Are you a Clean Eater?

Options

Replies

• dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to "eat clean"? I have seen this terminology on other posts too. Sorry, I'm pretty new here.

I eat all kinds of foods. I don't know what "clean" foods vs. "dirty" foods means. I probably eat some of each?

In my opinion, eat clean= 5 ingredients or less.

so if I made an omelet with eggs, free range chicken, organic tomatoes, organic avocado, onion, and some cheese that would not be clean because it has six ingredients, really???

I'm talking about ingredients on a food label. Don't be a wise *kitten*.

So YOU weren't clear with your arbitrary definition of a non-defined term, but I'M the *kitten*. Gotcha.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to "eat clean"? I have seen this terminology on other posts too. Sorry, I'm pretty new here.

I eat all kinds of foods. I don't know what "clean" foods vs. "dirty" foods means. I probably eat some of each?

In my opinion, eat clean= 5 ingredients or less.

so if I made an omelet with eggs, free range chicken, organic tomatoes, organic avocado, onion, and some cheese that would not be clean because it has six ingredients, really???

I'm talking about ingredients on a food label. Don't be a wise *kitten*.

please explain the five ingredient cut off in more detail for us "wise *kitten*'s"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat clean about 80% of the time. A couple of reasons why 1. All that "stuff" they put in there, preservatives and words I can't pronounce. 2. Carbs, just simple carbs, I still eat my veggies and fruit. I have never liked canned veggies unless they are home canned so that part hasn't changed. I really just want to cut out as much of the processed foods as I can. The one thing I'm not giving up is my yogurt. I've discovered Voskos greek and I love it. Fage also is very yummy.

do you have a carb sensitivity?

Not at all, but by giving up those carbs I find I don't crave sugary stuff.

not really sure I see the connection between carbs and craving sugary stuff…..but whatever floats your boat...

Really? it's NOT about floating a boat it's about what works for me. I eat pasta and bread and I crave sugar and lots of it. I don't eat those things and I don't crave sugar and I can actually bake yummy stuff and walk away only having a taste instead of the whole thing. You on the other hand may not have that problem, your lucky.

again, don't see the connection …

sound more like a will power issue or something ….

translation - whatever floats your boat = whatever works for you...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I take a shower before I eat, does that count?? :huh:
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to be.. and it led me to lose 10 kgs TWICE.. on two separate occasions. I dropped the weight FAST and man was it great!

The problem I had was I deprived myself so much.. that of course both times.. I put back on all of the weight. Because I would binge like never before!! "Clean eating" as they say doesn't work for me!! I HATED it. I would cry and cry because "i couldn't" the foods I wanted. Ergh...

Love MFP. I can eat WHATEVER I want.. as long as I'm in deficit!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I eat clean about 80% of the time. A couple of reasons why 1. All that "stuff" they put in there, preservatives and words I can't pronounce. 2. Carbs, just simple carbs, I still eat my veggies and fruit. I have never liked canned veggies unless they are home canned so that part hasn't changed. I really just want to cut out as much of the processed foods as I can. The one thing I'm not giving up is my yogurt. I've discovered Voskos greek and I love it. Fage also is very yummy.

do you have a carb sensitivity?

Not at all, but by giving up those carbs I find I don't crave sugary stuff.

not really sure I see the connection between carbs and craving sugary stuff…..but whatever floats your boat...

Really? it's NOT about floating a boat it's about what works for me. I eat pasta and bread and I crave sugar and lots of it. I don't eat those things and I don't crave sugar and I can actually bake yummy stuff and walk away only having a taste instead of the whole thing. You on the other hand may not have that problem, your lucky.

again, don't see the connection …

sound more like a will power issue or something ….

translation - whatever floats your boat = whatever works for you...

LOL I have the will power to lose over 200 lbs. I'm SURE that's not the issue.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    No. I really enjoy food, and I am not a clean eater. I'm a dirty girl:
    IMG_20130626_180757.jpg
    IMG_20130707_144106.jpg
    IMG_20130725_175830.jpg
    IMG_20130123_104658.jpg
    IMG_20130122_095316.jpg
    BAT BERRY!
    IMG_20130122_095309.jpg
    roasted peppers for pepperanada
    IMG_20130105_154817.jpg
    gnocchi with cheese, not clean at all.
    IMG_20130105_154427.jpg
    this was later battered and deep fried :devil:
    IMG_20130105_154342.jpg
    chicken, lamb, beef, and 4 types of cheese fondue
    IMG_20121230_174614.jpg
    IMG_20121230_170553.jpg
    X9Yw-5ezhk3RrZK40kHwGQ-mpuT7X1xJlzpmQ18J8JNf=w146-h193-p-no
    Pict0103.jpg
    for Gado Gado
    20140214_191445.jpg
    pepperanada
    20140214_195006.jpg
    Indonesian Sautee
    20140214_195508.jpg
    tea
    20140108_133828.jpg
    choming mango while making mango chutney for spiced tofu experiment (it went well)
    20140301_153129.jpg
    beginnings of shawarma
    IMG_20121230_174621.jpg
    fresh bread, strawberry spinach salad with roasted candied nuts and chicken curry and irish coffee
    IMG_20121213_191042.jpg
    gone
    IMG_20121213_192717.jpg

I do eat processed goods, some of them as seen above, I process myself (I also bake bread...not in a bread maker). I'll eat pretty much anything put in front of me when I'm hungry. On a regular basis, I have 'bad' food every day. This includes processed, sugared, salted stuffz. Today was homemade mars bars. Sadly I don't have a pic so google will show you:
    DSC_0070.JPG
  • amandastephens9003
    amandastephens9003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Um whoa this BLEW up LOL

What I mean by "clean eating" (FOR ME!) Is eliminating any DIET foods, ie Weight Watchers, South Beach, Lean Cuisine... that full of sodium processed junk. <<That i wish my friend who is 5'3 and weighs almost 300 pounds would STOP eating! I beileve it is doing her bp/fat loss more harm than good>>

I do enjoy a baked good, chocolate, ice cream, and cheesecake, once a month. I find that if I cut it off completely, i will binge. And of course when I go to a concert... i have to drink!!!! It's a rule :P lol

ETA: I should also add: Medifast, Herbalife, and Plexus Slim
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    IMG_20121213_192717.jpg

Awww that's cute.

