Dog people...c'mere!!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So my 7 month old foster puppy, Ruby, is an incredible chewer! She has destroyed literally every single dog toy I've gotten her. Stuffed animals with squeekers? Fugghetaboutit! The only thing she hasn't destroyed is her heavy duty kong toy, but I need more toys for her!

What can I get my heavy chewer that she won't destroy? Any good brands I can try? Also, aside from peanut butter and cream cheese, what can I stuff a kong with?

Thanks so much and woof from Ruby!:happy:

Replies

• ErynV15
    ErynV15 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My lab is a chewer, and I have to tell ya... Kong toys are pretty much the only thing I have found so far that she doesn't destroy in minutes! I try to get variations in the Kong toys.. but yeah!
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have an 8month old Lab and he has gone through more toys than I can count...the only ones that have stood up to his aggressive chewing are the Kong toys and also Nylabone. Nylabones come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes and can be found in most pets stores. He's had his for about 4 months now and there is barely a dent in them!!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    My lab is a chewer, and I have to tell ya... Kong toys are pretty much the only thing I have found so far that she doesn't destroy in minutes! I try to get variations in the Kong toys.. but yeah!

Totally agree...if it aint Kong then I refuse to buy it for my Short Haired Pointer....plus they have good ones that float as well.

May be a lil more pricey then regular ones but worth it
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much! She does love her kong toys so I'll be sure to get more!:smile:
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Totally agree...if it aint Kong then I refuse to buy it for my Short Haired Pointer....plus they have good ones that float as well.

Your GSHP looks exactly like my old girl who had to be put down last July due to cancer. Beautiful dogs. We hope to get another one this fall. My husband wants to hunt and our last one was gun shy, so we'll see how it goes.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options

Your GSHP looks exactly like my old girl who had to be put down last July due to cancer. Beautiful dogs. We hope to get another one this fall. My husband wants to hunt and our last one was gun shy, so we'll see how it goes.

Oh no thats terrible....well you know then how much exercise they need
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As bizarre as it seems for a dog that has also managed to destroy a few Kong toys over the years...this one has stood up for 5 years with no tears or anything. Looks like it should be for puppys but he either just loves it too much to try destroying it or gave up years ago on it
    81iE6OLafxL._SL1500_.jpg
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have a beagle cross who is addicted to chewing ! Only things that we give him anymore are pieces of Deer or Elk Antlers - they last a long time, and he can't splinter them like most other bones we have tried...
  • JnK619
    JnK619 Posts: 320
    Options
    Kong toys and nylabones are all that last with my dog
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Kong. Those are only toys my English Bulldog won't eat.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Antlers. We get them from Michiganantlerart.com. You can email the owner and tell him you have a very strong chewer and he will send you the antlers you need.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I buy the super industrial dog toys, or the ones with the squeakers but no stuffing, and those seem to hold up well. Our Chiweenie has finally stopped pulling the stuffing our of her toys, but she's 7 so it certainly took her long enough to quit!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Nylabones. Not so sure about antlers. Got some for my dogs a few years ago, the dogs chewed them up within an hour.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My dog likes antlers too, but his absolute favorite thing is a Kong parfait. I don't like to fill it all the way with peanut butter because I don't want him to get fat. So I put peanut butter in the bottom (tap it on the counter to get it to settle all the way to the small end), fill it most of the way with kibble or chopped-up Beggin Strips, then cover with more peanut butter. THEN, and this is the beauty part, I FREEZE it. Takes him waaay longer to get through when it's frozen and he adores it.
  • paperalien
    paperalien Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MARMITE!

My dogs love Marmite almost as much as they love peanut butter.

And yea Kong toys are pretty much the strongest toys around. Really good if you have 2 Labradors...
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have an American Staffordshire Terrier who destroys every toy he gets. Among other things, we have 2 black Kongs which have lasted since we bought them but we also found "Goughnuts". They are fairly priced compared with the Nylabones and Kongs, but the best part is they have a 100% lifetime guarantee. If your dog chews through the material and exposes the red "stop" part, you mail it in with $5.25 and they send you a brand new one. We've sent in 2 of the black sticks so far (although I think my chow/rottie assisted in destroying the last one). They've lasted us for over a year at a time, and the sticks make great fetch and tug-of-war toys too.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Kong!:drinker:
    My dog has wrecked pretty much everything in his 8 years.

He's working on his second Kong Football from Walmart (you could probably get it online) only thing that lasts and he enjoys.
    The first one lasted about 2 years which is a miracle. It doesn't have anywhere for treats but he likes it anyway.

We bought a fake Kong from a store once that we timed with a stopwatch that lasted 12.5 seconds.
    I've never burned through $12 so fast.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My dog likes antlers too, but his absolute favorite thing is a Kong parfait. I don't like to fill it all the way with peanut butter because I don't want him to get fat. So I put peanut butter in the bottom (tap it on the counter to get it to settle all the way to the small end), fill it most of the way with kibble or chopped-up Beggin Strips, then cover with more peanut butter. THEN, and this is the beauty part, I FREEZE it. Takes him waaay longer to get through when it's frozen and he adores it.

This is what I always did with my little dachshund who was a surprisingly ferocious chewer. Treats or dry food mixed in with softer ingredients to fill the Kong, then frozen.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My dachsie loved frozen baby carrots! I didn't exercise her enough and she got chubby anyway. Wish I could go back in time and take better care of her. :(
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    my little *kitten* would go through kongs like crazy

the only brand I have found to stand up to his destruction was from west paw design. he has the zogoflex hurley and the tux and he loves them!

https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys