If your pregnant do you count as a mother on mother's day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a mother yet. Enjoy the sweet, sweet freedom you have now and celebrate being a slave to another once it happens, ok?
    Being pregnant was a HUGE draw on my time, energy and everything else. I couldn't live a normal life because of restrictions and I threw up nearly everything I ate for nine months.

I'd say that qualifies. It was more difficult for me being pregnant than actually raising my child.

I had hyperemesis gravidarum for 7 solid months, you're friends with my baby daddy on here, so you can ask him to confirm that. I weighed 147 pounds before getting pregnant, weighed 143 the day I came home. Suffice to say, I know all about pregnancy being a drain.

Any woman carrying a child who wants the recognition, fiiiine. But this post is moving in another direction and my point is, I am 100% willing to say all that suffering I experienced didn't make me an actual mother --- it was nice emotionally, but it didn't make me a mom.

This is a good point here. Giving birth doesn't necessarily make one a mother.

But, if she is pregnant and she wants a gift for Mother's Day... then the expecting father would be wise to give her something.

I didn't expect anything when I was pregnant. I was surprised with a little something and that was just because the giver loved me enough to do so.

QFT!!!!

I agree, if a pregnant woman wants her man to recognize her on mother's day, he better do it because it IS a sacrifice. However, I am not gonna say that pregnant women are automatically mothers -- even if that means I have to say the absolute hell I wet through didn't make me eligible to get a mother's day gift. Make sense?

And even though I was a sick disaster, it was easier in some ways than mothering a birthed child that can walk, talk, break other things - including themselves and cause havoc in new and unusual ways each and everyday.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Definitely.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had vomiting for 9 months both times also. Second time I was in severe pain and started gushing blood in the third trimester. This is such a fun conversation now. Pregnancy was more difficult for me than motherhood. I could be more productive and dance after the babies were born. But I also gave birth at home. On mother's day, my husband said happy mother's day. It was sweet because I was going through a lot. Do you want to make that political.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you consider a mother. Does simply giving birth make a person a "mother"? If so, then no. A pregnant woman isn't yet a mother.

However, I personally don't recognize someone’s ability to spread their legs, get preggers and incubate a fetus for a period of time before squatting out a human being as a soul requirement to be in the Mother Club. I have known several women who adopt (legally or just figuratively), never had children of their own and are still better mothers than 90% of the population. So, by my own definition of what a "Mother" is... a pregnant woman sure can have recognition on Mother's Day. Well, that is if she acts motherly by caring for and protecting her unborn child. If she's running around as if she isn't pregnant, then no she is no mother in my eyes, "NO HEART SHAPED CANDIES AND CARD FOR YOU!".
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I had vomiting for 9 months both times also. Second time I was in severe pain and started gushing blood in the third trimester. This is such a fun conversation now. Pregnancy was more difficult for me than motherhood. I could be more productive and dance after the babies were born. But I also gave birth at home. On mother's day, my husband said happy mother's day. It was sweet because I was going through a lot. Do you want to make that political.

Birthing at home is really interesting to me. My labor/delivery was fast (like 7 hours total), I was prepared for something long and drawn out - figuring the worst case scenario would happen, since I had such a terrible pregnancy. I wish I had known because I would have looked into more options than I did. I just looked into epidurals.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you consider a mother. Does simply giving birth make a person a "mother"? If so, then no. A pregnant woman isn't yet a mother.

However, I personally don't recognize someone’s ability to spread their legs, get preggers and incubate a fetus for a period of time before squatting out a human being as a soul requirement to be in the Mother Club. I have known several women who adopt (legally or just figuratively), never had children of their own and are still better mothers than 90% of the population. So, by my own definition of what a "Mother" is... a pregnant woman sure can have recognition on Mother's Day. Well, that is if she acts motherly by caring for and protecting her unborn child. If she's running around as if she isn't pregnant, then no she is no mother in my eyes, "NO HEART SHAPED CANDIES AND CARD FOR YOU!".

The heart shaped candies come on Valentine's Day. Get your *kitten* straight man!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Birthing at home is really interesting to me. My labor/delivery was fast (like 7 hours total), I was prepared for something long and drawn out - figuring the worst case scenario would happen, since I had such a terrible pregnancy. I wish I had known because I would have looked into more options than I did. I just looked into epidurals.

My first labor was around 16 hours. I labored at home with a doula. Went to the hospital to push the baby out. Second labor was 6 hours. Gave birth at home and glad I did.

To the guy above: people also say happy mother's day to people that are waiting on an adoption.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was pregnant with my first on mothers day and my husband refused to acknowledge I was a mother. That fu(ker.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

The heart shaped candies come on Valentine's Day. Get your *kitten* straight man!

Seriously. And also...good F yourself.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It's cool. I don't like candy anyhow.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Absolutely... a mother's love starts early... How could you care for your child any better than by holding it inside of you???
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    A fetus isn't yet a child TO ME, so no I don't think a pregnant woman counts as a mother just yet. That's MY OPINION. HOWEVER, if you WANT to celebrate mother's day as a pregnant woman, I won't stop you. Choice is a beautiful thing.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Um, your keeping a human alive in your stomach, thats motherhood right there!

Well, if you had a human in your stomach, the poor girl/guy would hardly be alive. Just saying.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Well, if you had a human in your stomach, the poor girl/guy would hardly be alive. Just saying.

The acid, mom, it burns.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

The acid, mom, it burns.

I was thinking zombies...
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, if *you're pregnant "Mother's Day" totally counts for you.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Most Definitely!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options

The acid, mom, it burns.

I was thinking zombies...

You two crack me up!!
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely counts. You go to doctors appts to check on the growth and we'll being of that child, you ensure you don't eat certain foods or drinks when pregnant not for you but for your child. Heck, when I was pregnant I had a time for myself every night where I would lie down and hold my belly to feel my daughter's movements, I would talk to her and tell her I loved her. How is that not being a mother?