Anyway, today I ate a Double Down which probably permanently disqualifies me from the clean eating club.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    IMG_20121213_192717.jpg

Awww that's cute.

Anyway, today I ate a Double Down which probably permanently disqualifies me from the clean eating club.
    I love those things! They're so perfect :love:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Um whoa this BLEW up LOL

What I mean by "clean eating" (FOR ME!) Is eliminating any DIET foods, ie Weight Watchers, South Beach, Lean Cuisine... that full of sodium processed junk. <<That i wish my friend who is 5'3 and weighs almost 300 pounds would STOP eating! I beileve it is doing her bp/fat loss more harm than good>>

I do enjoy a baked good, chocolate, ice cream, and cheesecake, once a month. I find that if I cut it off completely, i will binge. And of course when I go to a concert... i have to drink!!!! It's a rule :P lol

What does your friend have to do with this now? And I eat processed foods, sometimes even a few Lean Cuisine stuff and I've been fine.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Um whoa this BLEW up LOL

My mom enjoys a Lean Cuisine most days at work, but has successfully dropped over 15 (maybe closer to 20 now) pounds since February. So I'm forced to ask, what the hell do you have against Lean Cuisine?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Um whoa this BLEW up LOL

I can almost *guarantee* that nobody else had that in mind. That is *precisely* why we say you can't define clean.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am a dirty eater all the way! After being on this merry-go-round of eating clean, juice fasting, master cleansing (not that I have any problems with any of those! They work great and I had awesome results, it's just that way of eating isn't sustainable for me), really any diet you think of I probably tried it. I've found that I'm not going to change what I eat no matter what I do, so I've been teaching myself portion control and it's been a much easier way of eating for me than anything else I've done. Of course I throw in some salads, apples, carrots, celery in there, but they don't make up the majority of what I eat. But I'm also a vegetarian so I don't eat meat either (does that make my diet sound a little more "clean"?? :wink:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think I eat clean, I never even get to follow the 5 second rule....if I drop it my dogs get it, now they are Dirty Dirty eaters always eating off the floor :noway:

Seriously I eat what I want, for myself that means no soda (causes migraines) and I am a great cook so I really dislike frozen meals this does not make these items bad or dirty...I just don't like them. I keep seeing this argument come up on mfp to me it seems counterproductive, most here with a lot to lose already have a poor relationship with food and attach emotions to it, why do some people feel the need to vilify certain foods. It can make people with a lot to lose that already have strong emotions feel even more confused. Also as someone that as short as 3 years ago never had a weight issue, never even thought about it....most people that have always been fit do not walk around worrying if their food is dirty, they just eat in moderation when hungry; except if they don't have dogs and they drop it, then they are wondering when they mopped last.
  • SarahVibe
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the best best BEST decision of my life! I lost weight quickly and I realized after a few months how unnecessary soda really is. Really, really bad for us. Now, if I ever drink it, which is very very rare, only when I'm drinking whiskey :)..which is unfortunately my favorite drink, it hurts my tongue! The CO2 is so intense, I can't take that carbonation at all. Great job to you! Such a good step to where you are going! :)

I am trying to eat cleaner, as I doooo love my fatty carbs! Do you have any advice on some clean foods? I usually stick to chicken breast, white fish, and veggies like asparagus, peas, or corn, but I am getting tired of these foods. Any advice?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Um whoa this BLEW up LOL

This whole thing post confuses me as the criteria seems a bit arbitrary.

I am 5'3" and used to weigh almost exactly 300lbs. I wonder how many people hypothesized about why I was that weight? I suspect quite a few. For me, it was a medical condition, being way too sedentary, and eating above my (pathetic at the time) maintenance levels. But, I would guess that people who knew me had other theories. Whatever.

Plenty of thin people eat plenty of processed food. I sincerely doubt that you can place all of the blame for her weight on Lean Cuisines and other processed "diet" foods.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't follow your logic about the lean cuisines. I mean, I think they're gross and I don't eat them. But they're not innately unhealthy. They've got a lot of salt, but unless your friend has been told to limit sodium by a doctor she's probably fine.

Aside from that, is she asking for your input? If not, I'd keep it to myself. She's not doing anything harmful and will likely resent you for drawing a seemingly arbitrary line in the sand, where chocolate etc are fine but lean cuisines are bad because reasons.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If not, what do you eat?

I'm pretty flippin' proud of myself, I haven't had a soda in 2 months. It was my addiction! When i drank it, i would would go through at least 3:1 liters a week!
    I've lost 6 pounds... I know that's all water weight but hey it's a first step!
    :)

I am for the most part. I try to eat processed food as little as possible, but at the same time I don't deny myself treats once they fit in my calorie goal and a couple of treat meals.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    SURE - I always wash my veg after harvesting from the garden, i'm not a fan of added soil, slugs and earwigs.
    I also wash my hands between handling different types of food so as not to transfer say raw meat juice onto salad.

:)

seriously though, I prefer to eat actual ingredients that i recognise and understand, i'm not a fan of supplements/shakes/additives....