Tell me it's ok -- Running

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 8-10 weeks to see a measurable difference in weight when I change my routine, assuming all of the other factors you've mentioned are being controlled for. And usually I see a gain of about 3-8 lbs for those 8-10 weeks, then whoooooshhh. (I have PCOS too, btw)

Hang in there cyster!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If this isn't the right place for this please let me know.

I'm sitting here so angry and frustrated that I don't know what to do. I started running 3 weeks ago. I weighed 268 lbs. That's a lot, yes I know. But I was tired of being weak and lethargic. I got the right shoes, I started with a group that runs for our local running store - i'm doing everything right etc. This is not a post about not being skinny yet I promise. I'm getting stronger. I'm running farther, I've taken two minutes off my miles in 3 weeks it's awesome. I'm proud! But I've gained 3 lbs! I'm SO upset. I'm averaging 1800-1900 calories on the days I don't run and 2200-2300 on the days I do. I'm tracking, I'm measuring and I'm pissed.

If I were smaller I don't think I'd be so mad at a gain but guys - I'm big and this makes me want to cry so hard that I can't see straight. I have PCOS (for those of you who know what this is) and it's already extremely hard to lose weight. I'm not going to stop because I like it and I like the way it makes me feel. I know that my body is retaining fluid from my muscles etc.

I'm just SO sad/mad/frustrated. I'm not even looking to lose weight but gaining? I just want to curl up in a ball.

Tell me it's going to be ok.

You are so freaking awesome. I'm amazed. Also, if it makes you feel better, you aren't the heaviest new runner on here.

Gaining water weight in those first few weeks is normal. A lot of people don't actually lose weight from running - you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. HOWEVER, you will see a difference in your aerobic capacity and strength. There will be a day when your fingers brush your thighs and they will feel solid. You will have a full day on your feet and won't even feel tired.

You will get the weight loss figured out and it will all come together for you. Running will make this easier.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've got PCOS, started running 7 weeks ago... and haven't lost a pound. I have, however, lost 6 inches combined (from hips, waist and bust), and my legs on their way to being rock solid. Give it some time, enjoy your runs, and it'll be ok :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I know that my body is retaining fluid from my muscles etc.
    You know what's up. Keep going, you're awesome,.

I won't tell you it's going to be OK because it's not. It's going to be incredible.

^^This!

Just make sure you are being as accurate as you can with your food intake so you aren't kidding yourself....food scales are your friend if you don't already have one. Keep it up! Just keep moving and eating right. It takes time...usually more than we would like...it is not linear...it is like a rollercoaster ride...don't let it rule you! Just rememeber ever roller coaster has its scary parts and its fun parts. This is a scary one...so you know what is coming..... FUN!!!!!!!!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking awesome steps to, well, becoming more awesome! :-)

I can relate to the scale fluctuation game that comes with running, or the addition of any exercise program really. You bust your butt, and the scale jumps up, and we feel deflated. I've SO been there, a hundred times.

Your body is learning to adapt to what you are asking of it - eating at a deficit to lose weight, and moving more. Your body will adapt to the new routine, and the scale will start to respond too.

For now, focus on continuing to move forward with your running, keep up a healthy eating plan.

If you still have concerns, and don't already do this, buy a food scale and weight out all your portions for greater accuracy of what you are actually eating.

One thought that came to mind from your post - is that you are eating 400 extra calories on the days you run. You might try to half that, eating closer to 2000 calories on the days you run. It's possible that eating that much more is a bit too much. Because you have a bit more weight to lose, a bigger deficit right now will not be harmful.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Even though you're at a high weight, you shouldn't focus on the scale. Focus on your dimensions (waist circumference, hips and thighs circumferences, upper arm circumference, etc.) and you'll see the change as you build muscle and diminish fat.

I know it's hard to ignore the scale, especially when you're working so hard, but you've got to or you'll just give up when you don't see what you want to see. Focus on feeling good and being proud of your efforts, and eventually the scale will reflect your lifestyle changes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you were losing on those calories before you started running, then it's likely water and you just need to give your body time to adjust.

And congrats on your running progress!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    With consistency in running (and any exercise) your body will reach an equilibrium soon. Don't get hung up this early in the game. And a bit of unsolicited advice, I would recommend you not concern yourself with getting fast at this point. You're only asking for trouble. I would concern yourself with building your aerobic base by running for time over distance.

