinny yet I promise. I'm getting stronger. I'm running farther, I've taken two minutes off my miles in 3 weeks it's awesome. I'm proud! But I've gained 3 lbs! I'm SO upset. I'm averaging 1800-1900 calories on the days I don't run and 2200-2300 on the days I do. I'm tracking, I'm measuring and I'm pissed.

If I were smaller I don't think I'd be so mad at a gain but guys - I'm big and this makes me want to cry so hard that I can't see straight. I have PCOS (for those of you who know what this is) and it's already extremely hard to lose weight. I'm not going to stop because I like it and I like the way it makes me feel. I know that my body is retaining fluid from my muscles etc.

I'm just SO sad/mad/frustrated. I'm not even looking to lose weight but gaining? I just want to curl up in a ball.

Tell me it's going to be ok.

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You're fine. Your body is just holding more water to repair your muscles from running. It will go away soon
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Its definitely ok. Its all part of the process. Ride it out and enjoy the losses when they come. You will get past this and it will happen again. As you stick with it, you will see the trends and come to expect them. Keep up the good fight. You're doing great and its so worth it!!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Patience. It sucks, but you gotta have it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I know that my body is retaining fluid from my muscles etc.
    You know what's up. Keep going, you're awesome,.

I won't tell you it's going to be OK because it's not. It's going to be incredible.
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight when I started running, but I could see a big difference in how I looked, Keep at it, your body will catch up, and mentally its great !
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It is sad to see the scale go up---but keep running. You like it and it sounds like you found a nice group to run with. Give it some time and give yourself some love for getting out there and trying. Let us know in a month--I bet those tears will have turned to smiles because running will be your friend in this lifestyle change.

So, patience, my friend.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You're fine. Your body is just holding more water to repair your muscles from running. It will go away soon
    YUP
    Ride it out
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    congrats on the running. i'm glad you are enjoying it, and it sounds like you're doing the right thing. good shows, joining a group, and sticking to your work outs.

you are most likely not as accurate as you think you are. many people tend to under-estimate how much they eat, and over-estimate how much they burn.

just keep at it. there are other ways to gauge your physical fitness than a scale. you said it yourself, you are going further and faster.

besides all of that, you said you started about three weeks ago. what happens to women every four weeks?? yeah, i bet it's just some bloating and you're about to get your period.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This!

It takes time, you need to be mentally prepared that it's not going to be easy. Your body fluctuates and you will have to get used to it!

And you will gain water weight easy. Example: after Easter on Monday, I was up 6lbs from water weight. This morning? Down 4 already.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Your weight is going to go up and down..over the course of your journey. Depending on how often you weigh your self you going to see the peaks and valleys. What you want to see is a downward trend over time (there are apps that can graph that for you). If your not heading in a downward slope, then you know there is something out of wack with what your doing, and adjust.

But you struck an important point....your feeling better about your health...so regardless of the fustrations you can always boost yourself up with that knowledge...you feel great!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Definitely. It took a few weeks for my weight to settle back down after implementing exercise. You're headed in the right direction... It'll just take the scale a little while to catch up with you!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    it is going to be ok! Just keep plugging away. You're improving your health and that's more important than the scale! I can tell you that since I started 5 years ago, went from walking 3 miles in well over an hour to training for my 4th 1/2 marathon and keeping a 12 minute mile pace pretty consistantly no mater how many miles I run, I have so much more confidence in myself and generally feel happier than I was 5 years ago. I'm by no means where I want to be weight-wise but the excersise has improved my mental outlook on life tremendously. A little bit at a time, consistancy is the key. You sound like you're on the right track but may have to tweak your plans a little bit if things aren't going the way you want in a few weeks. And, don't be afraid to eat a little over your goal - I think this site does not give you enough protein calories, which really help stave off hunger.
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Work hard enough to make a sweat each day and measure your food carefully. Remember to count out all of the extra bites you might take in the day because they add up. Keep at it. I had several times where the weight just wouldn't come off but then after a few weeks I'd suddenly lose 5-6 lbs in one week.

Good luck with the running! I've learned to love running. I did a couch-2-5k when I was around 200 lbs and it was really challenging but a great way to get started.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It happens. Your body is holding fluids to repair your muscles from their new stress. Make sure you take proper rest days, keep stretching, and the water weight will go away soon (could be days or weeks, but it will go away). Then you'll start losing weight. Don't change anything now!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just a normal daily fluctuation.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    With consistency in running (and any exercise) your body will reach an equilibrium soon. Don't get hung up this early in the game. And a bit of unsolicited advice, I would recommend you not concern yourself with getting fast at this point. You're only asking for trouble. I would concern yourself with building your aerobic base by running for time over distance.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The only time I've really experienced weight loss with running was when I didn't think about weight loss. I know that totally sounds bogus but its the truth! Focus on the positive things and weight loss just seems to follow. Fill in this blank: I'M RUNNING BECAUSE _________ with something other than "because I want to lose weight". Stick with groups too... the support and friendships that develop are amazing.
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great job running!!!!

The only thing I can think of is your diet. It could have something to do with what you are eating. First try not eating back as many calories and second increase your protein and decrease your carbs (especially processed carbs). Higher protein diets work better with most PCOS people, myself included. If you eat fruit make sure its with a protein (cheese and an apple or banana with peanut butter)

Good luck and keep up the running, your hard work will pay off eventually.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You may be eating more than you think. Open your diary.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Don't stop. Don't be worried about daily fluctuations. Look at your average gain/loss over a 2-3 week period. If it averages up, either you are miscalculating your calories, or you can manually adjust the calorie goal MFP gives you.

I'm currently just maintaining my weight since I hit my goal. MFP told me something like 2100 calories to keep me at the same weight. I found that I was slowly gaining, so I manually adjusted it to 1900, and I've found that is perfect to keep me at my weight plus or minus 2 pounds for daily fluctuations.