Dog people...c'mere!!

Options

Replies

• jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a Bluetick Coonhound and a Basset/Beagle mix that love Nylabone's Galileo bone. The Kong toys have fared pretty well over the years, too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My dog has managed to destroy all balls and decapitated all stuffed dog toys (including the triple sown "tough" animals) left in her sight. Luckily she doesn't chew on furniture or anything she is not supposed to (except an unfortunate teddy bear once, who is now eye-less). The only thing she had managed to not destroy is the orange and blue Chuckit, ultra ball. I have been pleased that it is still intact and one of her favorite toys. She has had if for months and it is showing no signs of giving up yet! Good luck, I hope you find something to keep pup busy and out of trouble.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My dog, Paxton, a Boxer is a major chewer. His favorite and best chew toy is a real live, honest to God, Traffic cone! Indestructible! You can put PB on the inside of the cone and he will lick it off, drop treats down the middle hole if you like. Paxton just enjoys chewing on it and dragging it around the house. He thinks he is a pretty special puppy!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Why do you think your dog needs synthetic "toys"? Obviously he would be healthiest with large, raw bones. Both my pitbull cross and Inuit dog (there's no dog closer to a wolf than that) destroy toys and ingest them so they get bones, antlers, hooves and pig ears, etc. It's healthier and safer that way.

Reading the comments, I'm just blown away how sold so many people are on fake, synthetic stuff that dogs are chewing on and likely consuming....

let me guess you do not feed your dog typical dog food either but make it out of "real" food yourself?

She's actually spot on...

Agreed... seen way too many dogs end up at the vet for ingesting torn up toys
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My dog goes crazy for these:

31D2v2iFdzL.jpg

They're split antlers, and my little destroyer can't get enough. The natural stuff really is the way to go with a heavy chewer because they will inevitably ingest something.

He also loves these:

TazBall.jpg

Tanzanian mountain ball. The ridges clean his teeth really well, and they are nearly indestructible. Have to replace every couple of months.

Edit to confess: I cook for my dog too sometimes *shameface*
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Antlers. We get them from Michiganantlerart.com. You can email the owner and tell him you have a very strong chewer and he will send you the antlers you need.

I have two Westies, They really are not noted for being chewers they are pullers though, so when they attack something from opposite ends, it does not last long. My daughter who had a yellow Lab that was gave them antlers about 3 years ago. They have lasted all that time with barely a scratch.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Our 50lb pitbull puppy, who has chewed through every Kong toy we've thrown at her, has yet to be able to destroy the Nerf dog toys we bought her 3 months ago...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My lab mix is only 55 lbs and can destroy things that are supposed to be indestructible. The only things that last around my house are actual bones. Someone gave me cow hooves, like 2 whole freakin' cow feet, and they freak me out, so I haven't given them to my dogs, and therefore can't report on them.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the kong toys, they're the only toys my Bruce (boxer/Pitt mix) hasn't destroyed! Aside from peanut butter, he really loves it when I stuff them with mashed sweet potatoes or chopped apples.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    One more thing: femur bones. But the only ones that don't break apart or split are the ones we buy at a high end pet place. They aren't easy to find and I've bought some that just cracked into pieces.

ETA: They are hollow and full of grossness that the dogs LOVE. Mine will spend hours licking out the inside and then chewing on the outside. We call them babysitters....haha

I pick up bones from the butcher shop once in a while. They will chew on them for hours and then just sleep!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    My lab mix is only 55 lbs and can destroy things that are supposed to be indestructible. The only things that last around my house are actual bones. Someone gave me cow hooves, like 2 whole freakin' cow feet, and they freak me out, so I haven't given them to my dogs, and therefore can't report on them.

actual bones...mmmmm...different topic...have you tried antlers? Deer antlers that is....
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

actual bones...mmmmm...different topic...have you tried antlers? Deer antlers that is....

No, not yet. They wouldn't freak me out as bad as the cow feet. They're really disgusting. I should take a picture and send it to you. I'm talking about the bones like JessG11 gets her pointer, and not the one in her avatar. That's Bill Murray. :tongue:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    So my 7 month old foster puppy, Ruby, is an incredible chewer! She has destroyed literally every single dog toy I've gotten her. Stuffed animals with squeekers? Fugghetaboutit! The only thing she hasn't destroyed is her heavy duty kong toy, but I need more toys for her!