Thank you! I agree with the time piece. The cool thing is that I started run/walking slow 1:1's so my time was 15:30. Now I'm doing 1.5/1's and I'm at about 13:30. I'm about to move to 2:1's because my aerobic endurance is getting so much better so my time is decreasing due to my endurance increasing but I'm still a turtle...it feels good to push my body past where I thought I could go and see myself improving - even after this little bit of time.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    With consistency in running (and any exercise) your body will reach an equilibrium soon. Don't get hung up this early in the game. And a bit of unsolicited advice, I would recommend you not concern yourself with getting fast at this point. You're only asking for trouble. I would concern yourself with building your aerobic base by running for time over distance.

Thank you! I agree with the time piece. The cool thing is that I started run/walking slow 1:1's so my time was 15:30. Now I'm doing 1.5/1's and I'm at about 13:30. I'm about to move to 2:1's because my aerobic endurance is getting so much better so my time is decreasing due to my endurance increasing but I'm still a turtle...it feels good to push my body past where I thought I could go and see myself improving - even after this little bit of time.

I think I started out with 17 minute miles and got slower before I got faster. You are doing great!!!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. A few of your comments made me a little teary. It's just so hard because I do NOT run to lose weight. I run to push myself, to test my limits, to forget my day, to feel strong, etc etc etc but I'm so unhappy with my weight that it's frustrating to see the scale just go up and up and up over the last 3 weeks.

I AM eating back my calories from running - all of them but that's still putting me at a net of 1800-1900 calories...so who knows. I'm just going to say it's water for now.

The encouragement is really helpful. Thank you guys.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've got PCOS, started running 7 weeks ago... and haven't lost a pound. I have, however, lost 6 inches combined (from hips, waist and bust), and my legs on their way to being rock solid. Give it some time, enjoy your runs, and it'll be ok :)

Good point! OP, the scale is not the only measurment of success. Just focusing on your progession with your running is pretty darn incredible!! Take body measurements and progress pictures, pay attention to how your close are fitting (I bet they're a bit looser) and try not to worry so much about what the scale says for a while. I know it's hard - my weight's been fluctuating quite a bit lately and it can be maddening but you just have to keep reminding yourself that it's part of the process and you're making excellent strides (haha pun intended) in other areas of your "journey".

keep it up! :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's going to be ok my fluid retaining asker of questions.

keep-calm-and-keep-running-4.png
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. A few of your comments made me a little teary. It's just so hard because I do NOT run to lose weight. I run to push myself, to test my limits, to forget my day, to feel strong, etc etc etc but I'm so unhappy with my weight that it's frustrating to see the scale just go up and up and up over the last 3 weeks.

I AM eating back my calories from running - all of them but that's still putting me at a net of 1800-1900 calories...so who knows. I'm just going to say it's water for now.

Hey. You know...you're a runner now. We stick together.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You could be overestimating calories burned while running, or underestimating what you're eating. After 3 weeks with a net increase of 3 lbs I'd say it's likely your intake isn't what it should be.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

We have a secret club and hijack the Fitness and Exercise boards. I'll PM you our secret code.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You could be overestimating calories burned while running, or underestimating what you're eating. After 3 weeks with a net increase of 3 lbs I'd say it's likely your intake isn't what it should be.

You're probably at least partially right, but I'd give it another couple weeks because the fluid gain can be this much.

OP - were you losing before you started running? Are you weighing your food or just estimating portions?
  • likitisplit
    Options

We have a secret club and hijack the Fitness and Exercise boards. I'll PM you our secret code.

Shush. "We don't have a secret club"

Here's the initiate...I mean a great supportive group for new runners:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm getting stronger. I'm running farther, I've taken two minutes off my miles in 3 weeks it's awesome.

Keep this line in mind as it's far more important that the number on your scale. You're getting fitter and healthier.

I'm with the others on water weight though.....one of the adaptive responses to running is that your body stores more glycogen in anticipation of future energy needs. Every gram of glycogen stored bonds with 3g of water....it's not at all unusual for high performance distance runners to put on a couple of kgs in the week leading up to a race as they carb load.

You're doing great, two minutes off your mile time is a real accomplishment.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You're fine. Your body is just holding more water to repair your muscles from running. It will go away soon

This!!!!!

3 lbs in 3 weeks is statistically insignificant. Weigh yourself once a week at most and see how you change over months, not weeks. Be patient and persistent. Weigh all the food that goes in your mouth and log honestly.

And finally...

Keep running!!! You are doing great!