Are you a Clean Eater?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to "eat clean"? I have seen this terminology on other posts too. Sorry, I'm pretty new here.

I eat all kinds of foods. I don't know what "clean" foods vs. "dirty" foods means. I probably eat some of each?

In my opinion, eat clean= 5 ingredients or less.

so if I made an omelet with eggs, free range chicken, organic tomatoes, organic avocado, onion, and some cheese that would not be clean because it has six ingredients, really???

Umm no...more than 5 ingredients listed on the package. LOL

But why does it matter whether it's mixed together prior to purchase or after? I mean, I kinda "get" the "things I can't pronounce" rule, although I still don't agree with it and I think it's a logical fallacy. But if something has 6 ingredients and they're all things you know, why is that worse than something with 4 ingredients?

you beat me to it ….lol @ five ingredients being the cut off for processed vs non processed….

technically everything is processed….if I kill a cow and cut a ribeye, it is processed...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to "eat clean"? I have seen this terminology on other posts too. Sorry, I'm pretty new here.

I eat all kinds of foods. I don't know what "clean" foods vs. "dirty" foods means. I probably eat some of each?

Do red and green peppers count as separate ingredients? Because I'd hate if that was the difference between clean and dirty in my Western Omelet.
    Off to make dirty breakfast for dinner now!! Egg white, shredded frozen potatoes, turkey sausage crumbles, onions, red AND green peppers, cheese and salsa. Positively filthy, I tell you!

EIGHT INGREDIENTS? Are you crazy? Jeez... you're going to need a cleanse to git rid of all those toxins.
    There was also mayo, tuna and shrimp. Pretty sure I'm gon' die.

Also, I have a "clean" snack planned too... Fried pork rinds, Aged Cayenne Red Pepper, Vinegar, Salt, Garlic. 5 ingredients... must be clean, right?:laugh:

I am having ice cream and milanos …must be clean …right?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    All that "stuff" they put in there, preservatives and words I can't pronounce.
    I am very adroit at pronunciation. Am I all good with twinkies, then?
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    So have we defined "clean" yet? I wash my onions and peppers before cooking them in my 27% fat taco meat.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Nahhhh.
    Just sometimes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    My dishes and silverware are clean.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    So have we defined "clean" yet? I wash my onions and peppers before cooking them in my 27% fat taco meat.
    Yes. It turns out that if you eat that with tortillas, cheese, and guacamole, you are no longer eating clean.

But a big ol' spoonful of Crisco is just fine. Just don't you dare put both salt AND pepper on it after that, or you might as well eat a big ol' handful of dirt.
  • smaxw7
    smaxw7 Posts: 15
    Options
    How exactly are you defining "clean eater?" I try my best to eat organic, "real" food (minimally processed), and avoid artificial chemicals, sweeteners, dyes etc... Most of what I ate today fit that description, but I ended my day with 4 mini reeses PB cups.

So... Kind of??
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    Yes. It turns out that if you eat that with tortillas, cheese, and guacamole, you are no longer eating clean.

Well shoot. I even put lettuce, rice, sour cream, and salsa on it. THAT's not even close.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If I shower before every meal does that count? :p

Am I now? Nope... but working on eating "cleaner".
  • BrownEyedBetty
    BrownEyedBetty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat pretty clean, I don't drink soda and I try not to eat processed foods but those damn morning star veggie burgers are addicting...
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    While I don't endorse a daily diet of soft drinks, processed food and baked goods (who would?), I really wish that we would banish the term "clean eating." I think it encourages anxiety about food. It also seems to have emerged from pseudo-science a la Gwyneth Paltrow's gurus et al.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I Dont wash food before eating it.

I think Im a dirty eater as well.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    How exactly are you defining "clean eater?" I try my best to eat organic, "real" food (minimally processed), and avoid artificial chemicals, sweeteners, dyes etc... Most of what I ate today fit that description, but I ended my day with 4 mini reeses PB cups.

So... Kind of??
    Nope. You're part of the IIFYM crowd now.
    4822651_7369.jpg
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Not as clean an eater as I'd like to be but I'm getting there.

We're planning on (hopefully) having a garden this year. We are using heirloom seeds so that we can take the seeds from the crop and replant them the following year. You can't do that with the seeds they sell in the store (unless they specifically state they're heirloom which there aren't that many). There's a bunch of other things that I try to do: buy foods with a limited list of ingredients, ingredients I can understand etc. I have grain and plan on buying a grinder so I can make flour . . . it's scary what's in foods these days, added chemicals, chemicals from pesticides, chemicals from GMO's etc. so I do what I can to limit how much chemicals I eat.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    While I don't endorse a daily diet of soft drinks, processed food and baked goods (who would?), I really wish that we would banish the term "clean eating." I think it encourages anxiety about food. It also seems to have emerged from pseudo-science a la Gwyneth Paltrow's gurus et al.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    While I don't endorse a daily diet of nothing but soft drinks, processed food and baked goods (who would?), I really wish that we would banish the term "clean eating." I think it encourages anxiety about food. It also seems to have emerged from pseudo-science a la Gwyneth Paltrow's gurus et al.

I'd agree with one small change, which I've made above ^
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

so if I made an omelet with eggs, free range chicken, organic tomatoes, organic avocado, onion, and some cheese that would not be clean because it has six ingredients, really???

I'm talking about ingredients on a food label.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I eat clean about 80% of the time. A couple of reasons why 1. All that "stuff" they put in there, preservatives and words I can't pronounce. 2. Carbs, just simple carbs, I still eat my veggies and fruit. I have never liked canned veggies unless they are home canned so that part hasn't changed. I really just want to cut out as much of the processed foods as I can. The one thing I'm not giving up is my yogurt. I've discovered Voskos greek and I love it. Fage also is very yummy.

do you have a carb sensitivity?

Not at all, but by giving up those carbs I find I don't crave sugary stuff.

not really sure I see the connection between carbs and craving sugary stuff…..but whatever floats your boat...

Really? it's NOT about floating a boat it's about what works for me. I eat pasta and bread and I crave sugar and lots of it. I don't eat those things and I don't crave sugar and I can actually bake yummy stuff and walk away only having a taste instead of the whole thing. You on the other hand may not have that problem, your lucky.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I'm talking about ingredients on a food label. Don't be a wise *kitten*.
    I sincerely in all earnestness don't think that objection is being a wise *kitten* at all. I think it is absolutely on point. If I package Crisco, flour, sugar, vanilla and eggs is that healthier than a Quest bar? If so, why?