What can I get my heavy chewer that she won't destroy? Any good brands I can try? Also, aside from peanut butter and cream cheese, what can I stuff a kong with?

Thanks so much and woof from Ruby!:happy:

Dead cats work well.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Why do you think your dog needs synthetic "toys"? Obviously he would be healthiest with large, raw bones. Both my pitbull cross and Inuit dog (there's no dog closer to a wolf than that) destroy toys and ingest them so they get bones, antlers, hooves and pig ears, etc. It's healthier and safer that way.

Reading the comments, I'm just blown away how sold so many people are on fake, synthetic stuff that dogs are chewing on and likely consuming....

let me guess you do not feed your dog typical dog food either but make it out of "real" food yourself?

She's actually spot on...

In a demeaning kind of way towards people who buy toys for their dogs. My dog destroys toys, that is why i had to go to a dog that she can not. My dog will not chew a pig ear or antler. I have given her real bones and she will chew for a few minutes and then go after something else. Kongs are her favorite toy, put some treats in it and she does to town for an hour at times.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    So my 7 month old foster puppy, Ruby, is an incredible chewer! She has destroyed literally every single dog toy I've gotten her. Stuffed animals with squeekers? Fugghetaboutit! The only thing she hasn't destroyed is her heavy duty kong toy, but I need more toys for her!

What can I get my heavy chewer that she won't destroy? Any good brands I can try? Also, aside from peanut butter and cream cheese, what can I stuff a kong with?

Thanks so much and woof from Ruby!:happy:

Dead cats work well.

:angry: Play nice!
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with the unstuffed floppy toys - they look like stuffed animals that were pre-killed. They still tend to get ripped up a bit, but at least I do not have to worry about stuffing everywhere!

Otherwise, Kong-stlye all the way! I never stuff them, so can't help you there!
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old terrier mix foster who can destroy and eat nearly anything on this planet. Her previous foster sent her to me with a Tuffy Toy (http://www.tuffietoys.com/) and so far she hasn't managed to rip it, or de-squeaker it.

Other than that, my other fosters and my own 75 lb Golden Retriever Mix get carrots, stuffed and frozen kongs (frozen banana filling is AMAZING!), frozen raw bones, antlers (www.michiganantlerart.com), and various tug toys (like braided rope/fleece toys).

Kongs are empty within 15 minutes, antlers last for months and months and months. I used to give bully sticks, but they were too expensive for 7 minutes of peace and quiet.

This may not apply to your situation, but I've found that the dogs chew less when they get moderate amounts of exercise a few times a day.
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Options
    Yea I agree with kong, nylabone, and antlers. I have a lab pit mix and he is what you call an ULTIMATE chewer. Not even joking. Kong lasts a good amount of time but for mine are not indestructible. The antlers last the longest for him. Thankfully he has not destroyed any furniture, some damage but he learned to stop chewing it. Also funny enough he likes to chew on my hand and anyone else's who trust him but he is very very gentle. It's part of his way of showing his love. Mine gets plenty of exercise. A good walk in the evening and lots of romping around the back yard with my moms lab during the day.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I actually had a chocolate Lab once that was allergic to everything and I had to make his food...raw ground chicken and I grew all the veggies and squash to grind with it....that was dog love, I tell ya.

I never found a toy my Great Dane wouldn't destroy in minutes and she thoroughly enjoyed doing it.

My rottie never chewed up any toy ever. She had a smurf she carried around for years.

My Basset hound chewed up and swallowed a toy when non one was looking--Bassets can be sneaky little buggers. Turns out it was sewed with fishing line. Fishing line and dog intestines don't mix well. Many thousands of $$$ of doggie love to keep him alive through that. Check how your dog toys are made.

I am a big fan of plain old raw bones for chewing. I give them frozen so it takes longer to get through, especially with larger dogs with strong jaws.

Every dog is different, but Kong is usually one of the best ways to go. I have been known to make Kong parfait as well. Thank goodness my current dog isn't destructive. Loves to chew a bone, but most of her toys are still intact.

Edit to add bull pizzle. Most dogs can get a fairly long chew out of a bully stick.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My husband has a few thousand antlers in our garage. Don't they splinter????