Cannot lose weight

Options
1235»

Replies

• nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I weigh solids. Fruit ,veggies, chips, meat. I usually use measuring cups for milk, condiments, and some side dishes like mashed potatoes and like rice. I always use a straight edge to level off. How far off would this put me? Would it be worth zeroing out the container on the scale to weigh these foods or is the difference not that big?
    it depends.

if you're losing, it isn't a big deal.
    When folks show up complaining about "I'm not losing, but I'm logging accurately"...then that's when the difference could be big enough that a deficit isn't a deficit.
    If it isn't a big enough difference that you aren't losing, then don't sweat it.

I weigh everything I can. Peanut butter included...

just because it's habit for me... and I like data to be as accurate as it can be.

I am happy with my loss when I follow my deficit so I guess I should be ok. It's all the family events that slow my loss lol. I might weight the peanut butter now though. That's so high in calories that if I think I'm getting one tbsp and I'm actually getting double the amount that would be bad. I might weight everything for a week or two to see how accurate the cups are compared to the scale with the foods I eat. I am hoping the rice and mashed potatoes are close to accurate because I usually just use the measuring cup as our serving spoon lol.

I'm glad I came across this so I can check out my foods and see where I stand!

I put my jar of peanut butter on my scale, turn the scale on, and then take out 32 grams so the scale reads -32 g. Then I get to lick the spoon too. :wink:

That's a great idea. I'd be trying to put a dab of peanut butter on wax paper on the scale till it read the right amount lol and making a sticky mess!
  • janeishavingtrouble
    janeishavingtrouble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been battling the same issue. I have cut to 1400 to 1600 hundred calories. Measuring!

I am older and thyroid tests are on the edge.

When I tell the doctors what I do for exercise they look at me like I make it up.

I have started recording everything I eat and do on here and will use it for evidence. Hopefully someone will believe me that some people just do not lose weight very easily.

And....If I happen to lose weight because I am keeping such close track I will CELEBRATE!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. One week of this and you're life will change!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I weigh solids. Fruit ,veggies, chips, meat. I usually use measuring cups for milk, condiments, and some side dishes like mashed potatoes and like rice. I always use a straight edge to level off. How far off would this put me? Would it be worth zeroing out the container on the scale to weigh these foods or is the difference not that big?
    it depends.

if you're losing, it isn't a big deal.
    When folks show up complaining about "I'm not losing, but I'm logging accurately"...then that's when the difference could be big enough that a deficit isn't a deficit.
    If it isn't a big enough difference that you aren't losing, then don't sweat it.

I weigh everything I can. Peanut butter included...

just because it's habit for me... and I like data to be as accurate as it can be.

I am happy with my loss when I follow my deficit so I guess I should be ok. It's all the family events that slow my loss lol. I might weight the peanut butter now though. That's so high in calories that if I think I'm getting one tbsp and I'm actually getting double the amount that would be bad. I might weight everything for a week or two to see how accurate the cups are compared to the scale with the foods I eat. I am hoping the rice and mashed potatoes are close to accurate because I usually just use the measuring cup as our serving spoon lol.

I'm glad I came across this so I can check out my foods and see where I stand!

I put my jar of peanut butter on my scale, turn the scale on, and then take out 32 grams so the scale reads -32 g. Then I get to lick the spoon too. :wink:

That's a great idea. I'd be trying to put a dab of peanut butter on wax paper on the scale till it read the right amount lol and making a sticky mess!
    I was a veteran food-weigher when I came across this tip last year. It was life-changing for me.

Peanut butter, butter, mayonnaise, salad dressing, guacamole, mashed potatoes, anything gloppy and calorie-dense is the perfect candidate for the negative-weighing-from-container trick.
  • SolitudesMuse
    SolitudesMuse Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info so far. I think my biggest concern is that I work out, and not in a sloppy manner. I have a very strict workout plan designed by a trainer, leave the gym feeling fully worked out, sweaty and tired, so I know I got a good workout in, yet I still have the same body I had last August. What could I be missing. I eat only whole foods, little to no fruit, with the exception of berries here and there, so I'm not eating those hidden sugars, in fruits. Also, I hardly eat any carbs.

Well unfortunately, as a general rule, you can't out-exercise a bad diet... and in your case "bad diet" sounds like you might be eating good foods but not in the right portions since you don't weigh/measure your food.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

^^ THIS

I was in the same boat, thinking I'm eating right, but gaining weight. Now I am accurate and losing.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had this problem and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. 

Just shoot me an email at -- christine.marquez90@gmail.com -- and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day.
    shut up, spambot.